Options Trading opening times

Danmilner

Question

Is there an obvious reason I am missing as to why I can trade in monthly options for the us500 and Wall Street right now but not on the us tech 100? I know the American market is not currently ‘open’ but how come these behave differently to one another? 

thanks 

Dan

3 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Danmilner said:

Hi @AshishIG,

just as an example it is currently 7:33am uk time and I am able to trade Wall Street and US500 monthly options right now however tech100 shows as closed for me. I just wondered why they have different opening hours on your platform for options? 

thanks 

Dan 

Hi @Danmilner,

The reason is that there are no after-hours sessions available for US Tech 100 that we can consider. However, there is an after-hours session available for US 500, and the Dow is highly correlated with US 500.

We provide NDX options that are based on the cash market. These options can be traded on the PHLX (Philadelphia Stock Exchange) from 14:30 to 21:15 UK time. On the other hand, SPX options trade on the CBOE (Chicago Board Options Exchange) nearly around the clock, which allows us to offer continuous trading. Although the Dow options market is also not very active, the volatility of the Dow is closely correlated with SPX, so we are willing to offer Dow options. However, we cannot trade Nasdaq options outside of regular cash market hours.
Hope this helps.

All the best,
AshishIG
Take a quick poll and vote

• Thanks 1
On 16/06/2023 at 16:25, Danmilner said:

Is there an obvious reason I am missing as to why I can trade in monthly options for the us500 and Wall Street right now but not on the us tech 100? I know the American market is not currently ‘open’ but how come these behave differently to one another? 

thanks 

Dan

@Danmilner,

Are you still unable to view the monthly options trading for US Tech 100 on the platform? It is currently available for both July and August.

All the best,
AshishIG

On 19/06/2023 at 05:56, AshishIG said:

@Danmilner,

Are you still unable to view the monthly options trading for US Tech 100 on the platform? It is currently available for both July and August.

All the best,
AshishIG

Hi @AshishIG,

just as an example it is currently 7:33am uk time and I am able to trade Wall Street and US500 monthly options right now however tech100 shows as closed for me. I just wondered why they have different opening hours on your platform for options? 

thanks 

Dan