Why minimum stop pips away of some currencies pairs are in hundreds pips?

Guest loke1996

Question

Guest loke1996

For example, USD/CHF min pts away is 502 and USD/CAD min pts away is 196.

There is no way I can take trade for these currencies as I need to keep watching to ensure it not reaching my initial stop loss.

3 answers to this question

Mostly due to upcoming (within ~10 mins) major economic news like NON FARM PAYROLL.

Then they last another 5-15 mins depending on volatility, as this kind of news can swing a market big time.

Google "economic forex calendar" to understand what's coming up ahead.

Guest loke1996

It still not change back to normal after a few days. Now,half of currency paired in my watchlist show this problem. I think it is not about the economic news but is due to some technical problem.

Guest IG-Andi

On 05/11/2018 at 04:59, Demoni1 said:

Mostly due to upcoming (within ~10 mins) major economic news like NON FARM PAYROLL.

Then they last another 5-15 mins depending on volatility, as this kind of news can swing a market big time.

Google "economic forex calendar" to understand what's coming up ahead.

The observation is correct and stop distances can move during high market volatility, however in regards to the CHF the larger stop distance for times outside these periods are due to government intervention (some people read this as manipulation) and relatively recent events regarding the peg against the EUR. Due to an increased interventionist monetary policy there is a higher chance of volatility and the risks associated with that. We therefore need to push out our stop distances. 

Let me know if you need any further detail about the above. 

Archived