Increased spreads

I don't trade the IG cash market after hours as the spreads are too high as well. It is only if I am already in a trade that I will continue. If the spreads were halved  I probably would trade and it used to be so. I will also look at Corespreads. Thanks

2 minutes ago, InTheDark said:

I don't trade the IG cash market after hours as the spreads are too high as well. It is only if I am already in a trade that I will continue. If the spreads were halved  I probably would trade and it used to be so. I will also look at Corespreads. Thanks

Dax spread down to 2.8 points today (normal trading hours), still above the normal 1 point but getting there.

• Thought provoking 1
19 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

the US regulator (SEC) has placed a very hefty minimum account size for retail clients trading in the US, I can't remember exactly but $24,000 comes to mind.

I think you are talking about the pattern daytrading limitations, that only applies to US traders. The margin requirements has been higher lately, but that's a discussion to be had with AMP.

Regards,
Molibar

1 minute ago, Molibar said:

I think you are talking about the pattern daytrading limitations, that only applies to US traders. The margin requirements has been higher lately, but that's a discussion to be had with AMP.

Regards,
Molibar

no, it applies to anyone trading through a US company that is regulated by SEC. When the EU regulator lowered leverage here many looked to dodge the new regs and trade via the US but all reported that they found they would need to adhere to the min account rule.

• Thought provoking 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest pdast
On 03/04/2020 at 02:49, Molibar said:

CoreSpreads trading interface is horrible, but I've opened up an account and have been demo trading today. It took me less than an hour to get into their order flow, which is really simple, which for me means absolute garbage. With IG's offer on ProRealTime you get a really good trading platform with a lot of power. I've been using Sierra Charts for futures trading, and that blows everything else straight out of the water. The types of orders you can put on is mind blowing.

I totally disagree with what you and BigDeal is saying about understanding IG when it comes to their insane spreads. Their marketing material is lying, you don't get even close to the spreads they boast about. They have been willingly taking the majority of their clients money since they started, and now when volatility comes in they decide they want a bigger piece of the pie. Unacceptable.. Their increased risk, if they were actually hedging their clients trades, would be zero, and with the increased trading they should even be able to tighten the spreads.

Tomorrow I will continue demo trading, and on Monday I will probably vote my way out of IG with my feet.. ..if I can get over CoreSpread's impotent trading interface:)..

Regards,
Molibar

On 03/04/2020 at 02:49, Molibar said:

CoreSpreads trading interface is horrible, but I've opened up an account and have been demo trading today. It took me less than an hour to get into their order flow, which is really simple, which for me means absolute garbage. With IG's offer on ProRealTime you get a really good trading platform with a lot of power. I've been using Sierra Charts for futures trading, and that blows everything else straight out of the water. The types of orders you can put on is mind blowing.

I totally disagree with what you and BigDeal is saying about understanding IG when it comes to their insane spreads. Their marketing material is lying, you don't get even close to the spreads they boast about. They have been willingly taking the majority of their clients money since they started, and now when volatility comes in they decide they want a bigger piece of the pie. Unacceptable.. Their increased risk, if they were actually hedging their clients trades, would be zero, and with the increased trading they should even be able to tighten the spreads.

Tomorrow I will continue demo trading, and on Monday I will probably vote my way out of IG with my feet.. ..if I can get over CoreSpread's impotent trading interface:)..

Regards,
Molibar

How are you getting on with CoreSpreads?

15 hours ago, Guest pdast said:

How are you getting on with CoreSpreads?

CoreSpreads are dirt cheap. I've moved back to IG now though, since they lowered their DAX and YM spreads to more sensible levels. The DAX spreads are still lower at CS, and same thing with the YM spreads. On CS they are both fixed to 1 point.

As I said previously, the platform is quite horrible to trade with compared to ProRealTime, and the drawing tools are even worse, so it feels ok to pay a little bit extra in spreads for ProRealTime, but not the previous 8-12 times as much as it was a month ago. I'm still hoping that IG will honour their marketing material promise and return to the spreads they brag about.

Regards,
Molibar

Guest pdast
1 hour ago, Molibar said:

CoreSpreads are dirt cheap. I've moved back to IG now though, since they lowered their DAX and YM spreads to more sensible levels. The DAX spreads are still lower at CS, and same thing with the YM spreads. On CS they are both fixed to 1 point.

As I said previously, the platform is quite horrible to trade with compared to ProRealTime, and the drawing tools are even worse, so it feels ok to pay a little bit extra in spreads for ProRealTime, but not the previous 8-12 times as much as it was a month ago. I'm still hoping that IG will honour their marketing material promise and return to the spreads they brag about.

Regards,
Molibar

Thank-you for the detailed reply.

I am using both IG and CS demo accounts, I mainly trade the US 500 futures so the spreads are only 1 and 0.4 respectively. Not a deal breaker.

FTSE 100 futures spread is 4 on both platforms. Rolling IG 4 CS 0.4.

Both have negative balance protection.

I am not too bothered about the charting ability of the platforms as I use other free sites for that.

Did you go live at CS, if so were the conditions like the tight spreads the same as when using their demo?

They seem to have been around since 2014 and mostly good reviews on the many review sites I have read but always difficult to know if they are genuine reviews.

On 24/04/2020 at 14:50, Guest pdast said:

Thank-you for the detailed reply.

I am using both IG and CS demo accounts, I mainly trade the US 500 futures so the spreads are only 1 and 0.4 respectively. Not a deal breaker.

FTSE 100 futures spread is 4 on both platforms. Rolling IG 4 CS 0.4.

Both have negative balance protection.

I am not too bothered about the charting ability of the platforms as I use other free sites for that.

Did you go live at CS, if so were the conditions like the tight spreads the same as when using their demo?

They seem to have been around since 2014 and mostly good reviews on the many review sites I have read but always difficult to know if they are genuine reviews.

I'm live on both, and CS has consistently lower spreads for spread betting.

DAX 1 vs 1.2
FTSE  0.4 vs 1
Dow 2 vs 3.6 (DOW is closed at the moment, during opening hours both are cheaper, but CS still wins)

Regards,
Molibar

• 3 months later...
On 22/03/2020 at 15:52, Caseynotes said:

If your target is just 20 points then a 7 point spread rather than the normal 1 point is significant but the other factor is the reason for the increased spread and that is increased volatility which means any move is more likely to run further than during times of normal volatility so an increased target should be considered.

But the spread 1.6 was changed to 2.4 after March, don't you think it is still reasonable? 

On 27/08/2020 at 12:29, Guest kkk said:

But the spread 1.6 was changed to 2.4 after March, don't you think it is still reasonable? 

sorry, lost the thread of the thread but ultimately IG operate a variable spread system ( which I condone) so 1 or 3? will depend on near term volatility.

If the spread is getting too wide it means the BIG boys are out and playing and perhaps might be a good time to sit it out on the sidelines.