WTI oil futures set for yearly loss of 31%, Brent down 36% in 2015

FoxTrader

Mainly from Investing.com ;

West Texas Intermediate oil futures are on track to post an annual decline of 31% in 2015, while Brent oil prices are down nearly 36% this year, as oversupply concerns dominated market sentiment for most of the year.

Global crude production is outpacing demand following a boom in U.S. shale oil and after a decision by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries last year not to cut production in order to defend market share.

Crude oil for delivery in February on the New York Mercantile Exchange inched up 15 cents, or 0.42%, to trade at $36.75 a barrel during European morning hours on Thursday. Prices fell to $34.29 earlier this month, the lowest since February 2009.

Trading volumes are expected to remain light, reducing liquidity in the market which could result in exaggerated moves.

On Wednesday, U.S. oil futures tanked $1.27, or 3.35%, after the U.S. Energy Information Administration said crude oil inventories increased by 2.6 million barrels last week, disappointing expectations for a drop of 2.5 million barrels.

Total U.S. crude oil inventories stood at 487.4 million barrels as of last week, remaining near levels not seen for this time of year in at least the last 80 years.

Elsewhere, on the ICE Futures Exchange in London, Brent oil for February delivery tacked on 26 cents, or 0.71%, to trade at $36.72 a barrel. London-traded Brent futures slumped $1.33, or 3.52%, on Wednesday. Brent Prices slumped to $35.98 on December 22, a level not seen since July 2004.

Meanwhile, Brent's discount to the West Texas Intermediate crude contract stood at 3 cents, compared to a discount of 14 cents by close of trade on Wednesday.

U.S. crude has been firmer relative to Brent recently, on signs that the U.S. oil market is likely to grow tighter following Congress' decision to lift a 40-year old ban on domestic oil exports, while a global glut gets worse in 2016 due to soaring production in Saudi Arabia and Russia.

Oversupply issue will be exacerbated further once Iran returns to the global oil market early next year after western-imposed sanctions are lifted. Analysts say the country could quickly ramp up production by around 500,000 barrels, adding to the glut of oil that has sent prices tumbling.

Happy days

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    ld59
    Joined 20/01/21 18:25
    • Hi JLZ You need to investigate the company issuing the said ETP's - There's lots of different ones out there, some buy real assets, so use "synthetic" tracking etc  - they are 100% legit but you have to be certain they won't go bust  Key considerations as you are investing real money into the ETP are: Is the ETP safe in terms of going bust Is you ISA/SIPP/DEALING account provider safe I've traded these products for decades - as long as the ETP provider does not go bust then normal investing/trading risks apply - I've just literally this afternoon taken profits on a Nasdaq100 ETF They came on the scene in the late 90's in the UK and you could track markets not offered by funds at that point - I was in a china ETF in 2000 provided by ishares within my sipp/isa account and was a cheap way of tracking the Chinese market as you didn't have the 5% bid/offer spread and 1% AMC You buy them exactly as you would say BP - If BP goes belly up overnight you're cash is trapped, same would apply here, but as I say if the company is liquid and sound then normal risks apply  
    • Is it possible to go long by selling (short) a leveraged (bear) ETP?        
    • Hi, thank you for bringing the topic , I personally didn't know about this type of asset class. I googled a bit and found the basics about ETPs. They seem to be very interesting but also oriented to professionals as some of them might not be regulated by the FCA as per link below: https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/exchange-traded-products Could you recommend any book on the subject that we could read? Also is there any list of pros and cons against the usual share dealing, CFDs and Spread Betting accounts that we could point to?