Adam Tooze

"UK’s trade balance shifts heavily into surplus. Good news you say. Until you look at the export numbers. They are sharply down -> Just imagine what is happening to domestic demand for imports to fall by enough to produce that net surplus!"

Welcome to your self inflicted recession.

image.png.dd825877bb561e055865c3362633eaa2.png

image.png.ada1a4512b8a307e56feb4ff059ff529.png

Yes, the UK will be an independent 'powerhouse' after it leaves the EU.  Because we produce, like, so much stuff that the world wants :D 

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Yes, the UK will be an independent 'powerhouse' after it leaves the EU.  Because we produce, like, so much stuff that the world wants :D 

don't speak too soon, EU GDP coming up at 10am expected at minus 15%.

• Sad 1

was reading that in an interview for the Sunday Times Johnson said he never realised that shutting down the economy would cause a recession? is everyone in this country an idiot?

• Great! 1

6 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

was reading that in an interview for the Sunday Times Johnson said he never realised that shutting down the economy would cause a recession? is everyone in this country an idiot?

It'll get worse when the UK is divorced from the EU and the foreigners are sent away :(

46 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

I guess the next big thing will be the realization that shops, buses, trains etc. actually need a certain volume of paying customers to make a profit and stay in business rather than the slow trickle of an old man's prostrate currently allowed under the distancing measures. I saw someone refused entry to a bus yesterday because it was 'full'. It had four people on it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I guess the next big thing will be the realization that shops, buses, trains etc. actually need a certain volume of paying customers to make a profit and stay in business rather than the slow trickle of an old man's prostrate currently allowed under the distancing measures. I saw someone refused entry to a bus yesterday because it was 'full'. It had four people on it. 

So long as these ridiculous restrictions are in place the government has a duty to provide subsidies.  How can we expect businesses to stay afloat under these conditions?  It's worse in America where millions of unemployed are already lining up at the soup kitchens.  I'm surprised more cities aren't burning down there (well I guess the police and the army are pretty f*king brutal there)

12 minutes ago, dmedin said:

So long as these ridiculous restrictions are in place the government has a duty to provide subsidies.  How can we expect businesses to stay afloat under these conditions?  It's worse in America where millions of unemployed are already lining up at the soup kitchens.  I'm surprised more cities aren't burning down there (well I guess the police and the army are pretty f*king brutal there)

The cities are not burning because of the lockdown, the lockdown was by bipartisan agreement, the Dems wanted a harder and longer lockdown.