FTSE 250: Superdry shares crash after warning, possible stock dilution

FTSE 250-listed clothing retailer Superdry has had more bad news for investors today which has resulted in its stock closing in on the Covid lows.

Jeremy Naylor | Analyst, London | Publication date: Friday 14 April 2023 

While it said retail sales continue to show good like-for-like growth, they are being registered at a slower rate than anticipated.

Given the challenging trading environment, the Board has taken the decision to withdraw the existing profit guidance of 'broadly breakeven' for FY23.

There are now capital raise options being considered, including a potential equity raise up to 20%, fully supported by Julian Dunkerton, founder and CEO.

Superdry shares crash

The London-listed clothing retailer Superdry has seen its shares crash today as a result of news headlines which really disappointed traders and investors.

This morning retail sales continue to show good like-for-like growth, albeit at a slower rate than we saw last year and indeed less than had been expected.

Share price chart

Let's take a look at the share price chart. Just a quick run through of what all this means is that we're not now at record lows. That was as a result of the Covid low that we saw all the way back in March 2020 when the stock was down at 60.7 pence.

But during Covid, when it went big online, you can see this stock rose to the post Covid highs at 492 pence. Here we are now at 87.5 pence. We are down below the recent line of support. We're down 17.6% at the moment.

The full-year (FY) 2023 revenue is now expected in the range of between £650 to £635 million last year. It was £609 million.

The company says given the challenging trading environment, the board has taken the decision to withdraw the existing profit guidance and broadly break even for fiscal 2023. Now, this was enough to take the stock down.

Then came the announcement that there was a capital raise being suggested including potential equity raise for up to 20% fully supported by Julian Duncan, the founder and chief executive.

But all this added up to a very poor start on the trading day today for Superdry, which is continuing to find the going tough

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Prepare to witness a paradigm shift in Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions with Merlin Chain, an innovative platform that integrates the ZK-rollup network, decentralized oracle, and on-chain BTC anti-fraud module. With seamless compatibility with the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), Merlin Chain sets new standards for security, transparency, and interoperability in the blockchain ecosystem.  Creating a Safe and Transparent Environment: At the core of Merlin Chain's mission lies its commitment to creating a safe and transparent environment for all investors. By integrating anti-fraud security solutions directly into the blockchain, Merlin Chain mitigates the risk of fraudulent activities and ensures the integrity of transactions. With Merlin Chain, users can trust that their assets are protected and transactions are executed with the highest level of security and transparency. Excitement mounts as Merlin Chain (MERL) prepares for listing on Bitget Exchange on April 19th, 2024, at 10:00 (UTC). This milestone event not only amplifies Merlin Chain's visibility but also provides users with a trusted platform to trade and engage with the MERL token. As Merlin Chain continues to push the boundaries of Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions, its listing on Bitget Exchange marks a significant step forward in its journey towards broader recognition and adoption.
    • Rarible is a revolutionary platform for artists and creators in the digital world. It functions as both: Software: Artists can use it to create and sell unique crypto assets representing ownership of their digital work, like illustrations or animations. These are known as Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). Marketplace: Buyers can discover and purchase these NFTs directly from creators, eliminating the need for intermediaries.   Built for the Community: It is a community-owned marketplace, powered by its native token, RARI. Owning RARI tokens gives holders a voice in shaping the platform’s future.   Exciting News! Rarible recently listed its token (RARI) on the Bitget exchange, along with a “candybomb” event to reward holders. This is a great opportunity for artists and crypto enthusiasts alike to explore the world of NFTs on Rarible.
    • ...............to make my question a little clearer. Yesterday i had around £800 to deal.   I bought 2 stocks with the full account value leaving around £2 Available to Deal.  While there was a considerable amount Unsettled Credit and Debit which is not uncommon as i trade many times daily, I bought the stocks with no issue.  Shortly after, my Available to Deal showed as -£495 instead of £2, Funds showed as -£495 and my account value showed as £320. even though my stocks choices were only down less than £5 each.
us