GBP/USD Forecast: Surprise Decline in UK GDP, Sterling Hitting the Lows

GBP/USD Price Analysis & News

• UK GDP Contracts In April
  • GBP Vulnerable to a Dovish Repricing

GBP/USD Forecast: Surprise Decline in UK GDP, Sterling Hitting the Lows

UK Q1 GDP Recap

UK GDP April M/M: -0.3% vs Exp. 0.1% (Prior -0.1%) April 3M/3M: 0.2% vs Exp. 0.4% (Prior 0.8%)

UK GDP for April posted a surprise contraction of 0.3%, marking a second consecutive month of negative growth, in which all main sectors declined. However, the decline in growth had largely been driven by the significant reduction in test and trace activity, detracting 0.5ppt from the monthly figure. That being said, in light of today’s GDP figure, the Bank of England’s Q2 forecast of 0.1% of growth looks unlikely to be reached with risks geared toward a quarterly GDP contraction of around 0.5%.

What’s more, the cost of living squeeze further highlights the stagflation risks that the UK economy faces, particularly as consumer confidence falls to record lows. Overnight, the CBI downgraded its growth outlook to 3.7% for this year, from 5.1% and 1% (prev. 3%) in 2023, while inflation is seen rising to 8.7% in October.

Consequently, this further complicates matters for the Bank of England. The Bank is expected to raise interest rates for a fifth consecutive meeting. Although, what is surprising is markets currently price in around 40bps of tightening at the upcoming meeting. To me this is unlikely to happen given that the BoE has been a reluctant hiker during this tightening cycle, meanwhile, they have also raised concerns over growth, which will only be exacerbated after today’s GDP report. As such, GBP downside will persist with the currency the poster child for stagflation and remains vulnerable to a dovish repricing. GBP/USD eyes a return to the YTD low, while a double top and bearish RSI divergence in GBP/JPY highlights reversal risks.

Jun 13, 2022 | DailyFX
Justin McQueen, Strategist

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• The digital landscape is undergoing a profound transformation as attention, once a freely given commodity, is increasingly recognized as a valuable asset. Layer3 is at the forefront of this revolution, pioneering a new economy where attention can be owned, traded, and monetized   This innovative approach empowers individuals to monetize their engagement, providing unprecedented control over personal data. Simultaneously, advertisers benefit from transparent metrics that optimize campaign performance. Content creators are presented with diverse revenue avenues beyond traditional advertising, while the overall ecosystem experiences a more equitable distribution of value.   The implications of Layer3 extend across various sectors. Social media platforms, for instance, can leverage this technology to revolutionize user engagement and monetization strategies. Tokenomics play a crucial role in driving Layer3's economy, incentivizing participation and rewarding value creation. While challenges such as data privacy and market volatility exist, the potential benefits of Layer3 are immense   Anticipation is building as its native token $L3 is on Bitget Pre-market as users await its listing on the exchange. This milestone is expected to significantly increase the token's visibility and accessibility, potentially driving substantial growth and attracting new investors. As the countdown begins, the crypto community watches with keen interest, eager to see how Layer3 will perform in this new chapter.
    • I've been exploring the world of play-to-earn gaming recently, looking for something that's not just about endless grinding but actually offers a fun and rewarding experience. OGC really stood out to me because it combines gaming with a sense of community in a unique way. OGC isn't just a game; it's a platform where you can play, earn, and even help shape its future. You're not just a player; you're part of a community with a voice. The idea of earning crypto while playing games is exciting, but what makes OGC special is its focus on community involvement. Your feedback can directly influence the development of the game, which is a big deal. I've also heard that the OGC token is available for pre-market trading on Bitget. While I'm still getting to know the platform and its features, it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Has anyone else tried OGC? What has your experience been like? I'd love to hear your thoughts and any tips you might have.
    • I am anticipating the impact of this listing on Mongy. 
us