Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Sorry Fresh Newbie here - Buying Shares

Probably a very stupid question (first time trading) I wanted to buy 2 shares in a company (stock price 350) I'm assuming this ends up being £700 total right? When I go to buy the shares on Quote, it says 'minimum consideration is £90'. Am I missing something here?

Regular Contributor

Re: Sorry Fresh Newbie here - Buying Shares

Stock in the uk? It’s probably based in pence so 350 means £3.50. You should have the option to select the amount of money you want to invest rather than the number of shares to buy and it’ll work out the most you can for that set amount.

Let us know 😁
New Contributor

Wow! As you can see, first time buyer with a real dumb question - that makes sense now - thanks for that.

So for US companies like Apple, it has its share price at 189 - is this $189.00 per share? Or cents?

Regular Contributor

So American shares are actually quoted in USD. And European shares are in EUR. However you can sometimes get UK shares listed in EUR or USD as well and also listed in pounds rather than Pence so It’s a little hard to get to grips with.

You can always use the ‘get quote’ button to give an indication without actually accepting the deal to get an understand if you don’t know. Also check google finance at the top it says if it’s GBP or GBp (£ Vs p) or in any other currency Smiley Happy