Jump to content

Wall Street: US stocks soar to records on tech earnings, job surge


Recommended Posts

US stocks reach new highs post-FOMC, fueled by tech earnings and a robust January jobs report. Ahead: economic insights and Fed speeches amid February's market challenges.

Written by: Tony Sycamore | Market Analyst, Australia
 
Publication date: 

After a brief FOMC-inspired volatility episode mid-week, regular service resumed as US stock markets finished last week at fresh record highs, following strong earnings reports from Mega Tech (Meta +20.32%) and a robust jobs report. For the week, the Dow Jones added 545 points (+1.43%), the S&P 500 added 1.38% and the Nasdaq gained 1.27%.

Non-farm payrolls on Friday night surprised to the upside as the US economy added 353k jobs in January, smashing expectations for a gain of 180k. The number was accompanied by cumulative upward revisions over the prior two months of 126k, as the unemployment rate held steady at 3.7%, slightly below the 3.8% forecast. The US rates market is pricing in just a 20% chance of a rate cut in March, down from a near 80% probability in early January.

The US economic calendar is much lighter this week, following a blockbuster couple of weeks. ISM services PMI will be of interest, as well as updated thoughts from Fed speakers, including Bostic, Bowman, and Barkin. US Q4 earnings season continues this week with reports scheduled from companies including McDonalds, Caterpillar, Alibaba, Walt Disney, Uber, Paypal and PepsiCo.

As we push deeper into February, it is worth remembering that February is traditionally one of the more challenging months of the year for US equity markets. The slippery slope usually starts in mid-February and extends into the first week of March.

S&P 500 Seasonality Index

 

original-size.webpEquityclock.com

What is expected from the ISM Services PMI (Tuesday, February 6th at 2 am)

Last week, the ISM manufacturing PMI beat expectations, increasing by two points to 49.1, the highest level since 2022. The increase was driven by new orders and production, which entered expansionary territory, and supported the idea of a turn higher in manufacturing after fifteen months in contractionary territory.

This week, attention turns to the ISM service PMI (Tuesday, February 6th at 2 am). It is expected to print at 51.7, rebounding from 50.4 in December, representing continued expansion in the services sector.

ISM Service PMI chart

 

original-size.webpSource: TradingEconomics

S&P 500 technical analysis

After a strong rally for the S&P 500 into the end of 2023, we started the new year in a more cautious/neutral frame of mind.

We remain of the view that the S&P 500 is in the final stages (Wave V) of its rally from the October 2023 low, and note again, the bearish RSI divergence on the daily chart. Bearish RSI divergence occurs when prices make new highs; but the RSI fails to make a new high.

Furthermore, the S&P 500 cash is closing in on the psychologically important 5000 resistance level, which is being reinforced by trendline resistance at 5020, drawn from the December 1st 4100 high, viewed on the chart below.

As such, we remain patient, waiting for a pullback to develop in the coming weeks in the order of 5-8%.

S&P 500 daily chart

 

original-size.webpSource: TradingView

Nasdaq technical analysis

After a strong rally for the Nasdaq into the end of 2023, we started the new year in a more cautious/neutral frame of mind.

We remain of the view that the Nasdaq is in the final stages (Wave V) of its rally from the October 2023 low. However, a break/ daily close below uptrend support at 17,100, coming from the October lows, is needed to suggest that the Nasdaq has topped and that a deeper retracement towards support at 16,200/16,000 is underway. Until then, allow for the Nasdaq to extend its rally towards 18,000.

Nasdaq daily chart

 

original-size.webpSource: TradingView

  • Source: TradingView. The figures stated are as of 5 February 2024. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This report does not contain and is not to be taken as containing any financial product advice or financial product recommendation.

 

 

This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Australia Pty Ltd. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Crypto trading is a bit complicated when it comes to understanding the dynamics in profit making. Some people are more inclined to technical analysis which of course has been the widely used trading tool but some are more inclined to fundamentals but sticking to fundamentals alone could be highly risky in my own opinion even though crypto is also financial instrument that often respond to news updates.  A blend of the two could provide a safety net for traders in minimizing losses compared to potential profit. The above case scenario is largely attributed to perp futures trading and other derivatives. TA and FA could also be very useful for spot trading but I feel timely listing of projects could largely determine one's profit from investing in a project. These may not be for all projects cos some are **** coins. This could be a personal perspective but I have noticed listing speed is also another important factor to consider along with project fundamentals when trading and if we are to include listing speed as a factor for choosing trade then it will affect our choice of trading platform cos some are more inclined to top cap projects while others are more inclined low cap gems.   My experience with ORDI has proven this trading skill rewarding. ORDI was first listed on Bitget before other exchange joined the listing party after it saw rapid adoption reflecting in it significant MCap growth. This chart should give us a glimpse of my experience with this strategy.
    • In a stunning display of market momentum, the PANDORA token, the first of its kind, has skyrocketed an astonishing 4872% from its introduction on February 2nd to February 7th. This remarkable performance has not only caught the attention of cryptocurrency enthusiasts but has also solidified PANDORA’s position as a groundbreaking asset in the digital currency landscape. Pandora's ERC-404 protocol revolutionizes the token landscape by seamlessly blending the qualities of ERC20 and ERC721 standards. This experimental mixed implementation enables persistent liquidity and non-fungibility for NFTs, unlocking a realm of possibilities previously unexplored. Adding to the excitement, Bitget Wallet is gearing up to introduce a specialized section dedicated to ERC-404 token market listings. This feature creates a hub for tokens that blend the best of both worlds—the liquidity of ERC-20s and the uniqueness of ERC-721 NFTs. I have come to believe that, the electrifying surge of PANDORA token and the innovative ERC-404 standard is not just a fleeting trend but a window into the future of cryptocurrency.
    • A significant turning point in the #PORTALxBitget collaboration is the listing of $PORTAL on Bitget through the Candybomb event, which opens up benefits and synergistic prospects like 1. Diversified Trading choices: Users now have access to a wide range of trading choices thanks to $PORTAL's listing on the exchange, including cutting-edge leveraged trading capabilities and spot trading. This gives customers the freedom to interact with $PORTAL in a way that suits their preferred level of risk and trading techniques. 2. Community Synergy: By uniting the exchange users and the pre-existing $PORTAL community, the Candybomb event stimulates community engagement. Through this synergy, a positive environment surrounding #PORTALxBitget may be developed, encouraging cooperation, information exchange, and sustained interest in the project. Could this recent collab stimulate the  stage for a fruitful and mutually beneficial relationship between #PORTAL and exchange.
×
×
  • Create New...
us