Deposits Incurred on open positions

Guest Lloyd

Fairly new to IG. 

Just need to confirm, once a trade is closed (share option), I presume all "deposits incurred on open positions" is taken by IG once the closure has taken place?  Or has it already been considered during the time the trade was held?

Also, would like to discuss to best way to trade long share options (least fees incurred). 

Lloyd

Hi , thanks for your post and welcome!

If you are trading options, the deposit on the position will depend on whether you are buying or selling the option.  If you are buying an option - either a call or a put - then this is essentially a limited risk trade, and your margin is the maximum you could lose.  If you are selling an option, this is margined in the same way as if you were selling the underlying.  Either way, your margin (deposit) is held aside while the trade is running, and released once the trade is closed in your favour.

For equity options, you just need to call our dealing desk (0207 896 0000) for quotes and to trade, and they would be happy to discuss any aspect of the options with you.  The reason we don't quote share option prices on the platform is simply because there are so many different strikes and expiries to list - once you have dealt however it would appear on your account to monitor.

Please feel free to start a thread to discuss options trading on the Community!

Thanks,

Hannah

Have a question? Try searching the community to see if it has already been answered.
  • 2 years later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• A former New York City police officer was indicted for conspiracy to commit wire fraud after he allegedly lied to investors and lost most of the $4.8 million they put into his foreign exchange-focused investment fund, prosecutors said Wednesday. On Thursday, newly unsealed records in Brooklyn federal court revealed that the business partner of Jason Rodriguez, the ex-cop indicted in the case, last month pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy in connection with their forex investment fund, Technical Trading Team.   Rodriguez, 37, is accused of falsely promising investors in Technical Trading Team that there would be guardrails to protect the trading risks for their money. That included a vow to never put a maximum of 1% of investors’ funds at risk at any given time, the indictment says. “In reality, Rodriguez ignored those guardrails and lost millions in investor funds and also misappropriated hundreds of thousands of dollars which he used to pay for luxury car rentals, travel and other personal expenses,” said Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Breon Peace. Peace’s office said that as Rodriguez, who was arrested Wednesday, lost an increasing amount of money in trading in foreign exchange, he used money from new investors to pay prior investors their promised investment returns.
    • Another good example of why I prefer DAX to other markets and the use of my own profitable method of Reverse Trades (see my previous post) is illustrated on the chart below for 29th May. If this is not clear, feel free to write to me and I will explain in greater detail.  
    • When will MT5 support be available with IG? Best regards, Jay
us