Wider investment strategy

Guest SouthWesterly

Guest SouthWesterly

I’m a tiny investor but seeing good returns on most of the investments I make.

Two basic approaches.

The main one to invest in companies with a good track record that experienced a sudden drop in share price due to a clear event. Then sell when a predetermined price is reached.

Two examples:

Deepwater Horizon. Bought BP when the shares appeared to have stopped dropping, sold 8 days later at 15% day before it was capped.

Bought ARM stock after announcement iPhone sales were underperforming. Know enough of IT industry to realise that a 10% under expectation from one client doesn’t justify that size of drop for ARM.

Quite often the shares are held till quarterly profit announcements when the big investors re-evaluate price based on the numbers.

The other approach is to buy mining stock which is undervalued, had some success in Cobalt mining (the company went bust and the asset sale raised three times what I paid), also some good results from US gas.

The problem is massively undervalued mining stock, and great performing companies having set backs are rare beasts. At least across FTSE and AIM.

What is my best approach to finding such companies automatically?

Are there other similar strategies that offer smaller returned, but perhaps more opportunities to make those returns?

Also are others following similar strategies seeing smaller returns?

Hi  - great first post! I know there are a few shares traders on here, and also a couple of people who advocate the 'buy the dip' strategy for businesses who have a solid business model and firm fundamentals. 

I'll leave answering your questions to the wider Community members, but just wanted to say welcome.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• Trading Strategies NASDAQ 100 (NDX), Apple (AAPL), Tesla (TSLA), Amazon (AMZN), Nvidia (NVDA), Microsoft (MSFT), Meta Platforms (META), Netflix (NFLX), Alphabet (GOOGL), Bitcoin (BTC). Elliott Wave Analysis of NDX Tech Stocks: Risk on with this week expecting higher price levels. Longer term Elliott wave counts for NVDA, GOOGL and MSFT. I also focus on how I fit stock and Indices into the same larger Elliott wave count, that is into Primary Wave 3) of cycle degree I. Last we started to enter long trades for stocks, some have triggered long, and some are still pending, and I make an adjustment on the entry for AMZN a lower entry price. In a nutshell there is no change in Elliott wave counts. Video Chapters 00:00 NASDAQ 100 (NDX) 03:34 Apple (AAPL) 05:02 Amazon (AMZN) 08:56 NVIDIA (NVDA) 15:33 Meta Platforms (META) 16:37 Netflix (NFLX)  17:32 Alphabet (GOOGL) 24:28 Microsoft MSFT 25:39 Tesla (TSLA) 26:52 Bitcoin 29:52 End Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge  
    • Gate io Referrl Code: used as “3930511”. It is the most used referrl code in the world, valid for life, with the highest discount rate. When registering, write “3930511” in the field where it says “Referrl ID”. The commission discount you will receive is 100%. You can also win welcome rewards worth up to $6,666.
    • Gate io Referns Kod u: “3930511” olarak kullanilir. Dünyada en çok kullanılan, ömür boyu geçerli, en yüksek indirim oranına sahip Gate io referns kod udur. Gate io kripto para borsasına kayıt olurken “Referns Kimliği” yazan yere “3930511” yazınız. Alacağınız işlem ücreti indirimi % 100'dür. Ayrıca 6666$ USDT komisyon iade bonusu alacaksınız. Kripto para borsası Gate io Referns Kod u: “3930511” ile vadeli işlem yani futures işlem ücreti indirimleri ve spot ve marjin işlem ücreti indirimleri kazanırsınız. Ayrıca bonuslar ve bir çok promosyon kazanırsınız. Teknoloji ve finans dünyasında yatırım ve ticaret yapmak için hemen Gate io borsasına: “3930511” referns kod u ile kayıt olun.
us