Does anyone know of any reputable stockbroking or wealth management firms etc that offer portfolio advice for an upfront (one-off) fee? 

@amphius,

First of all it depends on which country in the world you are based in?

There are many reputable stockbroking / wealth management firms. A simple search on the internet will highlight some of them. Also if you are wealthy enough to need the services of a wealth management firm then the 'circle' you operate in may be able to advise you? This would be better than asking total strangers on IG Community!

I am based in the UK and can recommend Fidelity Wealth for UK clients but this is more for investments funds / unit trusts, OEICS, investments trusts and ETF's. 

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/services/wealth

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/static/pdf/personal/wealth-prospect-brochure.pdf

As Fidelity are a US firm. They are likely to offer similar if not better wealth management services to its US clients.

• Thought provoking 1

Thanks, @trendfollower. 

I'm actually looking for someone who can offer advice on putting together a portfolio of, say 5 to 10 companies from the FTSE 100, 250 or All-Share indices, having particular regard to advice on the particular risks (such as potential problems with debt) of investing in identified high dividend paying companies. My company is the investor, and it has about £350k in cash to invest.

I would like a long term portfolio, and am therefore looking for a one-off piece of advice work for a fee, rather than ongoing active fund management or commission work.

Have you tried the 'Wealth Management' arm of your bank?

If you have access to 'Private Banking' then they normally offer such a service to its clients.

You may not have enough for Coutts from a company perspective but if you do personally then you may wish to consider them. 

https://www.coutts.com

I mean you could contact UBS, Lloyds Bank Wealth Management and I believe Deutsche Bank have a Wealth Management arm.

There is no right answer anyone can give you as we will all have different opinions, wealth and experiences. You must conduct some research into this and contact several wealth management companies online and see what services they can offer you and for how much (fees). This will help you to possibly make a decision but you must do this as it is your company and £350k at stake. 

I did read an article today saying stockbrokers tend to offer better value than wealth managers, but I am not sure if any offer this kind of service. I made a start today by emailing a few, picked randomly from an LSE list of stockbrokers. I am treading quite cautiously because the service that I am looking for doesn't seem to be something firms advertize on their websites, and I can't really get the feel of how flexible, comprehensive, wanting the business, or expert these firms are, outside their generic services.

I bank personally with RBS, although my branch is their rather idiosyncratic Drummonds branch, which is a quasi private bank, so I could try them.

@amphius,

Well done for making a start and e-mailing a few. 

Whilst you are waiting for an answer conduct research on the internet as this will help you to come up with questions that you may want to ask and points you would like clarification on.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    galina2809
    Joined 23/01/19 05:15
  • Our picks

• The pull-back is here - APAC brief 23 Jan
      The pull-back is here: The pull-back markets were waiting for – the one we inevitably had to have – has arrived. It’s risk-off across financial markets and the optimism that drove global stocks off their December lows has subsided. Relatively speaking, it’s been a day of significant downside, but nothing yet to warrant tremendous fear. It should be common knowledge, but it bears repeating: proper validation that global equities have truly established a recovery ought to be judged not by the latest high, but by where markets form their next low. The retracement which is apparently upon market participants now hands a golden opportunity to judge this market for what it truly is – have the bulls reclaimed their dominance, or have the bears lulled them into a trap, and now stand poised to assert further downside?

The market’s rationale: A greater look at this subject and Wall Street’s price action later. In relation to the overnight sell-off, the rationale was as feeble as the one that got stocks to their recent peaks in the first place. It’s been chalked up to reduced positivity towards the trade-war, and renewed concerns about global growth. To begin with, very little data throughout the past week has provided a clear and substantial picture on economic growth. The boost in sentiment has come from geopolitical or monetary policy developments that was assumed to be supportive of the growth outlook – at some point in the future.  Some nice-noises made between the US and China in trade negotiations here, and a few dovish comments from a handful of US Fed speaker there, is what ignited the latest part of the risk-on rally.
      • 0 replies