Simple Moving Average

I'm obviously doing something wrong here but the values showing for the Simple moving average on my charts seem to be different to the actual values (from google/various experts charts). What am I doing wrong?

E.g. on the US500, I get the 200 day moving average to be 4250 on my chart but 4328 seems to be what google says?

Hi Billbot, the chart price you see on IG charts is always different from the underlying market. If you look at the bottom left of any IG chart you will see "Data is indicative". In the case of the US500 IG takes the price of the current ES (S&P 500 futures contract) and the next futures contract. They then do some adjustments resulting in the price you see on the chart.

That way they can offer you free real time data (access to real time market data costs a lot of money, in the case of markets trading at the CME the price is currently about 200$). If you need accurate readings (including LVL2), I would suggest you look for a data feed provider such as IQFeed or Rythimic and plug it to a professional charting package such as RInvestor+

Thanks again ItsAlex. That makes sense but the descrepancy I am getting seems too big for this to be the reason (maybe I am wrong though). I also noticed on IG's chartingthemarkets today, Chris B's chart of US500 had the 200 day sma where it should have been according to google etc. which is quite a way out from my chart.

Can you tell me what you get for the 200 day sma on Nasdaq (daily chart for US500 doesn't load today for some reason) as of today on your IG chart?

Yeah sure, the Nasdaq 100 E-mini September (current contract) 200 Daily SMA is @14072.50 (Data from IQFeed with a subscription to the CME). I have attached a daily chart if needed

On the IG platform US Tech 100 Daily SMA is @ 13528.55200 which was just crossed by price 💀.

200ma_nq.PNG

Edited by ItsAlex

Ok, that is what I get (so I am not doing something dumb). That is a big difference. There is not much use using it as an indicator if it is that far out then I guess. If everyone else in the trading world is using something different it is as good as useless no?

I have just discovered this problem myself. I've been looking at the S&P 200-day SMA, and on the IG charts, it has already been breached last Friday and the price is well above now. However, on TradingView, MarketWatch, and the rest of the trading world(?), it has not reached it yet! WTF! And the discrepancy is not tiny, it is 'non-trivial', and therefore misleading.

Edited by jdh1602-2

The response from IG's help desk is:

"When calculating the moving average we use our prices adjusted for spread in the MA formula. The difference would be caused by our spread adjustment and the MA you're seeing on other platforms uses the underlying Cash Price."

I still can't believe the descrepancy should be as big as it is

I called IG helpdesk myself, and I got a similar answer to you, Billbot. Maybe Kodiak, above, is right, but I haven't done the maths myself! Either way, if we look at our own 200-day SMA on IG, we are getting a different perspective to much of the trading world out there. 

Here's my solution (which perhaps is what many others do?). Change the day count setting from 200 to something higher (or lower in other circumstances?) so that it matches more closely to the 'standard' curve that the rest of the world is looking at! As of today, a 250-day SMA on IG looks close to the 200-day 'normal' SMA on other platforms! I'm guessing other 'standard' curves, may need adjustment, not sure.

It doesn't seem to work with other indices. If the reason was because of including weekends it should remedy it on all indices.

If the reason is as IG say then it really is as good as useless (in fact worse) as an indicator on the IG platform.

For S&P500 and NASDAQ 100, i'm using 250, 185 and 125 on IG to roughly match 200, 150, and 100 on TradingView...but nothing beyond those 2 indices, This is not critical for me, but lately i have been completely misled by the IG curves compared to what market commentators were saying/showing. I think it may have been confusing me for years without me realizing it! Sad, but true.

That's odd I tried on Nasdaq and it seemed to be well out. I am getting 14038 for 250 sma on IG. google is telling me it should be 13498. What are you getting? I notice on trading view the volume looks totally different to that on IG too.

I'm not sure if you can change the title of this thread, but if it said something like "Moving Averages on IG don't match other platforms", that would alert some other people to this issue. To be honest, i'm mildly disturbed by this discovery! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Telcoin is a frontrunner in leveraging blockchain technology for affordable and accessible mobile money transfers. Intrigued by this concept? Let's explore other projects working to revolutionize how we send and receive money around the world, with a focus on mobile solutions. MobileCoin (MOB), this project aims to provide a secure and private mobile-first cryptocurrency specifically designed for everyday transactions. Abra (ABRA), this global investment app allows users to buy, sell, and trade various cryptocurrencies and assets, including sending and receiving money internationally. So, is Telcoin the only game in town for mobile money transfers cause they got listed on Bitget? Maybe or maybe not! There are established players and innovative startups tackling this challenge. What do you think? Is Telcoin the future of mobile money transfers, or just a piece of the puzzle? Have you explored any other mobile money transfer projects? Share your thoughts in the comments!
    • Mande Network's vision of an "Onchain Credibility Hub" for Web3, powered by "Proof-of-Credibility" and a "Human Capital Network," is intriguing. Decentralized Society (DESO), this project aims to create a social network where users own their data and can monetize their content and contributions. Human Protocol (HMN), this platform connects skilled individuals with tasks and projects, focusing on building a more efficient and transparent talent marketplace. Is Mande Network the ultimate solution for valuing human capital in Web3 cause they are listed on Bitget? Maybe or maybe! It's a promising project, but there are others addressing this space. What do you think? Is Mande Network a revolutionary force in human capital valuation, or just one step in the evolution of Web3? Have you explored any other projects focused on human capital or reputation in the decentralized space? Share your thoughts in the comments!
    • Natural Gas Mode - Larger degree bullish correction Structure - Impulse wave C (circled) of Flat Position - Wave (4) Direction - Wave (4) is still in play Details:  It appears the price is now correcting lower in wave (4). Alternatively, this could be 2nd wave of an extended wave 5 of (3). We need more price data to be sure. However, the former is more likely. Natural Gas Elliott Wave Analysis Since late February 2024, natural gas has rebounded over 80% after hitting its lowest price since mid-2020. The commodity is poised to continue higher, potentially reaching new highs not seen since 2023. However, in the long term, this recovery could be part of the retracement of the bearish trend that began in October 2022, when prices were around $10.   Daily Chart Analysis: On the daily chart, a bearish impulse wave started at $10.029 in August 2022 and completed at $1.944 in April 2023. Following a bearish impulse, a bullish correction typically ensues, which is what the current price action represents. The pattern emerging is an irregular flat correction. Wave A and B (circled) concluded at $3.666 and $1.524 respectively. The price is now advancing in an impulse structure corresponding to wave C (circled). Wave C might terminate near $3.666 or possibly breach it. The impulse structure from $1.524 is crucial in determining the completion point of the corrective phase from $1.944.   H4 Chart Analysis: On the H4 chart, the impulse for wave C (circled) has completed the first three sub-waves, i.e., waves (1), (2), and (3) of the intermediate degree. The 4th wave is emerging downwards, potentially forming a zigzag structure based on its initial appearance. It appears that wave A of (C) is still ongoing, indicating that wave (4) has not yet completed. The corrective decline could extend to the Fibonacci zone between $2.56 and $2.37 before wave (5), which has the potential to reach or even exceed the $3.666 high from October 2023, starts.   Summary: Natural gas has seen a significant recovery since late February 2024, bouncing back over 80% from its mid-2020 low. This recovery is likely a part of the retracement of the bearish trend from October 2022.    On the daily chart, a bearish impulse wave concluded in April 2023, followed by an upward correction that seems to be forming an irregular flat pattern. Wave A and B have ended, and wave C is advancing. The impulse structure from $1.524 will be critical in determining the completion of the corrective phase.   On the H4 chart, the impulse for wave C has completed the first three sub-waves, with wave (4) now developing. The corrective decline might continue to the Fibonacci zone of $2.56 to $2.37 before wave (5) begins, potentially reaching or surpassing the $3.666 high from October 2023. Traders should monitor these key levels to anticipate the next phase of the bullish correction. Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
us