GBPUSD may top out before Brexit

Mercury

Oh dear!  Sods law applies, just after I said I was out of the market it looks like a good (in normal circs) trading opportunity may be about to present itself.  Recent price action has brought my alternative scenario into play for this pair such that the Wave 4 previously tagged at May 2016 high was in fact a Wave A with Wave 4 still to come and Wave B from last Thursday at the start of the current sharp rally.  Of course Wave 4 could still have some time post Brexit to materialise but just now a scenario where the top is just above current price at or near the up-sloping tramline (green) and the down-sloping weekly tramline (purple) is in play.  In addition just above this tramline junction there is a resistance zone about the Fib 50% of the Wave 2 start point.   On the hourly chart we could be nearing the end of the Wave C with a 1-5 count and in the final 5.  

Normally I be hot to Short this set up but Brexit puts a different risk complexion on things.  Having said that the fundamentals of the economy do not seem to justify the rally to me so we could be either seeing an incorrect reading of the result as remain or, more likely, a case of "buy the rumour sell the fact".  Apart from some over exuberance post a remain result I can't see any justification for a sustained rally in GBPUSD can anyone else?

Therefore my strategy will be to wait for Brexit vote result, assuming Remain wins then wait for the overreaction and if this is in keeping with a Wave 4 set up then Short on a suitable retrace rally.  If Leave wins, well let's cross burn that bridge if we come to it...

Total agree  hence my comment about overreaction to the eventual result and only then a return to "business as usual".  Still I expect the long term chart projections to hold true so the issue for me is how/when to identify a low risk/high likelihood of success trade after the volatility settles down.  If we do see a major turning point during this period that will be annoying because it will likely be hard to get in on so have to wait for the next opportunity after that, as you say once the dust settles.

Indeed I am up to date, no more jet lag, thought this Referendum is worse than jet lag...

See link for latest FT tracker (poll of polls), which puts Leave 1 point up, you will also see the You Gov poll I was referring to in the break down below the consol numbers.

https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-polling/?ftcamp=traffic/sem/tactical_brexit/uk_google/essence_sem/auddev

For me this is of academic interest only as I do not think it will have a material long term impact.  See EURUSD today, I took a cheeky short mid morning on the basis of my chart analysis and the pair did what the pair was going to regardless of leave v remain uncertainty.  Bottom line for me is that the Euro is weak because the Eurozone is weak and Draghi will continue to throw good money after bad (or fictitious money after fictitious money) resulting in NIRP for people holding Euros with no end in sight.  In this context remain does noting for the Euro and Leave potentially drives EURGBP down as GBP becomes an offshore currency outside the EU (it kinda already is but Leave would make this more transparent).

Interesting article from the FT a few hours ago:

Some of the world’s largest hedge funds, many of which sat on the sidelines during the UK’s vote to leave the EU, have now moved aggressively to bet against the pound and British stocks in the expectation of a sharp deterioration in the UK economy. Although there were sharp swings in sterling both before and in the immediate aftermath of Thursday’s referendum, hedge funds largely avoided taking large positions in the run-up to the vote due to uncertainty over the result. But several hedge fund mangers said they now were rapidly targeting the pound and UK company shares, considered most vulnerable to a British recession. The managers said they were selling sterling and the FTSE 250 stock index, which consisted of companies linked to the British economy rather than the more internationally focused FTSE 100 index. “Shorting the pound is a consensus trade — people are desperately trying to get into it in a larger size right now,” said a London-based hedge fund manager managing several billion dollars of assets. “The hedge fund community is definitely piling into this trade today, the question it is divided on is how much of a spill over we are going to see from Brexit into other European markets.” Most fund managers spoke to the Financial Times on the condition of anonymity because of the stigma attached to profiting on sterling’s sharp fall and recession expectations. The pound has fallen to its lowest level since 1985, touching $1.3118 on Monday, and has fallen 14 per cent since the polls closed on Thursday evening. This marks the largest two-day decline in sterling during the post-Bretton Woods era that began in 1971.

Really?

Cue rally in GBPUSD and a short squeeze on Hedgies.  Only after the ubiquitous retrace is the short on, unless you were brave enough or had a sufficiently large account to ride out the ridiculous margins to get in around midnight on the 24th...

Short the rallies!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• Copper Elliott Wave Analysis Function - Counter-Trend Mode - Corrective Structure - Zigzag Position -Wave 4 Direction - Wave 5 Details - It appears wave 4 has been completed but we need a confirmation above 4.686 with an impulse break. Otherwise, the price could make a minor corrective bounce below the confirmation level and falter further. Copper prices are reversing upward, recovering from the sell-off that began on May 20, 2024. The broader picture indicates that this sell-off is a correction within the larger bullish cycle that started in October 2023. The current recovery, which began on June 18, 2024, has the potential to rise further and possibly break the high from May 20, 2024.   Daily Chart Analysis: On the daily chart, a bullish impulse wave has been developing since July 2022, when copper hit a low of $3.13. This impulse wave is currently in wave (3). Specifically, wave 3 of (3) concluded at $5.192, and wave 4 of (3) likely ended at the low on June 18. We can anticipate copper prices to recover into wave 5, completing wave (3) above $5.192 before the next pullback for wave (4) occurs. The invalidation level for this wave count is at $3.975.   H4 Chart Analysis: On the H4 chart, wave 4 appears as a double zigzag pattern. Wave a (circled) of 4 ended with an impulse structure, while wave c (circled) concluded with an ending diagonal pattern. A bullish confirmation would occur if the price breaches $4.686 with an impulse wave, indicating a strong likelihood of further recovery.   Alternative Scenario: Alternatively, the decline on the H4 chart could be interpreted as an impulse wave. If this is the case, the current bullish recovery remains valid. However, we would not see a breach of the $5.192 high before the price resumes its downward movement to break below $4.379. Therefore, in both scenarios, copper prices are expected to maintain their current recovery to at least the $4.69-$4.788 range in the near term.   Summary: Copper has been recovering from the sell-off that started on May 20, 2024, within the context of a larger bullish cycle that began in October 2023. On the daily chart, a bullish impulse wave has been forming since July 2022, with wave 3 of (3) completing at $5.192 and wave 4 of (3) likely concluding at the June 18 low. The price is expected to rise into wave 5, surpassing $5.192 before the next pullback for wave (4). The invalidation level for this wave count is at $3.975.   On the H4 chart, wave 4 is identified as a double zigzag, with wave a (circled) ending in an impulse and wave c (circled) in an ending diagonal. Bullish confirmation would be a break above $4.686 with an impulse wave, signaling further recovery.    Alternatively, if the decline is an impulse wave, the bullish recovery is still valid but without breaching $5.192 before dropping below $4.379. In either scenario, copper prices are likely to continue recovering to the $4.69-$4.788 range in the near term. Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • ADI Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge Daily Chart, Analog Devices Inc., (ADI) Daily Chart ADI Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION: Trend MODE: Impulsive STRUCTURE: Motive POSITION: Minor wave 3 DIRECTION: Top in 3.   DETAILS: Looking for continuation higher towards medium level at 250$. We have a nice alternation between a sideways wave {iv} and a sharp wave {ii}.   ADI Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge 4Hr Chart, Analog Devices Inc., (ADI) 4Hr Chart ADI Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION: Trend MODE: Impulsive STRUCTURE: Motive   POSITION: Wave {v}. DIRECTION: Upside in wave {v}. DETAILS: We seem to have completed the correction in wave {iv} with a clear three wave structure. Looking for continuation higher into equality of {v} vs. {i} at 254$.   Welcome to our latest Elliott Wave analysis for Analog Devices Inc. (ADI) as of June 19, 2024. This analysis provides an in-depth look at ADI's price movements using the Elliott Wave Theory, helping traders identify potential opportunities based on current trends and market structure. We will cover insights from both the daily and 4-hour charts to offer a comprehensive perspective on ADI's market behavior.   * ADI Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – Daily Chart* In our Elliott Wave analysis of Analog Devices Inc. (ADI), we observe an impulsive trend pattern characterized by a motive structure. ADI is currently positioned in Minor wave 3, indicating a continuation higher towards the medium level at $250. The wave structure shows a clear alternation between a sideways wave {iv} and a sharp wave {ii}, which is a typical feature in Elliott Wave theory, suggesting healthy trend progression. Traders should monitor for the top in Minor wave 3 and the potential transition into wave {v}, which could offer opportunities for profit-taking or strategic adjustments to long positions.   * ADI Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – 4Hr Chart* On the 4-hour chart, ADI continues to follow an impulsive trend mode within a motive structure, specifically in wave {v}. The recent correction in wave {iv} appears to have completed with a clear three-wave structure, indicating a possible resumption of the uptrend. The target for wave {v} is set at the equality of {v} vs. {i} at $254. Traders should look for confirmation of this upward movement as the wave {v} progresses towards the target level, which may present opportunities for entering long positions or adding to existing ones.   Technical Analyst : Alessio Barretta Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Asian shares rose to a one-month high on Wednesday, led by a rally in tech stocks like Nvidia which surpassed Microsoft to become the world's most valuable company. The dollar was steady as soft US retail sales data reinforced expectations of the Federal Reserve cutting interest rates later this year. Markets are pricing in around 48 basis points of rate cuts by the Fed in 2024. Trading is expected to be muted due to the US markets being closed for the Juneteenth holiday on Wednesday. Oil prices were steady, with Brent crude around $85 per barrel and WTI crude near $81.5 per barrel. UK inflation slowed to 2% year-on-year in May, from 2.3%, and held at 0.3% month-on-month. Core CPI slowed to 3.5% YoY from 3.9%. 
us