Confused with base currency exhange

Hello long term index trader (on other platforms) new to FX. 

My base currency is SEK but I have so far only played around with EURUSD in a demo account trying to learn the FX profession. 

How is the exchange rate determined from SEK to EUR when I enter a trade? Is it per tick intraday? Does this mean a gamble on EURUSD is as much a gamble on SEKEUR? Is this exhange taken into account in the demo account or will the fee for exchanging SEK to EUR be a nasty surprise once I go live? 

Or am I overthinking this? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The answer to your question is that there will not be a nasty surprise. You will lose only 0.3% on the P/L transfer to SEK at the END of the trade. So that is only a tiny bite out of the exact profit or loss, not on the underlying. You are likely already paying this on your demo account, but it was too small to detect.

The exact details depend upon whether you have a CFD or spread betting account. In your case (I am guessing) of a euro-denominated spread bet on EUR/USD making EUR 100 profit/loss, you will receive EUR 99.70 / pay EUR 100.30 worth of SEK. It doesn't matter that the underlying may be EUR 100,000, that doesn't enter into the calculation.

Your demo account is identical to a live account intra-day. (But it doesn't reflect overnight finance charges, where the 0.3% currency conversion charge to SEK, though still there, will be lost in the rounding error.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    MightT
    Joined 01/07/22 20:24
    • Natural Gas remains 'the monster of the monsters', it requires no leverage and a lot of patience: lately formed a triple bottom, likely to test a previous support at 6400 and higher, it is a challenge for for those preferring CFD trading, especially for professionals trading high leverage! Otherwise can double, triple or more the equity and wipe out the account as well in a short period of time. It has no limits or previous time to count on, on any chart available! During the good days CAN tumble or spike up 7 -8% in a matter of seconds! IG remains the best for challenging the Natural Gas financial instrument!
    • It’s been a rocky start to the year for Bitcoin, but experts still say it will hit $100,000 — and that it’s more a matter of when, not if. Bitcoin on Thursday dipped below $20,000, falling down nearly 5% over the last 24 hours. This is the second time the largest crypto has fallen below $20,000 this month and it still remains under pressure, according to Edward Moya, a senior market analyst at OANDA. “Bitcoin is struggling to hold onto the $20,000 level,” he says. “If Bitcoin breaks below the recent low around $17,500, there isn’t much support until the $14,500 level.” The latest crypto market crash was spurred by momentary de-risking from Wall Street as many investors are feeling pessimistic about the economy amid surging inflation, a shaky stock market, and rising interest rates. The crypto market has increasingly tracked the stock market in recent months, which makes it even more intertwined with global economic factors.