Sign in to follow this  

Do IG offer Bed and ISA?

With a couple of days to go before the end of the UK tax year, I thought I would post a quick overview of the Bed and ISA offering we have.

What is Bed and ISA

For those who aren't aware, an Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) shelters your investments from Capital Gains Tax and further tax on dividends. The idea behind a BED & ISA is simple, as a client you can sell your non-ISA investments and then use the proceeds to buy them back immediately within an ISA, meaning the assets are in a more tax efficient wrapper. HMRC do not allow the movement of shares into an ISA, so they need to be sold and the cash transferred to the ISA before they can be repurchased. 

Costs of a Bed and ISA

We charge £40 on the sale of shares, but no cost on the repurchase. There may be PTM Levy of £1 to pay on both sides of the trade, depending on the share and the consideration of the trade. There will be a spread charged but no more than £30 - £50, and depending on the share, you may need to pay Stamp Duty on the repurchase within their ISA. 

Process

This needs to be done over the phone, however we are currently looking at ways to automate the process. Please give us a call and ask to speak to one of our sales traders. 

If you have any questions, please just ask. 

Requested bed and breakfast of shares from share dealing to ISA account on 6th April. Still not executed, so I had to contact IG today, the 9th April. IG would not waive the fee and still have not executed the transfer. Poor service.

Hi  - I'm sorry that there was a slightly delay in the Bed and Breakfast. As I'm sure you can imagine we have a significant number of these to process with it being a new tax year, and we can only execute the trades during the LSE market hours so couldn't clear anything over the weekend. I have spoken to the Senior Sales Trader who will be doing this and he has confirmed it will get done today. 

Apologies once again for the delay. 

Hi  - I can confirm that this has been done. Apologies on the wait, and all the best. 

Guest Dave

Hi 

Is bed and ISA still available? Is the procedure for getting this done still over the phone?

Thanks,

David

Hi David, 

Yes Bed and ISAs are still available, and you would have to call us to do it.

Daniela

Posted (edited)

Another question. As this is done over the phone, the above mentions the 40 GBP charge on sale of shares.
Is this per position held or for the entire portfolio?
If it's a per-position price I'd imagine this gets really expensive really fast

Edited by DKp

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    Joe86
    Joined 20/08/19 01:38
    • Hi greetings from Singapore & finally someone started a thread on HSI.   😗
    • I am not so advanced like Mercury here but I could at least understand half of what he is talking about. Yes it did trigger me to consider the possibility of the bullish trend pushing price to 30000 levels.
    • Ah! The $64 million (billion, trillion) question! Where's the inflation? I'm afraid I can only offer my own thoughts on that....there are far better qualified people to be had elsewhere. Here are my personal thoughts/threads however.. QE was used (expanded the Fed balance sheet) to purchase US Treasury debt. Elsewhere same reason. It was intended that it would be rolled over as it matured and sold back to the market. Now there's doubt about that or at least some of it. It could just disappear. You're effectively buying your own debt...nice game, nice game....and if you can do that (with one hand on the money press) then you want it as cheaply as possible. If you're effectively the only buyer, you own the market and that itself drives yields lower. Wash,rinse,spin. Throw in some safe haven moments and you get to where we are today. Throughout the whole of the experiment, and that's what it is because no-one knows how this ends (although I expect badly) it became clear that the elites are getting richer...they were the ones with the assets after all. For assets include everything...stocks, property, antiques, paintings, wine etc. Everything Trump has in other words!. Their pay (board level) also got a huge boost in my opinion from performance related share prices due to unprecedented share buy backs - this is on going because credit has never been so cheap. Your pay almost certainly didn't increase. In fact in real terms it went backwards. Lots of studies support that thesis both in US/UK/Europe. The policy is now driving rates well below zero. Just when you thought rates can only go up from here (2016 low) they actually went lower and bonds were and still are the place to be! Wish I had bought Reagan's long term debt. I think this will continue and it links in with my thoughts about Japan the past two decades. Keeping rates below inflation (and they all do) effectively forces you to do your consumer bit and that was the justification/hope/smoke screen, take your pick!. We'll grow our way out of it - scenario 2 a few posts back. The wealth divide is a real concern now and they know it. In consumer led economies, if the consumer had access to that increased money supply and provides it with some velocity (i.e. gets it moving around the economy) THEN you get inflation. You don't have access to it.........yet. Assets are being held up by funny money. Any whiff the central banks (i.e who now ARE the market) will dial back causes immediate stock market roll overs. Draw your own conclusions. The other thought is simply this. Think of deflation as air leaving your tyre. You're pumping like mad to get it back in but however hard you try the tyre is getting flatter! The hole's too big. Deflation wins.....or if you manage to stabilise the pressure then stagnant growth at best. Possibly stagflation 70s style. Get the plaster on and whey, hey! Hyperinflation here we come. Hold gold. Just my penny worth!...and apologies for the length.