Replicating ATR calculation in IG charts

garlic18

Question

Hello

Hopefully this is an easy question that someone knows the answer to.

I am trying to replicate the ATR calculation in the IG app but I am struggling a bit. Based on OHLC data, I can replicate the TR for a given set of dates i.e. ATR(1), however I cannot replicate ATR(2) and wondered if anyone knew how this was calculated by IG. I am looking at ATR(2) as ultimately I will be coding up ATR(14) but I want to make sure I understand this first!

As an example, based on AUD/USD for 21/09/20 (simply as that's the data I am working on), I see the following:

image.png.b951fd70f9074db184b0e504a4706dea.png

In this screen dump:

- forex data in the first 5 columns

- TR = True Range and equals =MAX(ABS(current high - previous close), ABS(current low - previous close), current high - current low)

- IG-TR = data taken from IG calculated values from mobile app for ATR(1), differences I presume are due to rounding in OHLC data. Therefore I know that my calculation of TR agrees to IG.

- ATR_2 = AVERAGE (current TR, previous TR) - I believe this is the technically correct interpretation of ATR for period 2, please correct me if I am wrong. It is quite different to IG's numbers (IG_ATR_2)

- ATR_2 _alternative = AVERAGE(current TR, AVERAGE(previous TR, previous -1 TR)) - this gets much closer to "IG_ATR_2", however I am not convinced that this is correct - do you agree?

- IG_ATR_2 = data taken from IG calculated values from mobile app for ATR(2). I can see that the dps are at least 5 significant figures, which surprises me on a period of 2! Are these rolled forward time period to time period?

Hopefully someone can help and apologies if this doesn't make any sense.

Best wishes

Richard

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD) ADAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Flat Position: Wave C Direction Next higher Degrees: wave (II) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level:  Details: Wave II Is equal to 61.8% of Wave I at 0.358 Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction in the Expanded Flat pattern, where we are in the middle of a decline in Wave C, will have five extended internal sub-waves. But we still have one more decline left for Wave C to complete. So wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a Dow trend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.       Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart, Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD) ADAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 4 Direction Next higher Degrees: wave C of Flat Wave Cancel invalid level:  Details: A short-term pullback in wave 4 before falling again in wave 5. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction in the Expanded Flat pattern, where we are in the middle of a decline in Wave C, will have five extended internal sub-waves. But we still have one more decline left for Wave C to complete. So wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a Dow trend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!    
us