Anybody using Market on Close orders to avoid bid ask spread?

I am wondering whether I can avoid both a: the spread on Market Orders, and b: the risks of Limit Orders, by using "Market on Close" DMA orders.

In particular, am I right to think that ...

A. Buying (with the intention of selling) using a Market Order, incurs an immediate loss of book value equal to the spread.        ... Alternatively ...

B. Buying on Limit Order, subjects me to the risk that if, while the order is on the order book ...

1. there is bad news, then my order is likely to be taken off the order book at my limit price, leaving me with a loss; or
  2. there is good news, then the market is likely to go up and my order is likely to remain unfilled, loosing me the potential profit.

As I understand them, both "Market on Close" buy and sell orders go through at the same closing price. Thus there is no spread, and any risks should be balanced.

However, something in the above can't be right. I understand that IG's DMA needs a bit of setting up. Even then a few LSE shares still do not have closing or other auctions. Also, sSome people want to trade urgently, rather than at the market open, mid, or closing times. However, I don't understand why everybody else is doing this, and therefore thought I should check here before trying it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Zigzag Position: Wave C Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave (I) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 8.498 Details: the corrective of Wave (II) is equal to 61.8% of Wave (I) at 8.702 Log scale chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 5 Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave ((C)) of Zigzag Wave Cancel invalid Level: 81.238 Details: The Five-Wave Decline of Wave ((C)) trend to test 11.582 Level ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!      
    • Okay, I'll grab the ultimate sloth at a lower price😑😑
us