Trading on the recovery in Oil prices.

Wellieboy59

Question

Hi everyone,

I personally think the price of oil will recover sharply over the next year and want to trade on this.

I cannot seem to work out on IG whether I should be using shares dealing (an Oil ETF) or CFD, or spread betting. It looks as though share dealing and spread betting are free of CGT, but the disadvantage of spread betting is there are only daily or quarterly expiries whereas I want to invest for longer. Is there anything else I have missed.

All advice welcome please and which oil product o trade would be helpful...also any leveraged products ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jezza.

1 answer to this question

Jezza,

The only real difference here is CGT.

If the benefit of writing CGT loss is of no benefit to you then spread betting would be possibly be the way forward certainly if you want a leveraged product. (but be careful of the contract size not to expose your position)

Im looking at a long shot too and expect it to rise over the next 4-6 months to at least $45 (WTI) and on to $55 

I am buying forward contracts (MAY) as (JUN) are a little pricey.

The plus here is that with forward contracts you do not get charged overnight funding charges which can quickly mount up, the downside is that they cost you a bit more initially on the initial spread cost when you open the contract. I haven't done the maths however I am told by IG  that the breakeven is approx 11 days. Therefore if you intend to hold for longer than 11 days then a forward may be for you.

Again be careful as the price could well drop sharply if the Saudis & Russians cant make a deal this week. The rut could last quite a bit longer, but interestingly everyone is losing right now USA-Saudi-Russia.

They must do a deal or bleed all their state savings away.

Good Luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    Protato
    Joined 04/10/22 18:59
    • DAX Performance Index ^GDAXI INDEXDB: DAX 40 Chart and Forecasts. FTSE 100 Index, EURO STOXX 50, Forex EURUSD GBPUSD DXY Dollar Index Elliott Wave Technical Analysis European Stock Market Daily News Headlines:BOE The Monetary Policy summary and minutes are published at 12 noon on a Thursday eight times a year. Market Indices Overview: Today I look at different ways to view the current move upwards Elliott Wave Trading Strategy: No Strategy; unless shorting the top of this current impulse waves late in the next trading session Video Chapters 00:00 DAX 40 (GDAXI)  17:23 EURO STOXX 50 18:33 UKX / FTSE 100  20:35 Forex GBPUSD / EURUSD / DXY  40:52 Thanks for watching! Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817 Source: tradinglounge com  
    • Stocks: AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, TSLA, GOOGL, BRK.B, SQ, META, NFLX, ENPH, MSFT, BAC, JPM. Elliott Wave  SP500 US Stock Bear Market: AMZN, AAPL, NVDA, TSLA, GOOGL, BRK.B, SQ, META, NFLX, ENPH, MSFT, BAC, JPM, GS. Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Stock Market News: Stocks rise, however the move up continue to move up on lower volume, divergence and corrective bear market rally, that should complete in the next trading session Stock Market Summary Elliott Wave Count: Elliott Wave Analysis - (iv) of c) of 4 of (1) Analysis US Stocks: Tesla TSLA, Amazon AMZN, Nvidia (NVDA), Apple AAPL, Microsoft MSFT, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK/B),Block, Inc (SQ), Meta Platforms, Netflix (NFLX), Enphase (ENPH), Alphabet GOOGL. XFL Finance Sector ETF, JPMorgan JPM & Bank of America BAC, Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) Stock Market Trading strategies: Looking to short the top and turn in the trading session Video Chapters 00:00 SP500 06:58 Apple (AAPL) 12:22 NVIDIA (NVDA) 14:40 Amazon (AMZN) 18:35 Meta Platforms (META) 20:17 Netflix (NFLX)  21:41 Enphase (ENPH) 24:14 Tesla (TSLA) 27:59 Alphabet (GOOGL)  30:35 Microsoft (MSFT) 31:31 Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) 32:33 Block Inc. (SQ)  33:38 Banks JPM, GS 36:14 End. Thanks for supporting! US Stocks: Basic Elliott Wave Counts Apple AAPL  Elliott Wave 4  Corrective rally Amazon AMZN  Elliott Wave 4 Nvidia (NVDA) Elliott Wave  ii) Berkshire Hathaway BRK/B Elliott Wave 4 Alphabet GOOGL  Elliott Wave 4 Meta Platforms FB Elliott Wave iv) Netflix (NFLX)  Microsoft MSFT  Elliott Wave 4 Tesla TSLA  Elliott Wave iii) Square SQ /Block Inc. Elliott Wave 4 JPMorgan Chase (JPM) Elliott Wave 4 Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817 Source: tradinglounge com  
    • US DOLLAR TALKING POINTS: The US Dollar has dropped by as much as 3.3% from the high that was set last Wednesday and many are asking if the USD has topped. Given how aggressively overbought the greenback had become, this retracement looks to be a correction in the trend with no evidence yet of anything larger. However – price is approaching some major supports and performance around those levels will be key for determining near-term strategy. Of particular importance is the fact that the US Dollar is a composite of global currencies so the bigger question is when sell-offs in EUR/USD or GBP/USD might return and, in a related item, how will USD/JPY hold up with the pair pegged to the 145 level thought to be the line-in-the-sand for Japan’s Ministry of Finance? Oct 4, 2022 | Full article on DailyFX James Stanley, Senior Strategist