Use News sources

Do you use the IG news sources, and if so, which ones? If you don't, why not? What other news sources do you use (outside of IG), and why? How often do you read your sources? Have you got alerts set for news or do you proactively read the news? How do you use news to affect your trading? Have your sources changed over time?

I have my workspace set up like this but it does change throughout the day: 

image.png

Further to this I use Bloomberg and the IG news and analysis section to keep me informed. What's your day to day as a trader?

Please note, I'm not advising you on which news sources to us. These are just a few I use day to day in my role. 

Mainly Reuters, I use it for deeper understanding of economic issues and obtaining info about markets.  It mainly reacts to market movements so it's not necessarily helpful for actual trading.  Don't you have to pay to read Bloomberg?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Mainly Reuters, I use it for deeper understanding of economic issues and obtaining info about markets.  It mainly reacts to market movements so it's not necessarily helpful for actual trading.  Don't you have to pay to read Bloomberg?

You do have to pay from Bloomberg I only use it because IG have it in the office. Reuters is also a great one and you can add it to the platform and refine the search. Are there any outside of IG that you use? 

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

you could pay a subscription there are many news sources from a basic  £50 a month squawk box up to Bloomberg's top offering which is a computer read 250K a month or quarter (can't remember which) that plugs straight into your robot and starts placing your trades before the bloke on the squawk box has even opened his mouth. 👀

Unless you have the latter you will never catch the spike, so wait and look for follow through instead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

You do have to pay from Bloomberg I only use it because IG have it in the office. Reuters is also a great one and you can add it to the platform and refine the search. Are there any outside of IG that you use? 

I don't use anything else - have looked at other news sources and they don't seem worth the money 🙂  I sometimes look at Youtube videos from DailyFX, IG, Bloomberg and anything else that looks interesting.  FT.com is said to be indispensable, but I'd rather just look at the charts!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

you could pay a subscription there are many news sources from a basic  £50 a month squawk box up to Bloomberg's top offering which is a computer read 250K a month or quarter (can't remember which) that plugs straight into your robot and starts placing your trades before the bloke on the squawk box has even opened his mouth. 👀

Unless you have the latter you will never catch the spike, so wait and look for follow through instead.

@Caseynotes what is it you look at day to day? I know your platform is always set up well due to 'Daily Dashboard' feed. When watching the markets which news sources do you use or is it mainly checking the charts?

1 minute ago, CharlotteIG said:

@Caseynotes what is it you look at day to day? I know your platform is always set up well due to 'Daily Dashboard' feed. When watching the markets which news sources do you use or is it mainly checking the charts?

Before market open

-  check current risk on or risk off ( on = indices and oil up, gold and bonds down. off = opposite ) expect continuation of current until new news affects the charts.

-  note times of up coming news events that day that could affect the markets if outside expectations.

During 

I used to have squawk box years ago but found it a distraction and only told me earlier why the market had jumped or reversed, watching the charts is instant and someone on twitter will tell me why about 30 seconds later anyway (they still have a squawk box).

Also on twitter is info that may come into play in the near future to keep an eye on.

the news feed on the IG web based platform is good (IG pay Reuters well for it) but the IG mt4 news feed is not the same so I don't use.

The more you get used to chart reading the easier it becomes but it does take time.

• Like 2
  • Great! 1

19 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Before market open

-  check current risk on or risk off ( on = indices and oil up, gold and bonds down. off = opposite ) expect continuation of current until new news affects the charts.

-  note times of up coming news events that day that could affect the markets if outside expectations.

During 

I used to have squawk box years ago but found it a distraction and only told me earlier why the market had jumped or reversed, watching the charts is instant and someone on twitter will tell me why about 30 seconds later anyway (they still have a squawk box).

Also on twitter is info that may come into play in the near future to keep an eye on.

the news feed on the IG web based platform is good (IG pay Reuters well for it) but the IG mt4 news feed is not the same so I don't use.

The more you get used to chart reading the easier it becomes but it does take time.

I feel like real time is key when trading off news/ spikes so I can see where you're coming from with some news feeds, it may be out only 30 seconds after by the market's moved by then. 

As mentioned in a previous stream we're looking to add a filter for % change which should be of interest to some people. 

Also, I can speak with some developers about the MT4 news feed. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

Also, I can speak with some developers about the MT4 news feed. 

that would be great though I remember James asked a year or so ago and there were no plans to upgrade the mt4 news feed at that time.

1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

that would be great though I remember James asked a year or so ago and there were no plans to upgrade the mt4 news feed at that time.

I will see what can be done. It would be great to have the feed on the MT4 platform is you're using it. 

2 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

I will see what can be done. It would be great to have the feed on the MT4 platform is you're using it. 

As I understand it IG pays Reuters for a squawk type print news feed that it's quicker than their free service but is only available on the web based platform and not included on the mt4 news feed which instead uses the free one.

6 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

I feel like real time is key when trading off news/ spikes so I can see where you're coming from with some news feeds, it may be out only 30 seconds after by the market's moved by then. 

Reuters is always very amusing when it begins the day with an article saying 'oil prices bounce on rising demand', and by lunchtime it's turned into 'oil prices sink on growth fears'.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

As I understand it IG pays Reuters for a squawk type print news feed that it's quicker than their free service but is only available on the web based platform and not included on the mt4 news feed which instead uses the free one.

This is true but we do have a large amount of traders that love MT4. I will put yourself and any others forward if an up to date feed is needed. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

how do you have your day set up for trading?

Don't understand the question, what are you asking?

1 hour ago, Mercury said:

Don't understand the question, what are you asking?

Hey, it's what do you use IG news sources? What other news sources do you use (outside of IG), and why? 

And most importantly how do you use news to affect your trading?

1 hour ago, CharlotteIG said:

t's what do you use IG news sources?

I don't

• Sad 1

On 14/02/2020 at 14:06, Mercury said:

I don't

That's fair enough, different people have different strategies. Thanks for commenting back 🙂