ESG - Shariah Compliant Screener

Investments which are in accordance with the Islamic Principles are called Sharia Compliant.

There are three principal rules which need to be adhered to when analysing an investment from the standpoint of Sharia permissibility are:

1. Absence of interest in the investment.
  2. Potential for “unethical” concerns in the investment mix – this includes exposure to companies involved in gambling, adult entertainment, tobacco and alcohol.
  3. Islamic finance places great emphasis on the validity and transparency of contracts.

Sharia Compliance can be evaluated across one metric: 'Islamic Non-Compliant'. This is calculated as the percentage of a securities or portfolio’s market value exposed to companies that are non-compliant according to Sharia investment principles. Non-compliant companies are those with ownership of a prohibited business activity or total revenues greater than or equal to 5% from prohibited business activities or with financial ratios greater than or equal to 33.33%. Prohibited business activities include adult entertainment, alcohol, cinemas, conventional financial services, gambling, music, pork, tobacco and weapons.

It would be very useful to add this metric to IG's broader ESG screening tool.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• I was scrolling through the forums and stumbled upon your post about liquidity in the crypto world. Let me tell ya, you hit the nail on the head with that one. Liquidity is like the lifeblood of this whole decentralized finance thing, right? Without enough liquidity, transactions can feel like pulling teeth.
    • One of the unique advantages I get from my gaming enthusiasm is to be exposed to cutting edge innovations in the gaming sphere. This time, I came across Altered State Machine (ASM), a project that seems to be shaking up the industry with it's decentralized AI protocol. With ASM, you own a unique AI "brain" represented as an NFT, complete with its own strengths, weaknesses, and potential for growth. Wild🔥...    So in 2023 FIFA cut ties with football gaming giants EA Sports and I am now wondering if it had anything to do with the new partnership with ASM cos I can easily see how that played out. ASM has also partnered with iconic brands like Muhammad Ali and ABG, showcasing the potential of AI in the gaming industry.  But ASM isn't the only player in the AI gaming space. Competitors like Alethea AI and SingularityNET are also exploring the potential of AI in gaming making it an interesting horse race. However, ASM's focus on NFT ownership, interoperability, and big partnerships is giving it a unique edge at the moment.    From what I understood, ASTO is going to be the lifeblood that fuels the ASM ecosystem. It will power various aspects like gameplay, training fees, and even NFT sales. Owning ASTO gives you a stake in this dynamic ecosystem and it will be listing on Bitget with each users able to grab up to 1,250 ASTO. I have to say AI gaming is evolving rapidly, and ASM is a frontrunner. So, keep an eye on this space, guys - the future is intelligent, and it's gonna be exciting!
    • I think we should brace ourselves for the Ethereum ecosystem bull run as the much-hyped Dencun upgrade, initially slated for earlier, is now making its grand entrance in March 2024. Analysts are buzzing with excitement, foreseeing Ethereum (ETH) and its ecosystem projects stepping into the spotlight as the main actors of the next bullish surge. If all goes according to plan, this upgrade could unleash the full potential of the Ethereum ecosystem.   https://consensys.io/ethereum-upgrade   Just a month ago, the Total Value Locked (TVL) in most Ethereum Layer 2 (L2) protocols skyrocketed to all-time highs, with Optimism, Arbitrum, and Metis leading the charge. Following this surge came a wave of gaming projects flocking to the chain, banking on Ethereum to revolutionize gaming experiences and slash those pesky transaction fees.   The ETH price action is sending vibes reminiscent of Bitcoin’s pre-ETF era. As we eagerly await the potential approval of an ETH spot ETF in May, the “Decun” upgrade emerges as another game-changer. Analysts draw parallels between the impact of this upgrade on ETH and the transformative “Fire-Dancer” upgrade on SOL (Solana). In anticipation of these game-changing events, we’re witnessing a flurry of activity, with more L2 and gaming projects sprouting up on the Ethereum chain. OKX is already test-driving a promising L2 chain dubbed X1, while Bitget contemplates building a blockchain to amplify the utility of its Ethereum-based token, BGB. Not to be left behind, Binance has seamlessly integrated Optimism into its smart chain with opBNB.   In just one whirlwind month, a plethora of Ethereum-based projects have burst onto the scene, boasting impressive price actions upon listing—think STRK, MAVIA, NADA, ASTO, and the list goes on.   With ETH soaring above $3k and the charts painting a picture-perfect bull trend (even the likes of OP and ARB notching up multiple all-time highs), it’s time to ask: What are your expectations? Do you believe in the staying power of these new projects, or are they just fleeting sparks in the crypto cosmos? Strap in, folks, because the ride is just getting started!
us