Collateral for Pro clients

gemtex

Question

As a Pro client can collateral used from a direct share holding be used to cover initial margin requirements on the same CFD share? EG. If I own $100,000 CBA shares could I use the collateral on that holding to buy CBA CFD's?

5 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, gemtex said:

As a Pro client can collateral used from a direct share holding be used to cover initial margin requirements on the same CFD share? EG. If I own $100,000 CBA shares could I use the collateral on that holding to buy CBA CFD's?

Dear @gemtex,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, please note that you can use up to 95% of the value of your IG share trading account as margin for leveraged trades. You can only use your shareholdings to cover the initial margin on your CFDs. Any running losses will need to be covered by the available cash in your margined account.

Your shareholdings remain intact and retain their full value; you simply use a percentage of their worth as collateral to fund shorter-term trades. You'll need both an IG share trading account and a CFD account.

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

- KoketsoIG

Thanks for the reply. I specifically want to know if the collateral of a direct share holding can be used to cover the margin requirements of a CFD in the same share.

Also, is there a list of Australian shares showing the current collateral value of each?  The link provided on the Collateral page in MYIG does not open for me

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gemtex said:

Thanks for the reply. I specifically want to know if the collateral of a direct share holding can be used to cover the margin requirements of a CFD in the same share.

Also, is there a list of Australian shares showing the current collateral value of each?  The link provided on the Collateral page in MYIG does not open for me

Dear @gemtex,

Unfortunately, you cannot use a direct shareholding, but the value of your shareholdings. 

Just to clarify, on My IG, are you trying to link your CFD account to your share dealing account? 

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

- KoketsoIG

Yes, I understand that the direct share holding is held in a separate account to the CFD account. If the only shareholding I had in my direct share account was CBA shares can I use the collateral value on that holding to purchase CFD's in CBA. Yes or No?

I am referring to the following link:  My IG > Live Accounts > Set Up Collateral > See our collateral FAQ and examples > Shares List (half way down the page)

I have attached a snapshot of the link and the error message I receive when trying to open the link

Thanks.

29feb1.thumb.png.f6e510f666e834fddbff0953fa896752.png

ig2.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gemtex said:

Yes, I understand that the direct share holding is held in a separate account to the CFD account. If the only shareholding I had in my direct share account was CBA shares can I use the collateral value on that holding to purchase CFD's in CBA. Yes or No?

I am referring to the following link:  My IG > Live Accounts > Set Up Collateral > See our collateral FAQ and examples > Shares List (half way down the page)

I have attached a snapshot of the link and the error message I receive when trying to open the link

Thanks.

29feb1.thumb.png.f6e510f666e834fddbff0953fa896752.png

ig2.png

Dear @gemtex,

Thank you for clarifying. Apologies for the inconvenience. Kindly try the following: Shares List

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

- KoketsoIG