Buying crypto as a retail investor

Hi,

I was having fun trading crypto and then the regulations changed a couple of years ago and only professional clients could trade them. But I've just noticed that I can open deal tickets on Bitcoin and Litecoin and a couple of others. It looks as though the margin requirement is 100% so I'm wondering whether we're back to being able to trade as long as the positions are unleveraged. Just wanting to check, so that I don't open a position and then find it forceably closed at a loss when the system realises I'm not a professional client. 

Any other retail traders dabbling in this again?

Happy trading everyone!

Cate

Hi Anda ,

Thanks very much for the reply. The grayed out button was what I remember from last time I looked at crypto, but what I'm seeing now is if I put "bitcoin" into the search box I get a lot of small contracts where the buttons aren't grayed out. For example Bitcoin ($1), Bitcoin (£1), and the same for Litecoin, Ether, Ether/Bitcoin and a few others. 

If I pull up a deal ticket for Bitcoin(£1) for example it shows me that the minimum contract size is 0.01 contracts and the margin requirement is £308.27 . I can't see anything that would stop me trading. I just don't want to enter into the trade if I'm going to be automatically closed out because I shouldn't have been able to do it in the first place!

Do you think these are new special instruments - not like the spot - that retail can use?

Thanks again,

Cate

Hi @cate

Thanks for the feedback, 

As far as I know Crypto is still restricted for retail traders. It is likely that the system would block any attempt to trade. Not sure what you see your side however the smaller contracts are also grayed out my side. You are welcome to verify this on helpdesk.uk@ig.com

All the best, 

Anda 

image.png

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    urbant
    Joined 02/02/23 10:26
    • Hi @LiamWhite Thank you for reaching out. We believe there is a risk of Novo Integrated Sciences Inc going OTC soon. It would be difficult for us to offer this on the share dealing at the moment. All the best, OfentseIG
    • Charting the Markets: 2 February FTSE 100, DAX and S&P 500 in strong form following FOMC meeting. EUR/USD, EUR/GBP and GBP/USD rally post US Fed 25 bps rate hike. And gold boosted by weak dollar, as Natural gas and Brent crude prices head lower. Shaun Murison | Senior Market Analyst, Johannesburg | Publication date: Thursday 02 February 2023               This is here for you to catch up but if you have any ideas on markets or events you want us to relay to the TV team we’re more than happy to.
    • EUR/USD, EUR/GBP and GBP/USD rally post US Fed 25 bps rate hike Technical analysis on EUR/USD, EUR/GBP and GBP/USD within their fundamental context.  Axel Rudolph FSTA | Senior Financial Analyst, London | Publication date: Thursday 02 February 2023  EUR/USD surges to ten-month high on 25 bps Fed rate hike EUR/USD rallied to a ten-month high and broke through the psychological $1.10 barrier for the first time since April 2022 as the US Federal Reserve (Fed) raised the fed funds rate by 25 basis points (bp) to 4.50% to 4.75% and its chairman Jerome Powell mentioned the word “disinflation” several times in his comments, leading to a rebound in risk appetite and a weaker US dollar. The cross now trades around the $1.10 mark with the November 2021 low and the March 2022 high at $1.1185 being in focus, as well as the 200-week simple moving average (SMA) at $1.1226 and perhaps even the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the 2021-to-2022 bear market at $1.127. Slips should find support between the late April 2022 high and the 50% retracement of the 2021 to 2022 descent as well as last week’s high at $1.094 to $1.0929. While Tuesday’s low at $1.0802 underpins, the medium-term uptrend remains intact. Source: IT-Finance.com EUR/GBP is gunning for its £0.8897 mid-January high Earlier this week EUR/GBP revisited but then rallied off its December-to-January uptrend line at £0.8763 whilst awaiting Thursday’s European Central Bank (ECB) and Bank of England (BoE) rate decisions with both central banks expected to hike rates by 50-bp later today. The January high at £0.8897 is currently being revisited, a rise above which would lead to levels last traded in September 2022 being reached with the minor £0.90 mark being targeted. Minor support below the £0.8877 December high is to be found around last week’s £0.8852 high. While Wednesday’s low at £0.8817 underpins, immediate upside pressure should be maintained. Source: IT-Finance.com GBP/USD has the $1.2446 December high in its sights GBP/USD is once more heading up towards the December high at $1.2446 as traders await to hear by how much the BoE will raise rates today with the market anticipating a 50-bp hike to 4%. On the way up resistance can be spotted between the December and late January highs at $1.2431 to $1.2448. If overcome, the $1.25 mark would be next in line. Strong support remains to be seen between the late January and early February lows at $1.2272 to $1.2263 as well as along the September-to-February uptrend line at $1.2232. Source: IT-Finance.com