Dividends not being paid?

Guest Tony82

Guest Tony82

Hi guy

I'm relatively new here but I have noticed a strange withdrawal from my share dealing account.

It turns out to be a dividend that I got from MTCH back in December ($2 per share special dividend). I reinvested those funds in other stocks I already own, so the cash in my account was sitting at £100 for a month or two. But I have just noticed I'm in negative balance by -£188!  This is now three months after I got the dividend and now they took it off me? Is this normal?  I've been scanning my statements to see if there is an obvious explanation but I can't work it out.?

Edit: I have had a look back to previous months and they've done it again with another dividend I got! CME dividend paid on the 27th of december and taken back on the 11th of January.

Is this normal here at IG?

• 1 month later...
Guest harry0e

I'm having the same problem with the same MATCH dividend. 

I've experienced the same bizarre treatment. IG withdrew money from my ISA on the 23rd, in relation to the $2 special dividend on MATCH, then credited me a greater amount on the 25th. This means I'm missing 89% of my dividend amount. 

IG have advised me as follows, without specifying which aspect could be affecting me in this instance: 

Dividend reclassification refers to changes companies make to all or part of previously reported dividend income to some other tax classification.

•             A dividend is a distribution of a company’s earnings and profits.

•             A distribution by a corporation is taxed as a dividend to the extent of the corporations' earnings and profits, and any distribution in excess of the earnings and profits is generally a non-taxable return of capital.

•             In some cases, a company may have paid out more in distributions than it earned during the year.

•             In this situation, all or part of the distribution may be reclassified from a taxable dividend to a return of capital which is generally non-taxable.

•             A dividend may also be reclassified in other ways (i.e. the reallocation of ordinary dividends to tax-qualified dividends or dividends to capital gain distribution.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    Millers
    Joined 31/01/23 10:12
    • FTSE, DAX and Nasdaq consolidate after latest leg higher The FTSE, DAX and Nasdaq appear to be consolidating after a period of significant upside. Source: Bloomberg      Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 31 January 2023  FTSE manages to remain above key support The FTSE 100 has been showing some signs of potential weakness of late, with price falling back into a new pattern of lower highs and lows. That signalled the potential for a new retracement period to give back some of the gains seen earlier in the month. However, we are yet to see any notable downside take shape, with the key 7690 support level holding out for now. A break back through that level would bring about greater confidence of a wider retracement lower. However, given the fact that we have seen price now pushing up into the recent swing-high of 7786, there is a good chance that we see continued consolidation or even a move higher from here. Source: ProRealTime DAX consolidates as it threatens to roll over The DAX has similarly been showing signs of potentially rolling over, with price following up a recent pullback with a subsequent 76.4% Fibonacci retracement. That threatens to provide a second move lower, with a decline through 14903 bringing about a new lower low and confirmation of the recent lower high. With that in mind, keep an eye out for a break below 14903 to signal the potential start of a wider pullback for the DAX here. Until then, price continues to consolidate as we await a signal to tell us where we go from here. Source: ProRealTime Nasdaq pulls back from key resistance The Nasdaq has been heading sharply lower since rallying into the key swing-high resistance level of 12258. A move up through that level would bring about a fresh bullish signal for the index, completing a double bottom formation on the daily timeframe. However, for now the index is reversing lower in a bid to potentially continue the wider bearish theme. Nonetheless, this pullback does currently look to simply maintain the pattern of higher lows seen on the four-hour chart, with the 11714 and 11816 Fibonacci support levels coming into view here. They highlight the potential for another turn upwards before long, with a break back below the 11548 required to bring about a confirmation signal that the index has topped out after reversing from key resistance at 12258. Source: ProRealTime
    • Brent crude oil, gold and aluminium prices drop ahead of central bank meetings Outlook on Brent crude oil, gold and aluminium in view of this week’s Fed, ECB and BoE meetings. Source: Bloomberg      Axel Rudolph FSTA | Senior Financial Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 31 January 2023 Brent crude oil slips to 55-day SMA Brent crude oil last week again failed at its key $87.99 to $89.35 resistance zone, made up of the mid-October low and December high, as traders await rate decisions by the likes of the US Federal Reserve (Fed), the European Central Bank (ECB), the Bank of England (BoE) and their impact on the demand for oil. With the January support line having been slipped through this week, the 55-day simple moving average (SMA) at $83.99 and at the 19 January low at $83.98 are being revisited. Failure at these levels on a daily chart closing basis, would indicate that at least a short-term top is being formed with the 21 November low at $82.32 and the November trough at $80.81 being in focus. While the $83.98 level underpins on a daily chart closing basis, however, another attempt to break through the mid-October low to January highs at $87.99 to $89.35 may unfold. Having said that, only a rise and daily chart close above the $89.35 early December high would indicate that a technical bottom has been formed with the October and November highs as well as the 200-day SMA at $96.91 to $99.60 then representing upside targets. Source: ProRealTime Gold retraces lower from its nine-month high at $1,949 Last week’s rise in the price of gold to a new nine-month high at $1,942 per troy ounce has been followed by a steady retracement lower towards the November-to-January uptrend line at $1,908 as traders await a plethora of interest rate decisions by the likes of the Fed, ECB and BoE. Support below the uptrend line can be spotted at the $1,897 mid-January trough. Were it to be slipped through, a deeper correction lower may be witnessed with the June 2022 high at $1,877 being eyed. Immediate resistance is to be found at the $1,929 mid-January high and also at Monday’s $1,934 high. Only a currently unexpected advance above the recent high at $1,949 would put the $1,959 January 2021 peak and then the April 2022 peak at $1,998 as well as the psychological $2,000 mark back on the map. These levels remain in focus as long as the 18 January low at $1,897 and the March 2022 lows at $1,896 to $1,891 aren’t being slipped through. Source: ProRealTime Aluminium has been rejected by its seven-month high Aluminium’s near 20% January rally on expectations that China’s swift reopening will lead to higher demand for the metal has taken it to a seven-month high at $2,678 per metric ton. This level could not, however, be overcome last week with the metal falling back to its $2,555 mid-January low this week, a slip through which would confirm a minor top being formed. A drop through the $2,555 low would engage 200-day SMA at $2,493. Minor resistance can now be spotted at the $2,576 December high and also at last Friday’s $2,607 low. Source: ProRealTime
    • Early Morning Call: IMF raises 2023 global growth forecast, but cuts UK outlook Overnight, the IMF raised its 2023 global growth outlook to 2.9%, from a previous estimate of 2.7% in October.  Jeremy Naylor | Writer, London | Publication date: Tuesday 31 January 2023  Macro overview Equity markets open lower in Europe, following the path of US and APAC indices. Overnight, the IMF raised its 2023 global growth outlook to 2.9%, from a previous estimate of 2.7% in October. It remains below the 3.4% global growth recorded in 2022. The IMF revised its expectations after observing "surprisingly resilient" demand in the United States and Europe, an easing of energy costs and the reopening of China's economy. For 2024, the IMF said global growth would accelerate slightly to 3.1%, a touch lower than the 3.2% October forecast. In detail, the IMF now expects US GDP growth of 1.4%, up from 1.0% predicted in October and following 2.0% growth in 2022. Also upwardly revised, eurozone GDP growth is now forecast at 0.7% for 2023, versus a previous estimate of 0.5%, and following 3.5% growth in 2022. The UK is the only major advanced economy the IMF predicts to be in recession this year, with a 0.6% fall in GDP. As for China, the IMF revised its growth outlook higher for 2023, to 5.2% from 4.4% in the October forecast. Economic activity in China bounced back in January according to the NBS survey. The official manufacturing PMI rose to 50.1, from 47.0 in December. The 50-point mark separates contraction from growth. Economists anticipated a rise, but only to 49.7. Non-manufacturing increased to 54.4, a substantial jump from 41.6 recorded in December. This marks an end to contraction that started in September 2022. After 11 straight months of gains, Australia retail sales dropped by 3.9% in December month-on-month (MoM), the index's largest drop in more than two years. Economists had forecast a drop of 0.3%. November's result, driven by Black Friday sales, was revised up to a 1.7% increase, from an initially reported gain of 1.4%. Retail sales in Japan rose 3.8% in December 2022 from a year earlier, exceeding forecasts for a 3% growth and following a 2.5% gain in November. This was also the tenth straight month of growth in retail trade. Industrial production in Japan edged down 0.1 percent month-over-month in December 2022, compared with market forecasts of a 1.2 percent fall and after a 0.2 percent rise a month earlier, and consumer confidence rose to 31 in January, from 30.3 the previous month, beating expectations of 30.5. In Germany, retail sales fell by 5.3% in December MoM, versus a consensus of a 0.2% rise. Later this morning at 08.55, Germany's unemployment rate is expected to remain at 5.5%. And at 1pm, we await consumer price index for the month of January. Forecasts are for a 9.2% rise year-on-year (YoY). France’s economy grew 0.1% in Q4 quarter-on-quarter (QoQ) versus expectations of 0%. At 10am, the eurozone Q4 GDP growth rate is forecast to contract by 0.1% QoQ. Over in the US, S&P/Case Shiller home price is expected to increase by 6.8% in November YoY. Chicago PMI is forecast to rise to 45.1 in January, from 44.9 the previous month. And CB consumer confidence is expected to rise to 109 in January from 108.4 in December. Forex The US dollar is set for a fourth straight monthly loss in January and it's down to central banks expectations. EUR/USD is up 1.3% this month, and near a nine-month peak. The market expects rates hikes to slow in the US, while there is a longer way to go the the eurozone. The Japanese yen is poised for a third monthly gain against the greenback as markets anticipate shifts in monetary policy. Earnings Elsewhere on the equity market, Pets at Home raised its full-year (FY) pretax profit guidance after record Q3 consumer revenues. The group says that robust trading momentum has continued into Q4, and with eight weeks of the year left to trade, it expects FY23 profit before tax towards the upper end of the current consensus range of £126-136 million, ahead of previous guidance of £131m. UBS reported a 23% increase in fourth quarter profit, beating analyst estimates. The Swiss bank reported net profit attributable to shareholders of $1.7 billion, versus the $1.3bn expected by analysts surveyed by UBS. Full-year net profit reached $7.6bn, compared with the consensus estimate of $7.3bn. US earnings season continues with reports from Pfizer, Exxon Mobil, General Motors, Caterpillar, Advanced Micro Devices, McDonald’s, Snap, and UPS among others.   This is here for you to catch up but if you have any ideas on markets or events you want us to relay to the TV team we’re more than happy to.