Why I Sold My Dow Position Earlier Today

It's time for some gin, lemonade and calculus !! I have only slept for 1.5 hours,  ( if that ) in the last 24 hours. 

Nah , I didn't have a party last night!  It's more of a function of tinkering with my analytical tools , plus we got a-lot going on at the office atm.   New systems installed   today. Therefore,  a-lot of skills need relearning. Result ? Chaos. Didn't get to eat the Chinese I saved from the prior nights meal for lunch !  It wasn't all bad. Big-Bossman came down  to the pharmacy and we had a good laugh. I like this man. He tells you what he requires off you and provides the support and tools to get it done...... Sexy. Effing. ****.    

Anyway we are here to talk about the #DOW. What a drop eh ? When I refreshed it this morning ( now yesterday)  whist listening to fire flame  . 

I noticed a change in the minute by minute cadence, of it's returns with respect to where they settled , when compared within plus or minus one standard deviation....... And...... me no likey.  See for yourself. ( time stamp highlighted) 

223200760_Screenshot2021-10-01at00_48_28.png.919b6d2d53eb391caf06e89eef5ca0ec.png

276930917_Screenshot2021-10-01at00_45_47.png.278ab3ea475c59e4b71f3d3c11cf1c36.png

The bottom= price chart green and red bars are +-1 standard deviations, the black line on the top chart is the .....umm.... lets call it the " volatility error calculation " Forgive me I haven't got the foggiest idea of what to call this thing seeing as  it didn't exist until i made it up in my head after a few months of consuming copious quantities of caffeinated products and many sleepless nights,  trying to teach myself a different way to think about complex systems of which no one really has a clue about . Bar "economists". .....Of-course.

It's just a visualisation tool I use as a way to time and refine my trade idea executions. The idea behind this tool is based on the relationship between price and vol.  Price up , vol down. As the error expands / rises higher prices tend to come down and vice versa. In normal circumstances a "range bound volatility error"  is common. However, I noticed the error kept getting larger and larger and larger.  And for anyone who has studied or not studied volatility regime shifts, vol has different regimes ( short term / episodic  vs  longer term/persistent/ trending)  these shifts happen in short time frames and are responsible for significant market moves. vThey are also  ones you do not want to be on the wrong side of ( remember my portfolio was on the receiving end of a Mike Tyson-level punch in Q1  2021 when I thought this endeavour was a cake walk😆  oh to be young and silly....

Any way, from my observations, rising vol ( rapidly falling error spreads or increasingly negative spreads  presage  drawback in prices.. FACT....... No no no no no I didn't make this up. The data is freely available and  you can do this analysis yourself.  When I run the calculations and chart the output thats what I have consistently observed. I saw  this occurring  in multiple time frames in sort of a " fractal cascade" . So I got out. Thankfully it was the right decision to make.  Not bad for a self taught  non finance educated pharmacist ehhh ???  

Thats it folks. Tired. Off to bed. 

Edited by Rintel

Turns out that was the right call....... No need to be distracted by headlines.... its all blah blah blah.... a good trading process helps prevent tears.... PS my trading account is SUB £1K . This is how you take on the market.... by not losing money when everyone else is. 

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 17.11.56.png