GBP USD minimum stop level of 139.053 points

truckman

Good evening everyone,

My first post from a demo account while I am waiting for the real account to be opened, I have focused on cable as I like both currencies and the market is mostly very active.

Does anyone know why the market should suddenly require a limit stop of139.053 points away from the current market price?

It seems a little excessive to me.

Your valuable knowledge and experience maybe able to explain this to a newbie?

332749858_139.005slimitrequirement.thumb.png.6a6ce614a4b4407fff03e3d72e23d776.png

On 04/05/2021 at 07:51, Guest Harith said:

You have selected guaranteed stop.

Yes I am aware that I have selected the guaranteed stop level as I have been for a while in preparation for when the live account is approved, the live account will have to use a guaranteed stop on each trade, which I think is a good idea as it reduces exposure to risk and the margin required as it is a controlled risk as apposed to an uncapped or un controlled risk.

Normally the stop limit on this trade is a minimum of 8 points, in this screen shot it it is set at 30 points which has increased the required margin to $1775, when it is at 8 or 10 the margin would be around $1300.

If I set the stop to 139 points the margin will increase to $17,000 or more, obviously blocking the trade with a $10,000 account fund.

Thank you for your suggestion,  however it isn't because I have selected a guaranteed stop as I normally do.

having given this some thought, I guess if there is excessive price volatility / uncertainty, as there is when the price is at 1.39000 the system sets the GSL very high for protection, the price could easily run away, that being said if it was hit at 139 it would lead to a massive loss, maybe $7000.

• 2 weeks later...

A higher than normal spread generally indicates one of two things, high volatility in the market or low liquidity due to out-of-hours trading. Before news events, or during big shock (Brexit, US Elections), spreads can widen greatly. A low spread means there is a small difference between the bid and the ask price.

From google

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2021 at 16:45, dreamingmonkey said:

A higher than normal spread generally indicates one of two things, high volatility in the market or low liquidity due to out-of-hours trading. Before news events, or during big shock (Brexit, US Elections), spreads can widen greatly. A low spread means there is a small difference between the bid and the ask price.

From google

This is not the spread or difference between the buy and sell prices, this is the minimum stop limit applied by IG which will price you out of some of the deals when the minimum is too high, IE.139 points in this case or higher.

The minimum stop limit of say 8 points is also set up to take you out, the market can easily swing 8 points in either direction and take your deal out with a stop loss being reached.

The higher the stop loss, the less risk of it being triggered, even if the market goes against you, just ride it out and wait for the market to change direction in your favour?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    BethStan
    Joined 25/01/22 07:45
    • The current slide in the stock market may be spooking some investors, but it’s seen as unlikely to scare Federal Reserve officials enough to deviate from their current policy track. In fact, Wall Street is looking at a Fed that might even talk tougher this week as it is seemingly locked in a fight against generational highs in inflation amid market turmoil. Goldman Sachs and Bank of America both have said in recent days that they see increasing chances of an even more hawkish central bank, meaning a better chance of even more interest rate hikes and other measures that would reverse the easiest monetary policy in U.S. history. That sentiment is spreading, and is causing investors to reprice a stock market that had been hitting new historic highs on a consistent basis but has taken a steep turn in the other direction in 2022. “The S&P is down 10%. That’s not enough for the Fed to go with a weak backbone. They have to show some credibility on inflation here,” said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at the Bleakley Advisory Group. “By kowtowing to the market so quickly without doing anything with respect to inflation would be a bad look for them.” The Fed will have to be easier on the hawkish talk, says Ed Yardeni Over the past two months the Fed has taken a sharp pivot on inflation, which is running at a nearly 40-year high. Central bank officials spent most of 2021 calling the rapid price increases “transitory” and pledging to keep short-term borrowing rates anchored near zero until they saw full employment. But with inflation more durable and intense than Fed forecasts, policymakers have indicated they will start hiking interest rates in March and tightening policy elsewhere. Where the market had been able to count on the Fed to step in with policy easing during previous corrections, a Fed committed to fighting inflation is considered unlikely to step in and stem the bleeding. “That gets into the circular nature of monetary policy. It gooses asset prices when they are pedal to the metal, and asset prices fall when they back off,” Boockvar said. “The difference this time is they have rates at zero and inflation is at 7%. So they have no choice but to react. Right now, they are not going to roll over for markets just yet.” The Federal Open Market Committee, which sets interest rates, meets Tuesday and Wednesday. Full article CNBC
    • S&P 500 Record Breaking Reversal – True Reversal or Sheer Volatility? Jan 25, 2022 |  John Kicklighter, Chief Strategist. Full article on DailyFX Chart of S&P 500 200-Day SMA, Volume and ‘Tails’ (Daily) Chart Created on Tradingview Platform       Chart of S&P 500 with Net Speculative Positioning of IG Retail CFD Traders (Daily) Chart Created on DailyFX
    • Usually, when the markets are heading into major event risk, conditions settle in respect of the deep potential that lies ahead. That doesn’t seem to be the case for markets to start this week ahead of the FOMC decision. What should we watch and expect?