Jump to content

Income Tax as a Foreigner

Recommended Posts

So I am a foreigner that used to study in Australia, and I have paid taxes before when i was working. However now that I am back in my own Country do i have to pay taxes as a foreigner for any profit gain in my IG stock account? This has been bothering for awhile, cause if I do have to pay taxes it will take a significant amount from my profit. Hope someone has the answer to this. Thank you.

Link to comment
  • 5 weeks later...

Some of the info I've learned:

First you have to look at where your tax residency is. Usually your tax residency comes with a tax number, you'll give this to IG. IG will (I think) then share the details of your account with the tax service of your country of residence, if they ask about it.

Your country of residency (which is generally where you pay taxes, unless you're US national in which case you pay taxes there) now knows how much you've made (assuming they check, I can't say if they do) and how much you're supposed to pay taxes on it.

Which is debatable. Some countries tax their residents on their capital gains (Italy, Spain), some don't tax capital gains but will tax trading profits if you trade like a professional (usually based on the number of trades, amount of money traded, amount of time spent on it, amount of profit, how long you hold a trade... in most cases it's quite vague) (Singapore, HK, Belgium to a degree). 

So you need to look up where you're a tax resident, then you'll know if you owe taxes on your profits or not. I don't think IG will withhold the taxes for you. Note that some brokers do, and that some countries will tax your profits even if you're not a resident (Spain, Italy in some cases).

Note that if you lie about your residency this can get you into trouble, as will hiding it from your tax service. Before this was very common but in recent years most countries have signed up for information exchange systems that means most countries now know how much you made trading. If you're still using your old residency address you might be able to avoid this, but I wouldn't advise it.

In your specific case, it depends on where you owe taxes for the tax year you're talking about. Generally it's the 6 month rule, if you spend the majority of 2020 in your home country then I'm guessing you'll be tax resident there, in which case you wouldn't need to pay in Australia (assuming Australia doesn't tax non-residents).

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Joined 25/09/23 08:48
  • Posts

    • Making money through trading involves analyzing markets & making informed decisions. One buys assets at low prices & sells them high.To break it down, traders study charts, news, and economic indicators to spot potential opportunities. They use technical analysis to identify patterns and trends and fundamental analysis to assess the health of a market. Timing is key – traders aim to enter and exit positions at the right moments to maximize profit.Also, there are some tips on how to make money fast – they're out there, and they work. But remember, trading isn't a guaranteed shortcut to quick cash. It takes discipline, risk management, and continuous learning.
    • After a poor finish to last week, Asian markets mostly traded in negative fashion on Monday, though some bargain-hunting in the Nikkei lifted that index off its lows. With major central bank decisions out of the way for the time being, the focus now shifts to the possibility of a government shutdown in the US. House Republicans are making efforts to consider stopgap funding measures to stave off a shutdown. Today's major events include the German IFO index, plus testimony to eurozone lawmakers by ECB president Christine Lagarde. 
    • USD/CAD Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge Day Chart, 25 September 23 U.S.Dollar /Canadian Dollar(USD/CAD) Day Chart USD/CAD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter Trend Mode: corrective Structure: likely zigzag in wave 2 Position: wave 2 of A Direction Next lower Degrees:corrective wave C of 2 Details:  Blue  Wave “A” of 2 completed. now corrective wave B of 2 in play ,after that wave C of 2 expected . Wave Cancel invalid level: 1.36982 The USD/CAD Elliott Wave Analysis on 25 September 23, focuses on the daily chart of the U.S. Dollar/Canadian Dollar (USD/CAD) currency pair. Utilizing Elliott Wave theory, the analysis aims to provide insights into potential market trends and movements.   The identified Function in this analysis is "Counter Trend," indicating a focus on identifying and interpreting market movements that are contrary to the prevailing trend. In this context, "counter trend" suggests the analysis is aimed at potential reversals or corrections within the market.   The Mode is described as "corrective," implying that the market is presently undergoing a corrective phase. Corrective phases typically follow strong trends and are characterized by price movements aiming to retrace or adjust the preceding trend.   The Market Structure is outlined as a "likely zigzag in wave 2." A zigzag pattern is a specific corrective wave pattern within Elliott Wave theory, typically consisting of three waves labeled A, B, and C. The focus here is on the second wave (wave 2) within this zigzag pattern.   The Position signifies that the analysis is centered on "wave 2 of A." This highlights the importance of wave 2 within the broader wave structure, suggesting it may offer significant trading opportunities.   The Direction Next Lower Degrees points to the analysis being attentive to "corrective wave C of 2." This implies a focus on the development of wave C within the second wave of the Elliott Wave sequence.   In the Details section, it is noted that "Blue Wave 'A' of 2" has been completed. The market is currently in the phase of "corrective wave B of 2," with an expectation of "wave C of 2" to follow. The "Wave Cancel invalid level" is specified as 1.36982, providing a reference point for traders.   In summary, the USD/CAD Elliott Wave Analysis on 25 September 23, suggests that the market is in a corrective phase, focusing on the second wave (wave 2) of a likely zigzag pattern. Traders are advised to monitor the development of wave C of 2 and pay attention to the specified invalid level for potential trading opportunities, emphasizing the importance of risk management in any trading strategy.
  • Create New...