Selling Options With IG / Spreadbetting

Hello IG community — 

I sell options using IBKR for a living. 

Someone said you can sell options using IG spread betting account and therefore making it tax free. 

I don't understand how it works. 

Here is the TSLA options chain for an at the money put option. If I sell the 190 put option, how much premium am I getting paid for writing (selling) this put option? 

Usually selling this option would pay the ask price price in premium. 

So it might be $6.6/share so $660 in premium income. 

I don't understand the per point or margin figures. 

Can someone help me understand how this works. 

Rgs, 

Kev  

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.47.09.png

Edited by kevnea
19 hours ago, kevnea said:

Hello IG community — 

I sell options using IBKR for a living. 

Someone said you can sell options using IG spread betting account and therefore making it tax free. 

I don't understand how it works. 

Here is the TSLA options chain for an at the money put option. If I sell the 190 put option, how much premium am I getting paid for writing (selling) this put option? 

Usually selling this option would pay the ask price price in premium. 

So it might be $6.6/share so $660 in premium income. 

I don't understand the per point or margin figures. 

Can someone help me understand how this works. 

Rgs, 

Kev  

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.47.09.png

Dear @kevnea,

Thank you for your post.

Please note that the 660 is the premium, please also consider the commission that will be paid and the number of lots you are buying as well.

Thanks, 

KoketsoIG

Please rate us on Trustpilot: IG Trustpilot 

• 2 months later...

I believe, (open to being corrected) thatyou multiply 660 by the price per point to give you the maximum premium you get. The price per point will only go up to the maximum and the chart will flat line. I often close early if it has reached 70% of the premium especially if it does it quite rapidly. That way I can open another position. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gillh said:

I believe, (open to being corrected) thatyou multiply 660 by the price per point to give you the maximum premium you get. The price per point will only go up to the maximum and the chart will flat line. I often close early if it has reached 70% of the premium especially if it does it quite rapidly. That way I can open another position. 

Hi @gillh,

You do multiply the premium by the size yes.

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

Please rate us on Trustpilot: IG Trustpilot