Selling Options With IG / Spreadbetting

Hello IG community — 

I sell options using IBKR for a living. 

Someone said you can sell options using IG spread betting account and therefore making it tax free. 

I don't understand how it works. 

Here is the TSLA options chain for an at the money put option. If I sell the 190 put option, how much premium am I getting paid for writing (selling) this put option? 

Usually selling this option would pay the ask price price in premium. 

So it might be $6.6/share so $660 in premium income. 

I don't understand the per point or margin figures. 

Can someone help me understand how this works. 

Rgs, 

Kev  

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.47.09.png

Edited by kevnea
19 hours ago, kevnea said:

Hello IG community — 

I sell options using IBKR for a living. 

Someone said you can sell options using IG spread betting account and therefore making it tax free. 

I don't understand how it works. 

Here is the TSLA options chain for an at the money put option. If I sell the 190 put option, how much premium am I getting paid for writing (selling) this put option? 

Usually selling this option would pay the ask price price in premium. 

So it might be $6.6/share so $660 in premium income. 

I don't understand the per point or margin figures. 

Can someone help me understand how this works. 

Rgs, 

Kev  

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.47.09.png

Dear @kevnea,

Thank you for your post.

Please note that the 660 is the premium, please also consider the commission that will be paid and the number of lots you are buying as well.

Thanks, 

KoketsoIG

Please rate us on Trustpilot: IG Trustpilot 

• 2 months later...

I believe, (open to being corrected) thatyou multiply 660 by the price per point to give you the maximum premium you get. The price per point will only go up to the maximum and the chart will flat line. I often close early if it has reached 70% of the premium especially if it does it quite rapidly. That way I can open another position. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gillh said:

I believe, (open to being corrected) thatyou multiply 660 by the price per point to give you the maximum premium you get. The price per point will only go up to the maximum and the chart will flat line. I often close early if it has reached 70% of the premium especially if it does it quite rapidly. That way I can open another position. 

Hi @gillh,

You do multiply the premium by the size yes.

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

Please rate us on Trustpilot: IG Trustpilot 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart)   Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with AMCOR PLC – AMC. We see that AMC is about to continue pushing higher with the 3-grey wave of (3)-orange.   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis Function: Major trend (Intermediate degree, orange) Mode: Motive   Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((iii))-navy of Wave 3-grey of Wave (3)-orange Details: The short-term outlook shows that wave ((ii))-navy looks like it has just ended and wave ((iii))-navy is opening to push higher. Invalidation point: 14.79   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4- Hour Chart) ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC 4-Hour Chart Analysis Function: Major trend (Minuette degree, orange) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave (i)-orange of Wave ((iii))-navy of Wave 3-grey Details: The shorter-term outlook shows that wave (i)-orange is unfolding and will soon complete, followed by wave (ii)-orange opening to push slightly lower, and then wave (iii) -orange back to push higher, aiming for a target at around 16.13. Invalidation point: 14.79   Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends.   Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation). Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD) XRPUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Triangle Position: Wave E Direction Next higher Degrees: wave 4 of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.486 Details: Movement within the triangle pattern before the price Declines again in Wave 5. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Trading Strategy: Decreasing wave ((E)), which is the last wave in the Triangle pattern before prices re-enter the uptrend. So wait for the correction to complete to join the trend again. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.   Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart, Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD) XRPUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Triangle Position: Wave E Direction Next higher Degrees: wave 4 of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.486 Details: Movement within the triangle pattern before the price Declines again in Wave 5. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Trading Strategy: Decreasing wave ((E)), which is the last wave in the Triangle pattern before prices re-enter the uptrend. So wait for the correction to complete to join the trend again. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.   Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • @KoketsoIG Thanks. How soon can we expect an update on the release date? It's been a couple of years with the same update: "we are currently waiting for the product team." We just want to make sure to have a rough estimate.
us