US Crude - validating price data?

Mack247

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can help me with this. Last night had a stop in at 1490 on US Crude. At midnight in the following 5 min interval the IG price opened at 1449, momentarily spiked to 1491 and closed my position, then closed the interval at 1457. Price now 1230. Woke up expecting to see a profit, yet stopped out at a loss. Have tried to find any evidence elsewhere of this spike, but I do not believe it is showing anywhere else. IG show the same spike on the JUN/JUL futures contracts. How can I go about validating this? I expect these prices will always track the underlying positions without any manipulation, but it's difficult to see it in this case. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi, a couple of problems, the spot market underlying that the spot tracks is derived from 2 futures contracts, but commentating agencies like Tradingview and Marketwatch will just use the front futures contract exchange price to give a spot price so it won't be the same The reason for the difference is that Tradingview and Marketwatch don't actually have to fill orders but brokers do. For FX prices Tradingview use the broker Oanda's prices and these will be more inline with IG.

Another problem is brokers sometimes need to reach further to get prices from liquidity providers to fill orders especially out of normal hours. Ultimately a broker's prices are what they can get.

I was just looking at another broker's chart FXPro who use a similar model as IG, it looks that just after midnight where IG lists around 1490 FXPro lists 1548.

7 minutes ago, Mack247 said:

Thanks. But I think the spot price IG use is based on the nearest two futures, and they show these spikes on both of those futures too.

as I've noted elsewhere I've seen this written as both using the front and next (back) contract and as here " the 2 most liquid futures contracts".

image.png.30b10b0cbac1141b5759251f0d0f559a.png

Looking at the price history for the CME CL future which I think is the futures contract that is used by IG, between midnight and 01h45, the June contract (May expiry) moved from ~11.10 to ~11.40. Over the same period the July contract (expiry June) traded from ~18.00 to $18.41.

So there was movement in the futures market, but you will have to calculate what that would have implied for the movement of the DFB spreadbet.

As @Caseynotes states and you are aware, the price is an interpolation of 2 contracts. 

At midnight your stop was about $0.40 from the price in a market which currently has a standard deviation on hourly charts of ~$2.00, or to say it differently your stop was 3.5% from the price in a market moving 20% a day. You're going to get stopped out by simple market noise a LOT if you use stops in the above manner.

Ian

Edited by Ian_944
  • Thought provoking 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Recently, U.S. Senator Bill Hagerty from Tennessee spoke at the Bitcoin conference, stating his efforts to push for Bitcoin-supportive legislation to promote freedom and opportunity. This year, cryptocurrency has become a key battleground in the election campaigns. It remains to be seen whether future policies on cryptocurrency will improve.
    • The digital landscape is undergoing a profound transformation as attention, once a freely given commodity, is increasingly recognized as a valuable asset. Layer3 is at the forefront of this revolution, pioneering a new economy where attention can be owned, traded, and monetized   This innovative approach empowers individuals to monetize their engagement, providing unprecedented control over personal data. Simultaneously, advertisers benefit from transparent metrics that optimize campaign performance. Content creators are presented with diverse revenue avenues beyond traditional advertising, while the overall ecosystem experiences a more equitable distribution of value.   The implications of Layer3 extend across various sectors. Social media platforms, for instance, can leverage this technology to revolutionize user engagement and monetization strategies. Tokenomics play a crucial role in driving Layer3's economy, incentivizing participation and rewarding value creation. While challenges such as data privacy and market volatility exist, the potential benefits of Layer3 are immense   Anticipation is building as its native token $L3 is on Bitget Pre-market as users await its listing on the exchange. This milestone is expected to significantly increase the token's visibility and accessibility, potentially driving substantial growth and attracting new investors. As the countdown begins, the crypto community watches with keen interest, eager to see how Layer3 will perform in this new chapter.
    • I've been exploring the world of play-to-earn gaming recently, looking for something that's not just about endless grinding but actually offers a fun and rewarding experience. OGC really stood out to me because it combines gaming with a sense of community in a unique way. OGC isn't just a game; it's a platform where you can play, earn, and even help shape its future. You're not just a player; you're part of a community with a voice. The idea of earning crypto while playing games is exciting, but what makes OGC special is its focus on community involvement. Your feedback can directly influence the development of the game, which is a big deal. I've also heard that the OGC token is available for pre-market trading on Bitget. While I'm still getting to know the platform and its features, it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Has anyone else tried OGC? What has your experience been like? I'd love to hear your thoughts and any tips you might have.
us