Sign in to follow this  

When will IG allow partial position closure with PRT auto trading?

Question

Partial closure of a position or scaling out of a position is a standard trading method but when using PRT with IG it is only possible when back testing strategies. It is not possible to put a strategy live either in demo or in real trading - which seems incredible.

I have created many strategies that benefit from partial position closure but I can only trade them manually which is not very practical. I can't see any logical reason why we can back test with partial position closure but cannot run anything live with it.

As a moderator for ProRealCode forums I notice that newbies are often astounded that partial position closure is not possible with IG when using PRT and I guess many will just go elsewhere to find a platform where it is possible to do what they want.

Does IG have any plans to remove this massive auto trading limitation?

1 answer to this question

On 29/11/2019 at 01:39, Vonasi3 said:

Partial closure of a position or scaling out of a position is a standard trading method but when using PRT with IG it is only possible when back testing strategies. It is not possible to put a strategy live either in demo or in real trading - which seems incredible.

I have created many strategies that benefit from partial position closure but I can only trade them manually which is not very practical. I can't see any logical reason why we can back test with partial position closure but cannot run anything live with it.

As a moderator for ProRealCode forums I notice that newbies are often astounded that partial position closure is not possible with IG when using PRT and I guess many will just go elsewhere to find a platform where it is possible to do what they want.

Does IG have any plans to remove this massive auto trading limitation?

I would like to pose the same question. PRT is a great and tool, but can't be used for the majority of strategies due to inability to execute partial position closure. Very frustrating.  Will partial position closure be allowed in V11, and when is it due to be released?