7 trade idea triggers

trade247

Get this via email from another broker but thought it was a good copy/paste. Thought it was worth a share and could give a few trade ideas. Also should we get a 'quick trade ideas' section running again? Or maybe @JamesIG can sort a competition or something based on new trade ideas? ;)

• Optimism is fading as the US’s power struggle with China and Iran continues. By Wednesday morning, markets across the globe were feeling deflated as investors signalled a lack of appetite for the current level of political risk. In the US, the Dow Jones, S&P 500 and Nasdaq closed on Tuesday down 0.6%, 1.1% and 1.8% respectively since the start of the week, while China’s Shanghai Composite had dropped 1.6% by its close on Wednesday. In Europe, the picture is slightly better, with the FTSE 100 remaining flat overall. Germany’s DAX is one of the few major markets to post a positive result: on Wednesday morning it spiked to €12,290.46, up 0.13% from the start of the week.
  • Disney shares to enter new magical era? Some analysts view the stock’s latest holding pattern as a signal to buy, anticipating a further breakout after the company’s shares reached a record-high of $143 last week. Meanwhile, the company’s streaming strategy is gaining steam as Hulu, which Disney owns 60% of, has racked up 3.8m US subscribers in the year to date – outpacing competitor Netflix. Can Disney shares retest last week's all-time high? 
  • Micron surprises investors with latest results. Shares rallied as much as 10% in after-hours trading after the chipmaker delivered adjusted EPS of $1.05 and revenues of $4.79bn last quarter – both exceeding consensus forecasts (although still representing a 39% year-on-year revenue drop). Overall, its shares are down 25.7% since its year-to-date high of $43.99 and 0.2% since the start of the year. Some analysts now view Micron as a buy opportunity – with BAML saying they see value in the company’s low valuation.
  • UK high streets still have their champions. While the high-profile turnaround struggles of Debenhams and New Look have been well-documented of late, stocks in sectors like sports retail and value apparel are bucking the trend with strong year-to-date growth. The 3 stocks bucking UK retail's spiralling decline.
  • Match Group enters buying territory. After a dip during the latter half of last week, the parent of dating app Tinder rebounded sharply, rising 7% to 71.48 through Monday. That puts the stock 5% below its flat-base buy point of $75.38, according to Investor’s Business Daily. Match’s stock has had a meteoric 58% rise year-to-date, powered by strong metrics around the Tinder app’s usage and plans to tap Asia’s legion of smartphone users.
  • FedEx reports estimates-beating results. On Tuesday, FedEx announced earnings of $5.01 per share based on revenues of $17.81bn, beating consensus EPS estimates by $0.20. The results do not seem to be enough to reverse the logistics company’s share price trajectory, though, which continued to fall in after-hours trading. On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that FedEx had been slashing prices to support its Express service – which also cut ties with Amazon earlier this month – sending the share value down 4.9% by Tuesday’s close.
  • Evercore switches tune on Spotify. Evercore ISI analysts downgraded the Swedish music streaming company from in-line to underperform, cutting its price target by $15 to $110, citing scepticism over the ability to meet Wall Street estimates. Spotify’s stock closed down 1% to $145.69 on Monday. Also on Monday Spotify was revealed to have been exaggerating the amount of “app tax” it pays on Apple’s App Store; Spotify’s CEO Daniel Ek has complained that Apple requires Spotify to pay a 30% tax on purchases made through Apple’s payment system; Apple responded by saying Spotify has never paid more than 15%. 
  • Nike’s earnings missed expectations for the first time since 2012. The sneaker giant’s earnings fell short of Wall Street estimates, coming in at $0.62 for the quarter and $2.49 for the year, compared to the $0.66 and $2.55 expected, respectively. Analysts remain bullish on the stock, though, with Morgan Stanley’s Lauren Cassel saying ‘NKE remains our top pick’. 
  • Uber hits an all-time high. On Friday, the ride-hailing platform’s shares closed at $46.38, up 7% from Thursday’s open. The rally, which marks the first time Uber’s share price has closed above its IPO price of $45, followed news that the company plans to expand its services into West Africa. It remains to be seen if Uber can continue this momentum; its Q1 results, released on 3 June, showed net losses had more than doubled from $478m in 2018 to $1.01bn. 

Archived