Share trading, DMA on IG and limitations

Ricky66

I have been trading successfully on equities for a long period of time on many platforms and would like to make the following observations:

IG offering DMA is a great tool to use ( if you know how to use it) and gives IG an advantage over other brokerage sites. Therefore it is hard to understand why this is not fully exploited by providing good quality tutorial videos on understanding what is going on. I am in no doubt many more would use it if a fools guide was given on understanding it. Furthermore it would help if the buys and sells were colour coded for easy reference.

Another little understood area is market maker only stocks. These tend to be aim companies and small caps which traders (including myself)  have made significant gains on. SEAQ, and SETSqx stocks are quite different to other stocks and it is annoying that only limit DAY orders can be applied as opposed to good till cancelled. Also no Stop Market orders can be applied on these stocks. Although I can understand in principle that as there is no traditional order book on these it might seem impossible, I know from experience that other providers such as Iweb offer it. Does it matter? Well unless you are in front of your computer throughout the trading day then yes it does . Why? It is the only way to safeguard a drop in price catching you by surprise. Risk management is and should be the number one criteria if you want to make money. As warren Buffet said the best way to make money is not to lose money.

People will ask how do auctions work? can you take advantage? Can you trade and participate. It is pointless offering DMA unless there are clear and comprehensive guides on how to use them. 

IG may say we are a brokerage firm supplying a product and it is not up to us to explain it all. Maybe but would you buy a TV without instructions?

Another gripe is the times that I have phoned the call centre for clarification and found the individual cannot answer my question is more times than I would like. Anything slightly technical and normally its a problem.

Do not get me wrong IG offer a great package with good all round offerings but It would be nice if they sometimes thought more about the customer needs like myself and were able to offer the customer an opportunity to speak to someone who could offer and understand technical clarifications regarding the platform and also offer a bit more on the areas above

• Like 1
  • Great! 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart)   Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with AMCOR PLC – AMC. We see that AMC is about to continue pushing higher with the 3-grey wave of (3)-orange.   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis Function: Major trend (Intermediate degree, orange) Mode: Motive   Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((iii))-navy of Wave 3-grey of Wave (3)-orange Details: The short-term outlook shows that wave ((ii))-navy looks like it has just ended and wave ((iii))-navy is opening to push higher. Invalidation point: 14.79   ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4- Hour Chart) ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC 4-Hour Chart Analysis Function: Major trend (Minuette degree, orange) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave (i)-orange of Wave ((iii))-navy of Wave 3-grey Details: The shorter-term outlook shows that wave (i)-orange is unfolding and will soon complete, followed by wave (ii)-orange opening to push slightly lower, and then wave (iii) -orange back to push higher, aiming for a target at around 16.13. Invalidation point: 14.79   Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: AMCOR PLC – AMC aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends.   Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation). Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD) XRPUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Triangle Position: Wave E Direction Next higher Degrees: wave 4 of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.486 Details: Movement within the triangle pattern before the price Declines again in Wave 5. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Trading Strategy: Decreasing wave ((E)), which is the last wave in the Triangle pattern before prices re-enter the uptrend. So wait for the correction to complete to join the trend again. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.   Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart, Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD) XRPUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Triangle Position: Wave E Direction Next higher Degrees: wave 4 of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.486 Details: Movement within the triangle pattern before the price Declines again in Wave 5. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Trading Strategy: Decreasing wave ((E)), which is the last wave in the Triangle pattern before prices re-enter the uptrend. So wait for the correction to complete to join the trend again. Ripple/ U.S. dollar(XRPUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.   Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • @KoketsoIG Thanks. How soon can we expect an update on the release date? It's been a couple of years with the same update: "we are currently waiting for the product team." We just want to make sure to have a rough estimate.
us