****Please help understand calculation of daily % change & if possible data error?

Hey guys,

Please help me understand the way which the change and % change are calculated? I understand the candle sticks are based on the time period i.e. daily however the changes do not seem to make sense to me at the moment. I have attempted to derive the use % change from close to close between days, however the numbers do not match up. 

I.e. Codan trading on the ASX at close today (24/1/22) had a change of -$0.005 or -0.06%, however the candle stick shows open $8.24 and close $8.39 detailing a change 1.82% during the day, now the trading day prior (21/1/22) close was $8.38 detailing a total change of 0.12% with todays close... this is where I get lost as none of the fluctuations make sense unless I am missing a trick here...

***In addition while organising this post I noticed that the Codan data changed? The open price was wildly different between my 2x screen shots

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated 

Regards 

1667839089_ScreenShot2022-01-24at4_42_54pm.thumb.png.0dae0c369236ee2c70c06077818c71f6.png

34107037_ScreenShot2022-01-24at5_00_06pm.thumb.png.52d0254e6c77d8729d2d1d6395fe5ba9.png

I had an alert notification set up for movement above 3% on Wisdom Tree Leveraged WTI Crude Oil, it triggered this morning (08:00:12 - 21 Jan 2022) stating it had moved 3.28% in a day, yet it appears to have only moved 0.64% from 1310 to 1318 on the charts???

I am therefore also very interested to know where these percentage numbers come from if anyone knows....

image.thumb.png.6d09e670056bdffba8916426da20479b.png

Hi @Nostradamex

Thanks for the query. 

Change will be calculated from the closing mid price today minus closing mid price on previous day. Using Codan as an example:

Closing Mid price Friday: 8.385

Closing Mid price Today: 8.380

Difference between the two -0.005

To calculate the percentage change: -0.005/8.385= -0.06%

In addition your two screenshots are on different timeframes. i.e. monthly and daily. Thus they are showing opening last traded price for the month and opening last traded price for the day. 

All the best, 

Anda

image.png

image.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Over the past six months, the TON blockchain has experienced extraordinary growth, driven by a surge in projects launched on the platform, many tied to Telegram. NOTCOIN stands out as a major success, gaining significant traction from its inception. Additionally, projects like BLUM and HAMSTER KOMBAT have gained widespread recognition and adoption, enriching the ecosystem further. With over 900 million users on Telegram and nearly 45% engaging in various Telegram-based gaming projects to earn cryptocurrency, the future of the TON blockchain looks incredibly promising. In June alone, the number of daily active addresses on the TON blockchain surpassed those on Ethereum, and the TON token's value has quintupled over the past two months, with Total Value Locked (TVL) now exceeding $600 million. Since the start of 2024, TON has surged over 400%, making it one of the top-performing tokens. Remarkably, it has maintained its bullish trend despite a broader decline in BTC and other major altcoins, solidifying its position as a highly sought-after blockchain. Recognizing the potential of the TON ecosystem, Bitget, in alliance with Foresight Ventures, has invested $20 million to support new and emerging projects within the TON ecosystem. https://cointelegraph.com/news/telegram-ton-bitget-20-million-fund. This significant financial backing from top industry players is expected to foster the development of high-quality projects. Drawing parallels to the massive adoption Ethereum experienced in 2020/2021, which led to a significant surge in ETH's value, we might witness a similar scenario with TON in the upcoming cycle. However, I advise conducting your own research (DYOR) as this is not financial advice.
    • Hi all, this may be a silly question but how do I view and buy shares in the Nationwide Building Society (LSE:NBS)? When I search for the ticker it does not appear. When I search for Nationwide it comes up with a "Nationwide Nasdaq - 100 Risk - Managed Income ETF" product. Thanks in advance.
    • The Bitget Token (BGB) has been on a tear, surging over 184% in the past year which is 1,562% since its launch in 2021. This strong performance has some analysts predicting it could reach $5 by the end of 2024. Going through the article from Bitcoinist, there were some pointers that were worth mentioning. To begin with, BGB is the utility token of the Bitget cryptocurrency exchange. It offers users benefits like discounted trading fees and access to exclusive investment opportunities. The token's price has been steadily rising since its launch in 2021, with a current all-time high of $1.43. Several factors are contributing to BGB's growth. The recent launch of Bitget PoolX, a staking platform offering rewards for holding BGB, is increasing demand for the token. Additionally, the growing popularity of the Bitget exchange itself is driving more users to BGB. Looking ahead, analysts are bullish on BGB due to its strong performance so far in 2024 and its potential for further adoption. However, cryptocurrency prices are volatile and can be influenced by various unforeseen events so predictions should not be taken as financial advice.
us