Sign in to follow this  

ISA - No Silver Miners' ETF Tradeable?

We are probably in the early stages of a new precious metals bull market and there is currently no way to get exposure to silver miners through an ETF within the IG ISA. Would it be possible to add the following ETF's to the available options online?

Global X Silver Miners ETF                        NYSEARCA:SIL

ishares MSCI Global Silver Miners ETF     NYSEARCA:SLVP

PureFunds ISE Junior Silver ETF               NYSEARCA: SILJ

Thank you

I don't know what happened to the tickers in my post above but they are all listed on the New York arca exchange and here they are again SIL, SLVP & SILJ

Let's see how this works out :-)

Hi , thanks for the post!

The reason that the ETFs you have requested are not available on our ISA platform is because they are not actually ISA eligible in the underlying market.  In order for an ETF to be ISA eligible, it must either be directly authorised by the FCA for sale to UK retail investors, or passported into the UK under the EU UCITS (Undertaking for Collective Investment in Transferable Securities) rules.

You might find the following link useful: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/512781/ISA_guidance_notes_April_2016.pdf 

I'm pleased to confirm that all the ETFs are however available through our share dealing platform.

I hope this helps, but do let us know if you have any more ETF/ISA queries!

Thanks,

Hannah

Thank you for your helpful reply Hannah, I just got the same reply from Liam on help desk and came here to tell the community.

Sorry for pulling up and old thread but I've just signed up for IG and tried to purchase SILJ through the share dealing platform and I am getting a message that I am prohibited from purchasing this.  Does anyone know why that would be the case?