Splitting/combining positions

adatherton

A useful feature would be to be able to split a position. You can already split a close at market, by simply selling/buying a smaller number of units. However, you can't plan to set stops and limits this way.

For example I am £10/pt long on Germany 30 on a single contract. I want to take off half if it reaches a certain point, but it's not there yet, and I am leaving my screen. I suppose I could set a limit or stop order in the other direction (not forced open), but I might have other positions in Germany 30, and I can't control which one it would close.

It would be much easier if I could just split it into 2 x £5/pt positions, and then apply whatever stops and limits I wanted to each position independently. You could probably leave the position entry date unchanged.

Must be fairly easy to do. You only need to offer a split into two (enter size for one).

A corollary is to combine positions. The reason for this is neatness. If you scale in a load of £1/pt positions, and stay in because they are going well, it would be much neater on screen if you could combine them into one position. You could always split them again later (see above).

The liquidity might be a factor - in a "normal" market ie. zero sum - you'd be aware that your idea isn't as simple as it seems. 

Would you average the entry price for your second example where you scale in on a load of 1pound/contract positions?  Otherwise they'd have to be at the same price. 

I like the idea though - I have often thought I want to bail, yet have to close out say three lots of the same position and end up getting different prices (normally worse than I hoped as the market has moved contrary to expectations) - if I could close all my xxxx positions simultaneously it would have been useful. 

Hmm... (your idea) might be an interesting idea...

Hi David,

Thanks for the useful suggestions, we are in the process of reviewing our platform features and these will be passed onto the development team.

In the meantime if you give our dealing line a call we should be able to consolidate and split positions for you over the phone. You can also use the ‘Aggregate’ box on the open positions window which will combine positions visually on screen.

Thanks,

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I would also like to split open positions, not necessarily a single contract, but where you have say 4 contracts, and would like to let 2 run, with a different stop, or limit in operation, to the original trade. I know you can ring the trading desk and they can do this but I gather, not something they would want to do on a regular basis.

regards nem.

Guest JohannesE

Hi , welcome to our Community!

We are happy to split positions for you at any time if you give our dealing desk a call. We have many clients for which we split positions on a regular basis, so please feel free to call at your convenience. Our dealing and customer service desk can be reached 24 hours from Monday to Friday.

As my colleague Tom also pointed out earlier in this post, the suggestion has been passed onto our development team and we are hopefully able to implement this feature for you in the future.

Thanks,

Johannes

Archived