Jump to content

When intervention does not work.


Recommended Posts

Coordinated action from the world's central banks have failed to calm market sentiment. Why? Because it is not the cure for Corvid 19, because the money being poured into equity and debt is partly going to the wrong place. Because the markets are still open. The only survivors will be the cash rich. Normal people however face mounting financial meltdown.  Watching one's 401k evaporate in a matter of weeks is not good for ones constitution. More so, those who shifted their pensions to market trackers, which everyone would have agreed was the most sensible thing to do say, six weeks ago. Right now, traders everywhere are realising to stop this virus the world trade has to almost stop for 51++ days.  Never before imagined. But here we are. World trade will effectively shut down by up 70+% for 2 months. Maybe more. Hopefully less. This is hurting everyone, but those normal folks who are on zero hours contracts, have anything to do with tourism, flights, sports, airports, transport,restaurants, oil and related services, banks, or  have tight profit margins are going to experience real pain. Or go bust. Insurers are in a bit of a sweat too.  Sure Netflix, Amazon and online food retailers are in for a boon. But the positives are outweighed by the negatives.

I went to my big supermarket this morning (Tesco), had to see for myself what is actually happening. It is carnage, palpable panic. It was full and partly empty at the same time. There was no toilet paper (of course), eggs, tinned food, pasta, dog food, beer, anti-bacterial wipes, beef and pork, whole milk and potatoes. Impressive. Naturally I saw opportunity. Couldn't help it. I was also the only one wearing a mask (very busy crowd) and gloves. The penny hasn't dropped yet for most people and they are wondering what the fuss is about. My son tells me lots of kids are coughing at his school. I am seriously thinking of taking him out of school. Point being people are still in shock and clueless. Like the markets.Here in UK our Corvid 19 numbers are inaccurate as they only test in hospital and those infected are being encouraged NOT to go hospital, making accurate assessments of the true numbers involved impossible.

Back to the point about intervention and why it's not working for very long.  Interest rates are an irrelevance in this situation. Direct investment in people will help, certainly it will help the majority of normal people and small business owners.  Providing unlimited credit to banks and trading houses will keep the banks afloat but not airlines or tour operators.  Statutory sick pay of £92 pw covers few of life's expenses. Constantly funneling resources where it is not needed instead of where it is will only exacerbate the problems.   My boss, by the way is not a happy bunny (his pensions are heading west faster than his hairline).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, 786Trader said:

Coordinated action from the world's central banks have failed to calm market sentiment. Why? Because it is not the cure for Corvid 19, because the money being poured into equity and debt is partly going to the wrong place. Because the markets are still open. The only survivors will be the cash rich. Normal people however face mounting financial meltdown.  Watching one's 401k evaporate in a matter of weeks is not good for ones constitution. More so, those who shifted their pensions to market trackers, which everyone would have agreed was the most sensible thing to do say, six weeks ago. Right now, traders everywhere are realising to stop this virus the world trade has to almost stop for 51++ days.  Never before imagined. But here we are. World trade will effectively shut down by up 70+% for 2 months. Maybe more. Hopefully less. This is hurting everyone, but those normal folks who are on zero hours contracts, have anything to do with tourism, flights, sports, airports, transport,restaurants, oil and related services, banks, or  have tight profit margins are going to experience real pain. Or go bust. Insurers are in a bit of a sweat too.  Sure Netflix, Amazon and online food retailers are in for a boon. But the positives are outweighed by the negatives.

I went to my big supermarket this morning (Tesco), had to see for myself what is actually happening. It is carnage, palpable panic. It was full and partly empty at the same time. There was no toilet paper (of course), eggs, tinned food, pasta, dog food, beer, anti-bacterial wipes, beef and pork, whole milk and potatoes. Impressive. Naturally I saw opportunity. Couldn't help it. I was also the only one wearing a mask (very busy crowd) and gloves. The penny hasn't dropped yet for most people and they are wondering what the fuss is about. My son tells me lots of kids are coughing at his school. I am seriously thinking of taking him out of school. Point being people are still in shock and clueless. Like the markets.Here in UK our Corvid 19 numbers are inaccurate as they only test in hospital and those infected are being encouraged NOT to go hospital, making accurate assessments of the true numbers involved impossible.

Back to the point about intervention and why it's not working for very long.  Interest rates are an irrelevance in this situation. Direct investment in people will help, certainly it will help the majority of normal people and small business owners.  Providing unlimited credit to banks and trading houses will keep the banks afloat but not airlines or tour operators.  Statutory sick pay of £92 pw covers few of life's expenses. Constantly funneling resources where it is not needed instead of where it is will only exacerbate the problems.   My boss, by the way is not a happy bunny (his pensions are heading west faster than his hairline).

 

 

Isn't all the mass buying an example of stupid behaviour?  Seems like a command-and-control system would actually be more rational under the circumstances.

Link to comment
Guest Penguin1
16 hours ago, dmedin said:

"Health officials have said 35 people have died from coronavirus in Britain"

 

There have probably been more people killed in drunk driving accidents this month.

Historians will look back and wonder why with a world population approaching 7 billion, the deaths of some tens of thousands caused so much alarm and panic. During wars, famines and plagues people died in the hundreds of thousands to millions with a much smaller world population.  How many die every day from gun related incidents, road traffic accidents, starvation or malaria?

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Guest Penguin1 said:

Historians will look back and wonder why with a world population approaching 7 billion, the deaths of some tens of thousands caused so much alarm and panic. During wars, famines and plagues people died in the hundreds of thousands to millions with a much smaller world population.  How many die every day from gun related incidents, road traffic accidents, starvation or malaria?

 

Meanwhile, the guys who instigated the war in Iraq (which resulted in up to 500,000 deaths and cost trillions of dollars) live in luxury to this day.

Edited by dmedin
Link to comment
17 hours ago, dmedin said:

 

 

Isn't all the mass buying an example of stupid behaviour?  Seems like a command-and-control system would actually be more rational under the circumstances.

Apropos of which, I have certainly been a contrarian and not followed the crowd.

I may end up having to use my curtains lol

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      19,088
    • Total Posts
      85,902
    • Total Members
      68,286
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    chojnos31
    Joined 05/07/22 21:22
  • Posts

    • Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Stock Market Trading NASDAQ, AMZN, AAPL, NVDA, TSLA, GOOGL, BRK.B, SQ, META, MSFT, BAC, JPM.  Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Stocks are in the later stages of the move down (5) of C) of II. That said we are currently in a bear market rally. Covering Tesla TSLA, Amazon AMZN, Nvidia (NVDA), Apple AAPL, Microsoft MSFT, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK/B),Block, Inc (SQ), Facebook FB, Meta Platforms, Alphabet GOOGL. XFL Finance Sector ETF, JPMorgan JPM & Bank of America BAC. Stock Market Summary: An Elliott Impuse wave lower in most stocks is completed and now we are in the iii of (c) corrective rally as Wave ii) Stock Trading strategies: short trades at the 61.8% retracement of Wave (c) of ii) in most markets Video Chapters 00:00 NASDAQ 100 05:15 Apple (AAPL) 12:08 NVIDIA (NVDA) 13:57 Amazon (AMZN) 16:36 Meta Platforms (META) 18:40 Tesla (TSLA) 22:45 Alphabet (GOOGL)  22:59 Microsoft (MSFT) 24:40 Berkshire Hathaway BRK/B 25:44 Square. Block, Inc. (SQ)  26:53 Banks XFL ETF, BAC, JPM 30:16 Thanks for supporting us... Peter Mathers started trading in 1982 he has a wealth of experience; his videos are highly educational and professional. When you join tradinglounge as a member you will have access to all the analysis and trades that we do across all our markets, that’s 120 videos per month and chart for indices, stocks, crypto, commodities and forex. Tradinglounge is one of the most cost-effective Elliott wave services on the market. You will learn more about Elliott Wave and the TradingLevels method for safer entries, stops and targets. Welcome to TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817    
    • With some suggesting that copper is going into surplus, IGTV’s Jeremy Naylor chatted to SP Angel’s John Meyer to ask what is causing the move? Is it China, the threat of recession, or just too much copper being mined?  
    • Jul 4, 2022 | DailyFX James Stanley, Senior Strategist It’s been a rough year for stocks but I don’t think that the low is in just yet. Maybe something along those lines happens in Q3, some type of bottoming effect, but I’m not anticipating as such from where we’re at now. The Fed has shifted and at this point, that seems fairly obvious. What makes me retain a bearish approach towards equities is how there’s still so much ‘buy the dip’ mentality showing around global markets. And while the Fed has already made some inroads towards tighter policy, we still have yet to see any significant response with inflation which means the Fed is going to have to keep hiking until something begins to shift. And at this point there simply is a lack of evidence suggesting that this may be near and, if anything, there’s evidence pointing in the other direction with impact still set to show from the lockdown in China and the ongoing war in Ukraine. The effects of higher rates are also likely to bring a larger toll on emerging markets, which could, in turn, bring additional impact to US equities that like to sell products and derive revenue from these economies. Combine that with an expected pinch in Europe as inflation scales higher and there’s not a lot of optimism on the horizon for equities and at this point stocks are still quite overvalued compared to historical norms. I’m going to retain my bearish stance on US equities into Q3, specifically looking at the Nasdaq and S&P 500. But, even the Dow brings some bearish potential into Q3 as prices have, so far, tested but not broken below, a critical set of supports straddling the 30k psychological level. DOW JONES There’s a major spot of support on the Dow Jones chart running from a Fibonacci level at 29671 up to another Fibonacci level at 30,109. In between those two, we have the 30k psychological level so this is a big batch of support on the Dow Jones chart. And, just as it did in early 2021, this spot has so far helped to cauterize the lows as bulls have provoked a bounce. This has so far led to a mild bounce and that bounce may continue for a little while but, there’s resistance overhead at 31,393 and then another confluent zone around 32,500 that could prove as problematic for bears. I think the support zone around 30k could give way in Q3. The next confluent support zone on my chart is around 27,459, which is a little over 10% away from current price, as of this writing. DOW JONES WEEKLY CHART (2018-PRESENT) Chart created with TradingView, prepared by James Stanley S&P 500 For my Q2 top trade, one of the big sticking points in the S&P 500 was a confluent zone of support that was previously tested in Q1 but, by the end of the quarter, hadn’t yet given way. This confluent zone was between two Fibonacci levels at 4186 and 4211. It finally gave way in April before showing up as a resistance test in late May. There was another confluent zone between two Fibonacci levels a little bit lower that ran from 3802-3830. This zone came in as support in mid-May and was broken-through in early-June. As of this writing, it’s coming back in as resistance. At this point, the trend seems fairly clear and lower prices seem likely. The bigger question is timing as I’m writing this with a little more than a week before the end of Q2. But, this bounce may run for a little while longer as there’s still some open gap running above the 3900 level. For Q3, I want to look for price to move down towards 3500, which is around the 50% mark of the pandemic move. This would be a loss of approximately 7.5% from current price and given the backdrop, it seems a reasonable support target. There is another more important zone, however, and that’s down around 3200. There are two Fibonacci levels straddling that price and that’s about -14.3% away. It would be a bit aggressive for a move in a single quarter but I’m not going to rule it out – instead, I’ll merely mark that as a support target that I think can come into play by the end of the year. S&P 500 WEEKLY PRICE CHART (2018 – PRESENT) Chart created with TradingView, prepared by James Stanley NASDAQ The Nasdaq continues to show a more developed bearish trend and I think this will remain the case through Q3. While the S&P 500 is currently finding resistance at the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement of the pandemic move, the Nasdaq is finding resistance at the 50% mark of its own move around that same period of time. And while the S&P 500 has drawn down by as much as 24.32%, the Nasdaq has given up as much as 34% from the high set last November. And this makes sense: With rates moving higher, the riskier tech-heavy index has become more vulnerable. And as rates continue to jump funding to companies will become more difficult and this is something that can continue to negatively impact higher-beta issues that populate the Nasdaq. The next spot of support on my longer-term Nasdaq chart rests in the zone from 10,500-10,750, the former of which is the 61.8% retracement of the pandemic move. That’s a little under 10% from current prices and seems a reasonable support target for Q3. Should the move continue to develop, which given the drivers, it can, then a 10k print can’t be ruled out from the equation. NASDAQ 100 WEEKLY CHART (JUNE 2018 – PRESENT) Chart created with TradingView, prepared by James Stanley  
×
×
  • Create New...