Whats wrong with your MT4 Charts and trading platform - its not working

GOC

Question

18 answers to this question

I had the same problems encountered when using mt4. It seems to be unreliable on ig platform...I am testing out on the demo to see how good it is..but somehow the experiences i have encountered is not very good. It is very unreliable...n slow to update. This is just a demo account..i shudder to think what it would like if i were to run on a live account.
This monday morning following the wekend closing..when i open the chart...it was frozen..did not move for a long time...i had to go look at other brokers platform..to check on the mkt..and by the time it started running..it was way against my posn. Even though it was just a demo...i can see that a profit can possibly turn to a loss in such a situation. 
This problem aside....
another problem is that..when i want to buy or sell....i can never close an order...it will always state invalid price or requote...
When i managed to get into posn...and when i try to exit....by clicking the close order..i can Never execute the trade at all.
When i do a right click and open the the trading menu n click on New order...I noticed that the price quoted is not moving in sync with the chart at all. Its just freeze....while the price on the chart continue to update.
Dont know anyone encountered the same problem.
If this is the way things are...i dont think i have the confident to trade live using mt4....
as in my opinion...it is not stable at all. Other brokers platform does not seem to have this problem.
Hope someone can help enlightenen me what did i do wrong....

7 minutes ago, forex_sniper said:

I had the same problems encountered when using mt4. It seems to be unreliable on ig platform...I am testing out on the demo to see how good it is..but somehow the experiences i have encountered is not very good. It is very unreliable...n slow to update. This is just a demo account..i shudder to think what it would like if i were to run on a live account.
This monday morning following the wekend closing..when i open the chart...it was frozen..did not move for a long time...i had to go look at other brokers platform..to check on the mkt..and by the time it started running..it was way against my posn. Even though it was just a demo...i can see that a profit can possibly turn to a loss in such a situation. 
This problem aside....
another problem is that..when i want to buy or sell....i can never close an order...it will always state invalid price or requote...
When i managed to get into posn...and when i try to exit....by clicking the close order..i can Never execute the trade at all.
When i do a right click and open the the trading menu n click on New order...I noticed that the price quoted is not moving in sync with the chart at all. Its just freeze....while the price on the chart continue to update.
Dont know anyone encountered the same problem.
If this is the way things are...i dont think i have the confident to trade live using mt4....
as in my opinion...it is not stable at all. Other brokers platform does not seem to have this problem.
Hope someone can help enlightenen me what did i do wrong....

I've been using the mt4 live platform all day and not had any problems except sometimes requotes if hitting 'at market' when price is suddenly spiking. 

13 hours ago, GOC said:

Whats wrong with your MT4 Charts and trading platform - its not working

When will your MT4 platform be back on line and become reliable to trade on ?

same problem, have email IG with no reply.  most concerned regarding lack of reliability.  i have used IG platform for years, this is only a problem today but I NEED RELIABILITY.  If not resolved soon will take my business elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

I've been using the mt4 live platform all day and not had any problems except sometimes requotes if hitting 'at market' when price is suddenly spiking. 

Thats the difference...maybe the mt4 live platform is good and alive...but somehow i feel they might have somehow neglected the demo platform...Perhaps..you may try to open a mt4 demo account and run it...to see if you encounter any problem.

2 minutes ago, forex_sniper said:

Thats the difference...maybe the mt4 live platform is good and alive...but somehow i feel they might have somehow neglected the demo platform...Perhaps..you may try to open a mt4 demo account and run it...to see if you encounter any problem.

I've not used the demo platform for years but no demo platform is supposed to be parallel to the live, demo is a test bed for the platform builder's technicians and is more akin to a simulator as well as having a completely different data feed. 

The other problem in markets like this is you can't catch spikes (on any platform) unless you are lucky enough to get in on a brief pause, it's like trading news events, the only reliable way to get in is by using resting orders.

2 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

I've not used the demo platform for years but no demo platform is supposed to be parallel to the live, demo is a test bed for the platform builder's technicians and is more akin to a simulator as well as having a completely different data feed. 

The other problem in markets like this is you can't catch spikes (on any platform) unless you are lucky enough to get in on a brief pause, it's like trading news events, the only reliable way to get in is by using resting orders.

I feel the least a demo platform could do is to at least replicate the price as shown in the live platform..If it can't even do this then whats the point of having a demo. While i dont know abt demo platform being used as a test bed for the technicians..but what i understand is that most brokers would use this to let newbies try their hands to get a comfortable grip to what is the feeling like when trading on the broker's platform. It would be a foolish move to negliect it or simply run it differently from that of the live platform...especially one that show its inefficiency...warts and alll..as potential clients would be discouraged and go for other brokers. What they want is reliability.

For myself...i am using it to test its reliability...i  can only conclude that its totally unreliable. Demo users are not expecting anything extraordinary from the demo platform. What they expect is the reliability...ie. data feeds to be updated and in sync with the live platform....the is the least a platform any broker is expected to provide.

As for using demo as a test bed...i am sure the broker has many other resouces..they could have setup a sandbox version behind the scene where they could do all the testing they want...and not share it with users..who may want to test their trading strategies..which is what a demo platform is supposed to do. How else could one test one's trading strategies if the price is not right.

2 minutes ago, forex_sniper said:

I feel the least a demo platform could do is to at least replicate the price as shown in the live platform..If it can't even do this then whats the point of having a demo. While i dont know abt demo platform being used as a test bed for the technicians..but what i understand is that most brokers would use this to let newbies try their hands to get a comfortable grip to what is the feeling like when trading on the broker's platform. It would be a foolish move to negliect it or simply run it differently from that of the live platform...especially one that show its inefficiency...warts and alll..as potential clients would be discouraged and go for other brokers. What they want is reliability.

For myself...i am using it to test its reliability...i  can only conclude that its totally unreliable. Demo users are not expecting anything extraordinary from the demo platform. What they expect is the reliability...ie. data feeds to be updated and in sync with the live platform....the is the least a platform any broker is expected to provide.

As for using demo as a test bed...i am sure the broker has many other resouces..they could have setup a sandbox version behind the scene where they could do all the testing they want...and not share it with users..who may want to test their trading strategies..which is what a demo platform is supposed to do. How else could one test one's trading strategies if the price is not right.

the demo and live are different platforms with different feeds. The demo is primarily to allow technicians to test developments before sending them to the live platform, it's the same for any platform developer. The broker allows clients to use the demo but it should really only be used to get an understanding of the layout and controls and also to test strategies but you can't get exactly the same results on demo as live, the demo platform can't actually be linked to the market for obvious reasons.

So for the reasons above no demo platform is as reliable as the live, it's there to enable the live to be as reliable as possible because that's the one that causes broker payouts if it breaks down.

While i understand that demo cannot be fully replicated as the live..but to have it frozen and not being able to open or close a posn for hours is totally unacceptable. You mentioned abt spikes...n i am not talking abt spiking prices...that i can understand it happens...but a normal routine??? that i dont think many users can accept. 
And for your info...i dont find this happening in other brokers demo platform...once in a blue moon..maybe... but not so often and and for so long. Perhaps...they dont give priority to demo account...i dont know...
I am sure i am not the only one who experience this..... 

35 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

the demo and live are different platforms with different feeds. The demo is primarily to allow technicians to test developments before sending them to the live platform, it's the same for any platform developer. The broker allows clients to use the demo but it should really only be used to get an understanding of the layout and controls and also to test strategies but you can't get exactly the same results on demo as live, the demo platform can't actually be linked to the market for obvious reasons.

So for the reasons above no demo platform is as reliable as the live, it's there to enable the live to be as reliable as possible because that's the one that causes broker payouts if it breaks down.

While i understand that demo cannot be fully replicated as the live..but to have it frozen and not being able to open or close a posn for hours is totally unacceptable. You mentioned abt spikes...n i am not talking abt spiking prices...that i can understand it happens...but a normal routine??? that i dont think many users can accept. 
And for your info...i dont find this happening in other brokers demo platform...once in a blue moon..maybe... but not so often and and for so long. Perhaps...they dont give priority to demo account over here...i dont know...

13 minutes ago, forex_sniper said:

And for your info...i dont find this happening in other brokers demo platform...once in a blue moon..maybe... but not so often and and for so long. Perhaps...they dont give priority to demo account over here...i dont know...

yes I understand but this last week has been exceptional and even the live web based platform has suffered under the intense pressure. I've been on the live mt4 platform all day every day and as I said earlier it's been fine except for occasional requotes which were half expected.

Edited by Caseynotes
8 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

yes I understand but this last week has been exceptional and even the live web based platform has suffered under the intense pressure. I've been on the live mt4 platform all day every day and as I said earlier it's been fine except for occasional requotes which were half expected.

Thanks for the reply. 
Reckon we will never know the true picture unless we can get a respond from the horse's mouth... But hearing from them is a rarity. You will either get no reply, or they will direct you to get community help over here which is usually the case ...or sometimes you need to tell  them what to do. 

1 minute ago, forex_sniper said:

Thanks for the reply. 
Reckon we will never know the true picture unless we can get a respond from the horse's mouth... But hearing from them is a rarity. You will either get no reply, or they will direct you to get community help over here which is usually the case ...or sometimes you need to tell  them what to do. 

yes the helpdesk support (lack of) has been just as big an issue as the platform problems that have continued all last week and into today as well in spite of the extended shutdown over the weekend to address the problems.

On 16/03/2020 at 15:17, Caseynotes said:

Sorry but I have to ask the question if you are being paid off by IG? For some odd reason you are allegedly the only one who has almost no problems with opening/closing positions or chart delays/freezes. I can tell you I have a live account and it's been an absolute mess these last days which is absolutely unacceptable even more so because the other broker I am using does not have any issues. No need to mention that it caused me losses and other inconveniences. All of this is unacceptable. 

On 23/03/2020 at 03:01, AndrewK said:

Sorry but I have to ask the question if you are being paid off by IG? For some odd reason you are allegedly the only one who has almost no problems with opening/closing positions or chart delays/freezes. I can tell you I have a live account and it's been an absolute mess these last days which is absolutely unacceptable even more so because the other broker I am using does not have any issues. No need to mention that it caused me losses and other inconveniences. All of this is unacceptable. 

I have the mt4 platform running from 6am till 10pm often 7 days a week and am generally sat in front of it from 6am to 3pm Mon-Fri and have done for many years. During the last couple of weeks I noticed 1 time the data feed stopped for a duration of less than 3 minutes. Placing trades I occasionally get the spinning timer then notice of requote but only during a short fast moving period, otherwise all trades have been executed without problem. 90% of the problems I've seen reported on the forum have been reported by those using the demo platform. Not I don't work for IG and good luck with your other broker 🙂