Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor

Any fix for Pivot Points on a Monday?

Hi,

I trade the DAX and FTSE using a 5-min chart and every Monday the pivot points indicator is messed up because of the sunday market. I've created a screenshot with a couple of drawings to hopefully show it. Is there a way to fix it please? Either to turn sundays data off from my charts. Or can the IG team please fix the pivot point indicator so on these particular markets it uses fridays data when creating mondays pivot points? I saw another member ask the identical question here but I didn't see a reply to them so I thought I'd ask again. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happypivots-monday.png

New Contributor

Re: Any fix for Pivot Points on a Monday?

The pivot point indicator puts all of the pivot points in the wrong place the indicator takes into account the out of hrs price movement. The majority of traders calculate the pivot points using only the open hrs of the market they are trading. Dax open hrs are 08:00 to 16:45 UK time and FTSE are 08:00 and ends at 16:30.

To calculate your own pivot points is the best way for them to be correct is to take the HI the low and close price from the previous day inside the hrs above then I use a a app called pivot point calculator to enter this information into then I use point to point lines on chart drawings to place the pivot points onto the chart. see picture. I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 18.27.45.jpg

New Contributor

Thanks for trying to help Gaz777 but I've traded with pivot points for over a decade, I didn't ask for an opinion on how other people trade with them. My question still stands for IG staff Smiley Happy

Hi @c-satch

We offer FTSEGermany 30 and Wall Street markets Sunday trading from 8am until 10.40pm, the IG platform does not have the functionality where you can set custom trading hours for the charts, it will always display all the data.

If you would like to set your trading hours for charts then it is possible on ProRealTime which we offer through IG, however this will limit the historical data you are able to see.

If you would like more information on ProRealTime then please use this link: https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platform-prorealtime

Thanks

Anton

Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have a problem with Pivot Points on the new platform. Namely, I cannot shrink the width sufficiently like it is on the mobile app. The lines are just too thick even if setting are changed to reduce the size. For example s1 covers the size of over 3 pips! Any ideas why the lines are so thick?

KS

Hi @Kaly

We have received some reports where users find the pivot points to be too wide, I have added your feedback to the list and we will look at improving this indicator going forward.

Thanks

Anton

Highlighted

Hi,

My problem is nearly the same as c-satch.  I only trade using cash hours data.  IG have pivot points set for the whole of the day which is misleading for me.  I know you can alter size, width of the lines etc, but as you've nearly got all the info in the edit part of the pivot tool, I would like the option to put my own Hi/Low/close in that edit mode so it will then give me "in hours" data.  I would then only have to put three figures in it and its done.  Can you help?  I cannot understate how important this is for me...and many others.  

Thanks