Margin closing out positions

Hi All,

I Apologies if this has been asked before but does IG close out all your positions when collectively all your losses for all your positions breach 50% of your margin? As an example lets say I have twopositions open with initial capital of $4,000 (Margin close at $2000):

Position 1 - Margin of $2000 with a loss of $1,500

Position 2 - Margin of $2000 with a loss of $501

My question comes in two parts:

1) Will both positions be closed out because my loss and automatic close out has breached at $2000 or;

2) Will it close out the largest loss amount which is position 1 and leave position 2 open?

If option 1 is the answer is there a way to change the settings to option 2?

Thank you

I hope this is clear and i

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Hi I have Rolls Royce shares in my IG account and realising they do not pay a dividend I saw they issue 'C' Class Shares which need to be redeemed: Payments to shareholders | Rolls-Royce Has anyone any experience of redeeming these or getting information/option requests from IG??? I have been trying for weeks to get information from the Corporate Actions Team, and am still waiting?? 
    • Wheat Elliott Wave Analysis  Function - Trend Mode - Trend Structure - Impulse for wave (A) Position - Wave 5 of  (A) Direction - Wave (B) Details -  Wave 5 of (A) could be completed with an ending diagonal. Pullback for (B) should begin afterwards. Since March 2024, wheat prices have been recovering and extending higher. However, a slowdown and a potential downward correction may occur in the coming days. Despite this, the overall recovery trend is expected to continue afterward. The initial recovery from the low of 523 in March is projected to advance towards the 840-940 range in the medium term. Nevertheless, the long-term bearish trend could resume in the last quarter of the year.   Examining the daily chart, we observe a bearish impulse wave that began at 1364 in March 2022, culminating in an impulse wave that reached 523 in March 2024, thus concluding a two-year sell-off. The subsequent recovery from 523 is nearing the completion of an impulse wave. This suggests that we should anticipate at least an (A)-(B)-(C) bullish correction continuing towards higher price levels, likely in the 842-942 range, which corresponds to the 38.2-50% Fibonacci retracement zone. It is also possible for prices to move even higher. This bullish corrective cycle is projected to extend until the last quarter of the year. For now, the focus should be on the completion of wave (A) and the potential for a retracement in wave (B).     The H4 chart reveals that wave (A) is nearing its completion, forming an ending diagonal for wave 5. A bearish retracement for wave (B) is anticipated to start soon. The prudent strategy at this juncture is to wait for wave (B) to complete before considering long positions in wave (C), provided wave (B) does not breach the 523 low.   In summary, while wheat prices have been on an upward trajectory since March 2024, we may soon experience a short-term correction. However, the broader recovery trend is expected to persist, with prices potentially reaching the 840-940 range. Traders should monitor the progression of wave (A) and prepare for the likely retracement in wave (B). By closely observing the key level of 523, traders can ensure that the bearish wave (B) does not invalidate the recovery trend. If wave (B) remains above this level, the subsequent wave (C) could present a favorable opportunity for long positions, aligning with the projected medium-term bullish correction before the resumption of the long-term bearish trend later in the year. Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • BlockChainPeople is diving deep into the minds of blockchain users, trying to understand what makes them tick. Interesting stuff. Messari, these crypto detectives uncover hidden data and trends in the crypto market.  Coin Center, policy peeps focused on shaping the future of blockchain regulations.  The Graph, Imagine Google Search, but for everything blockchain – that's The Graph! So, is BlockChainPeople the only way to learn about blockchain? Nope! There's a treasure trove of resources out there waiting to be explored. And it also just got listed on Bitget, spectacular right? What are your thoughts? Are you curious about the psychology of blockchain users, or are you more interested in general blockchain education? Let's hear your thoughts in the comments.
us