Do I understand margin calls on spread bets?

colfah2

Question

I'm playing around with a demo account before I open a real account.

Below is my understanding of how it works.

Do I understand correctly what is going on?

I intend to buy €4.73 per point of the S&P500 at a price of 4235.

It appears that all buys are leveraged at 5:1 and there is no way of reducing this?

I will pay an overnight charge at the libor rate + 2.5% on €15,000

The margin requirement is 15% because the total value of this trade is above 7500 USD

Once the price falls below 5% (4023) I will start receiving margin calls

If the price falls 15% (to 3599.75) I'm calculating that I would need to deposit an additional €2,000 if I want to keep the trade open.

If it fell further than that, and I chose not to deposit any additional funds, the trade would be closed and I would lose a total of €3000 (initial margin of €1000 and €2000 deposited after margin call)

I cannot lose more than I deposit in my (retail) account because I live in EU and am therefore covered by ESMA.

Apologies if I'm asking some very basic questions. Just want to ensure I understand what I'm doing before I play with real money!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    Hector1984
    Joined 16/06/21 16:22
    • 99.999% of people don't understand how the markets work, let alone the TC's, but they still manage to make money from so don't dismiss your knowledge - the markets are doing things most people haven't a clue about - I'm not prepared to divulge the cause nor the mathematical formula to work out the TC's, if I did you'd be able to see very clearly the repetition - I know exactly where you're coming from, I'm the most sceptical person you will ever meet  about the markets, so I know its hard to understand or believe They repeat because humans buying and selling still make the same decisions now as they did hundreds of years ago - human behaviour is very predictable, even in different economic times There's always a reason attached to plunges so the media and fund management world can say this caused X but they never tell you in advance - I've published elsewhere in advance the dates so to dispel anyone challenging I did it after the event  Forex - EXACTLY - they are highly erratic - they work to different Time cycles than the stock market, which is why they act differently - but the overall laws of the market regarding swings, price action etc still apply and can be exploited to our advantage The 50% is the balance point - the laws of physics apply here - markets respect a lot of the laws of physics and mathematics in certain ways, which is why the TC's work etc It happens on all time-frames - If the market is abiding by the laws of physics for an up trend then if price crashes down through the 50% level of the prev range/swing then it should revert back up through that level purely down to the laws of motion and physics     
    • Nothing new in basic principles since Dow, Wyckoff and Gann a hundred years ago. The key is not to find something new but to not make the 1001 potential mistakes. Maybe correlations rather than patterns. Fundamental analysis for direction and targets but technical analysis for how price goes about getting there.    
    • Forgot to mention your 50% lines THT, i see what you mean shaving off 50% of the market value does seem to be common when there is a big dip.  Again don't see the sense why though but you can say that about a lot of things.