Jump to content

Use News sources

Recommended Posts

Do you use the IG news sources, and if so, which ones? If you don't, why not? What other news sources do you use (outside of IG), and why? How often do you read your sources? Have you got alerts set for news or do you proactively read the news? How do you use news to affect your trading? Have your sources changed over time?

Share this post


Link to post

I have my workspace set up like this but it does change throughout the day: 

image.png

Further to this I use Bloomberg and the IG news and analysis section to keep me informed. What's your day to day as a trader?

 

Please note, I'm not advising you on which news sources to us. These are just a few I use day to day in my role. 

Share this post


Link to post

Mainly Reuters, I use it for deeper understanding of economic issues and obtaining info about markets.  It mainly reacts to market movements so it's not necessarily helpful for actual trading.  Don't you have to pay to read Bloomberg?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Mainly Reuters, I use it for deeper understanding of economic issues and obtaining info about markets.  It mainly reacts to market movements so it's not necessarily helpful for actual trading.  Don't you have to pay to read Bloomberg?

You do have to pay from Bloomberg I only use it because IG have it in the office. Reuters is also a great one and you can add it to the platform and refine the search. Are there any outside of IG that you use? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Mainly Reuters, I use it for deeper understanding of economic issues and obtaining info about markets.  It mainly reacts to market movements so it's not necessarily helpful for actual trading.  Don't you have to pay to read Bloomberg?

you could pay a subscription there are many news sources from a basic  £50 a month squawk box up to Bloomberg's top offering which is a computer read 250K a month or quarter (can't remember which) that plugs straight into your robot and starts placing your trades before the bloke on the squawk box has even opened his mouth. 👀

Unless you have the latter you will never catch the spike, so wait and look for follow through instead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

You do have to pay from Bloomberg I only use it because IG have it in the office. Reuters is also a great one and you can add it to the platform and refine the search. Are there any outside of IG that you use? 

 

 

I don't use anything else - have looked at other news sources and they don't seem worth the money 🙂  I sometimes look at Youtube videos from DailyFX, IG, Bloomberg and anything else that looks interesting.  FT.com is said to be indispensable, but I'd rather just look at the charts!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

you could pay a subscription there are many news sources from a basic  £50 a month squawk box up to Bloomberg's top offering which is a computer read 250K a month or quarter (can't remember which) that plugs straight into your robot and starts placing your trades before the bloke on the squawk box has even opened his mouth. 👀

Unless you have the latter you will never catch the spike, so wait and look for follow through instead.

@Caseynotes what is it you look at day to day? I know your platform is always set up well due to 'Daily Dashboard' feed. When watching the markets which news sources do you use or is it mainly checking the charts?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CharlotteIG said:

@Caseynotes what is it you look at day to day? I know your platform is always set up well due to 'Daily Dashboard' feed. When watching the markets which news sources do you use or is it mainly checking the charts?

Before market open

 -  check current risk on or risk off ( on = indices and oil up, gold and bonds down. off = opposite ) expect continuation of current until new news affects the charts.

-  note times of up coming news events that day that could affect the markets if outside expectations.

During 

I used to have squawk box years ago but found it a distraction and only told me earlier why the market had jumped or reversed, watching the charts is instant and someone on twitter will tell me why about 30 seconds later anyway (they still have a squawk box).

Also on twitter is info that may come into play in the near future to keep an eye on.

the news feed on the IG web based platform is good (IG pay Reuters well for it) but the IG mt4 news feed is not the same so I don't use.

The more you get used to chart reading the easier it becomes but it does take time.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Great! 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Before market open

 -  check current risk on or risk off ( on = indices and oil up, gold and bonds down. off = opposite ) expect continuation of current until new news affects the charts.

-  note times of up coming news events that day that could affect the markets if outside expectations.

During 

I used to have squawk box years ago but found it a distraction and only told me earlier why the market had jumped or reversed, watching the charts is instant and someone on twitter will tell me why about 30 seconds later anyway (they still have a squawk box).

Also on twitter is info that may come into play in the near future to keep an eye on.

the news feed on the IG web based platform is good (IG pay Reuters well for it) but the IG mt4 news feed is not the same so I don't use.

The more you get used to chart reading the easier it becomes but it does take time.

 

 

I feel like real time is key when trading off news/ spikes so I can see where you're coming from with some news feeds, it may be out only 30 seconds after by the market's moved by then. 

As mentioned in a previous stream we're looking to add a filter for % change which should be of interest to some people. 

Also, I can speak with some developers about the MT4 news feed. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

Also, I can speak with some developers about the MT4 news feed. 

that would be great though I remember James asked a year or so ago and there were no plans to upgrade the mt4 news feed at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

that would be great though I remember James asked a year or so ago and there were no plans to upgrade the mt4 news feed at that time.

I will see what can be done. It would be great to have the feed on the MT4 platform is you're using it. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

I will see what can be done. It would be great to have the feed on the MT4 platform is you're using it. 

As I understand it IG pays Reuters for a squawk type print news feed that it's quicker than their free service but is only available on the web based platform and not included on the mt4 news feed which instead uses the free one.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

I feel like real time is key when trading off news/ spikes so I can see where you're coming from with some news feeds, it may be out only 30 seconds after by the market's moved by then. 

 

Reuters is always very amusing when it begins the day with an article saying 'oil prices bounce on rising demand', and by lunchtime it's turned into 'oil prices sink on growth fears'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

As I understand it IG pays Reuters for a squawk type print news feed that it's quicker than their free service but is only available on the web based platform and not included on the mt4 news feed which instead uses the free one.

This is true but we do have a large amount of traders that love MT4. I will put yourself and any others forward if an up to date feed is needed. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

how do you have your day set up for trading?

Don't understand the question, what are you asking?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mercury said:

Don't understand the question, what are you asking?

Hey, it's what do you use IG news sources? What other news sources do you use (outside of IG), and why? 

 

And most importantly how do you use news to affect your trading?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CharlotteIG said:

t's what do you use IG news sources?

I don't

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/02/2020 at 14:06, Mercury said:

I don't

That's fair enough, different people have different strategies. Thanks for commenting back 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      8,048
    • Total Posts
      44,167
    • Total Members
      55,360
    Newest Member
    DanieBotha
    Joined 18/02/20 05:37
  • Posts

    • There is the 'potential' for a breakout in Natural Gas from these price areas. 
    • One of our financial writers have written a piece on smoking vs vaping vs cannabis. Really interesting read. Here's a snip:  Main points:  Big Tobacco turns smoke into vapour Vaping: UK and US take different approaches … with different results Altria’s JUUL investment costs it dearly US vaping crisis highlights importance of a diverse portfolio Can Big Tobacco thrive as cannabis legalisation gains momentum? Altria gets stung for early move into cannabis Can vaping and other smokeless devices become key to the cannabis market?   Find the full article here: Vaping or cannabis: where’s the growth for Big Tobacco?  
    • I see a trend here ... British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s spokesman refused to comment on Monday when asked about the hiring of an adviser who has discussed the benefits of forced contraception and said data showed the U.S. black population had lower IQ than white people. https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-politics-adviser/johnsons-office-silent-as-rivals-call-for-adviser-to-be-sacked-idUKKBN20B1NI
×
×