AUD/USD faces downward pressure: Risk aversion and RBA's rate decisions impact

Explore the factors behind the AUD/USD's third consecutive week of decline, including risk aversion selling, RBA's rate decisions, and the influence of global bond market dynamics.

original-size.webp

Source: Bloomberg

Tony Sycamore | Market Analyst, Australia | Publication date: Monday 07 August 2023 08:19

Last week, the AUD/USD closed lower for a third consecutive week due to risk aversion selling and following the RBA's decision to keep rates on hold at 4.10%.

Impact of global events on AUD/USD

The risk aversion selling was triggered by a significant rise in yields on the typically stable US 30 bond during the week. The US Treasury's unexpected announcement of larger sizes for upcoming auctions caught the market off guard, leading to bond market malaise. This was further exacerbated by spillover effects from the BoJ's meeting, which saw a slight adjustment to YCC, and the Fitch downgrade of the US credit rating.

We firmly believe that it is not just the direction of yields that influences cross-asset volatility, but rather the speed of the movement that causes dislocation.

Hence, market participants will closely monitor this week's quarterly auctions of 10-year notes and 30-year bonds to gauge the level of demand. Any signs of bond market indigestion may quickly impact other risk assets, including the AUD/USD.

Domestic factors influencing AUD/USD

On the domestic front, key events influencing the AUD/USD will be Tuesday's consumer and business confidence surveys. With the RBA's decision to hold rates and lower inflation, we expect consumer sentiment to rebound towards 85 from the previous 81.3. Meanwhile, the NAB Business Confidence index is likely to see a slight decline from 0 to -1.

- KoketsoIG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • image.png

• Through my years in the crypto space, referral events have been one of the best ways to earn cryptocurrency passively. Tell me about inviting friends and family for a few bucks, sounds good to me.  Bitget as a platform seeking to drive mainstream crypto adoption have come forth with referral contests that take different dimensions. Just today while I was scrolling X in my usual manner, I came across an event tagged, ‘’Group Invitation MVP- Referral Event’’.  The most striking thing about this lies in the ease of participation. To participate, you need to join and stay in this TG channel and discord server below. Afterwards, you'd follow the Bot’s instructions and invite friends via the referral link generated by the Bot below. The rewards are really mouth-watering, there's over 100 BGB up for grabs by Top 1,and 80 for Top 2 as well as other rewards for the other participants.  https://discord.gg/bitget https://t.me/BitgetENOfficial https://t.me/Bitget_Online_Bot  
      • Natural Gas Mode - Larger degree bullish correction Structure - Impulse wave wave C (blue) of Flat Position - Wave (3) Direction - Wave (3) is still in play Details:  The surge above the key resistance zone marked has called for a re-analysis. Thus daily and H4 have changed to the alternative scenario in mind.  Recovery from 1.524 emerging into an impose and now into wave (3). Natural Gas has extended its recovery from the February 2024 low, and the commodity is now anticipated to rise further in an impulse Elliott wave pattern. Meanwhile, the bigger picture indicates that prices are in a corrective phase following the bearish cycle that concluded between August 2022 and April 2023.   On the daily chart, a bearish impulse wave can be identified, lasting from August 2022 to April 2023. After such a decline, a corrective recovery is expected in the opposite direction, moving upwards. The emerging pattern in this case is an expanding flat. Expanding flats are 3-3-5 ABC structures where the second 3-wave segment breaks the starting price of the first 3-wave segment. Additionally, the third leg, which is a 5-wave segment, surpasses the endpoint of the first 3-wave segment (or the starting price of the second 3-wave segment).    On the Natural Gas price chart, the emerging flat began at 1.944 (April 2023 low) and completed the first three-wave segment—blue wave A—at 3.66 (October 2023 high). The second three-wave segment, blue wave B, then started and extended below 1.944 in a three-wave structure, reaching 1.524 (February 2024 low). The final leg, blue wave C, is currently ongoing and is expected to extend above 3.66 with an impulsive move. The price is currently in wave (3) of blue wave C.     On the H4 chart, we examine the sub-waves of wave (3). The price is currently in the third sub-wave, which is targeted to reach the 2.998 Fibonacci level or potentially higher before the fourth sub-wave begins to move downwards. In the near term, the potential for further upside in Natural Gas prices remains strong.   Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!
      • Lego is still good (maybe my boys are young for their age too). I’d go with a gift card, to be honest. A gift card at EB games, JB Hifi, or Rebel if the kid likes sports could go down well.  
    us