Margin Call calculation

Guest Beringin

Guest Beringin
Hi,

I am a beginner currency trader, focussing only on USDJPY.
I am trying to calculate total money I need (as potential useable margin and margin), to accommodate market swings.

For example,
Let's say I want to go long on USDJPY (entering at 113.00), with minimum size of 50K, with minimal margin required of 0.5%. That means, I need to put 50USD (For minimum position size of 50K, minimum margin required is 0.5%, that will be 1:1000, that will be 50USD.)
If the market swings against me by 50 pips or 100 pips, going to 112.50 or 112, and I want to hold my open long position, I would like to know the additional useable margin I will need so that I can keep my positions open.

Please let me know if my calculations are correct or if they are wrong, please let me know the right way of calculating the required additional margin, if market moves against me (and I want to open my position).

Scenario 1: 50 pips movements, how much USD is needed for potential margin?
1 pips = 0.01 JPYUSD - 1 JPY = 0.009 USD - 1 pips = 0.09/10 JPY = 0.009 JPY or 0.00008 USD, 
50 pips = 0.004 USD.
With leverage of 1:200, 50 pips = 0.8 USD.
Lot size = 0.05 x 100,000 = 50,000
0.8*50K = 4K
Margin required on 4K = 0.5% = 20USD. <Is this correct?

Scenario 1: 100 pips needs how many dollar of margin?
1 pip = 0.00008 USD
100 pips = 0.00008 USD x 100 = 0.008 USD
With leverage of 1:200, 100 pips = 0.008USD x 200 LEVERAGE = 0.8 USD.
With lot size of 0.05 x 1000,000 = 50,000,100 pips = 0.8USD x 50,000 units = 40K.
Using 0.5% margin, 40K requires, 200USD deposit. <Is this correct?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• Experience the future of staking with Renzo, a revolutionary re-staking protocol based on EigenLayer. Renzo abstracts the complex process of user re-staking, alleviating concerns about operator selection and reward strategy management for stakers. Renzo Protocol is not just limited to Ethereum; it aims to provide users with access to the EigenLayer ecosystem across multiple blockchain networks. From Ethereum to Arbitrum, Linea, Mode, Base, BNB, and OKX L2 chain networks, Renzo offers a unified interface for staking and re-staking, regardless of the underlying blockchain. This interoperability ensures that users can seamlessly navigate the EigenLayer ecosystem and maximize their staking potential. Excitement builds as Renzo Protocol (REZ) joins Bitget Pre Market Trading Platform, offering users the chance to pre-trade REZ before its official listing. Pre-market trading provides an over-the-counter (OTC) marketplace for new coins, allowing users to access early trading opportunities and discover potential investment prospects before the wider market. With Renzo on Bitget Pre Market Trading Platform, users can take advantage of exclusive trading opportunities and be part of the Renzo revolution from the outset.
    • Ready to Fight represents the first real attempt at bringing the global boxing community of over 50 million athletes, promoters, trainers, managers, and diehard fans into the world of decentralized social media and finance (SocialFi). It was founded by none other than heavyweight boxing superstar Oleksandr Usyk and blockchain entrepreneur Sergey Lapin. The native RTF token acts as the lifeblood of this intricately designed web3 social network. Stake RTF to access premium content and services. Use it to directly sponsor fighters you support or pay trainers for their time. Spend RTF on limited-edition boxing gear or merchandise drops. Thanks to the RTF listing on Bitget, crypto enthusiasts and boxing fans alike can now invest in and drive the rapidly expanding ecosystem. The low initial circulating supply and market cap suggests a massive upside for this first-of-its-kind SocialFi platform serving the boxing world.
    • Pepe Coin's surge, driven by significant whale accumulation, has propelled it to the third-largest meme coin position. With strategic buying, the investor has already seen substantial profits, sparking bullish sentiment in the broader meme coin sector.
us