Learning to trade shares and stocks

Guest tomcagsey

Guest tomcagsey

Good Afternoon,

I am interested in learning how to invest in the shares and stock market. I am a complete beginner but would like to build my knowledge before I invest. Where is the best place to begin acquiring knowledge in order for me to become a successful trader in the future.

Thank you for your time,

Tom

Guest Tomcagsey
On 19/12/2018 at 17:04, TrendFollower said:

@tomcagsey,

Your first sentence states how you want to learn to 'invest' in the shares and stock market. You second sentence states you want to build your knowledge before you 'invest'. By the time you get to your third sentence you are stating you wish to acquire knowledge to become a successful 'trader'

First of all, investing and trading are different. For me investing is more about long term wealth creation whether that be for capital growth or for income. Trading for me would be a shorter time period and more speculative in nature betting on price movements in a certain direction. 

What you ask is a very simple question but very difficult to answer. If successful investing and trading was just about acquiring knowledge then there would be a lot of people who could merely acquire and retain knowledge and become profitable traders but it does not work like that. 

It is all about how much time, effort, dedication, discipline and capital (money) you want to put into this. 

There will be plenty of material on the Internet which you can read. There will be plenty of books you can read. Reading will be a good starting point. Acquiring knowledge is only the first step and no one can do this for you. You must read and learn yourself first.

You are not a guest member so therefore one would assume that you have an account with IG and must use them to either invest or trade. You may like to begin with material on IG's website first which could be as good a starting point as any. I would not suggest you invest or trade until you really are ready and only you will decide when this is. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to this. My mistake, i am interested in investing only. Creating long term wealth with  the aim of possibly retiring a few years early. I have created an account with IG to allow me to start investing once I am ready. I will start with the material on IG in the first instance on go on from there.

When you are looking at possible stocks/shares to invest in, which area of research do you focus mostly on?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tomcagsey

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your time. I was away over Christmas, hence my delayed response. 

Your advice has given me a lot to think about and digest. Once I have begun my journey, I am sure I will have plenty more questions.

Thank you again.

Happy New Year!!!

Archived