Fed rate decision

FiringSquad13

Hi ,

I thought I'd let everyone know that the IG TV team is going to be broadcasting live from 6.55pm this evening to follow the FED announcment and track how the markets react.  will be joining Sara in providing insight from our TV studio as the data is released; then one of our Premium Client Managers will be interviewed directly from the dealing floor to explain where our clients are placing their money and where the deals are flowing. 

You'll be able to watch it on the following site: http://www.ig.com/uk/live-video 

If you have any questions throughout the evening, let me know on here. I'll try and post the announcment as soon as it happens at 7pm. 

When Janet Yellen promises, she delivers. That is the message many will take away from the Fed decision tonight. While the press conference is still to come, hopefully bringing with it more clarity on the path for 2016, the absence of dissent and the retention of ‘gradual’ in the statement will mean that, for the next two weeks at least, stock markets can look forward to further gains. Compared to the volatility that might have transpired had they ducked the decision, the reaction has been muted, but then that is probably the outcome Janet was looking for.

The problem now is that the easy part is done with. Now attention turns to the path of further rate increases in 2016 and beyond. Given her careful positioning over the course of the past year, it is highly likely that Yellen will seek to keep all her options open. We became used to the phrase ‘data dependant’ in recent months, but it is a refrain that will serve the Fed well in coming months. Perhaps, for now at least, we can all just look forward to Christmas.

Chris

This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.

Why didn't they do that in September?  I see that the probability is higher now for a rate cut in Jan than a further rise.  So "someone" thinks that the rate rise was a policy mistake or the language not dovish enough.  Not sure if that will become a consensus.   

I'm impressed with IG TV Team doing a live chat too -  ,  .  While I didn't catch it live, I think it deserves a thumbs-up !

Archived