Sign in to follow this  

Overwhelmed

I thought I would pull back to daily/weekly charts as that would be easier to get good at (since you will tend to have looser stops and so on).  Then I started looking at hourly charts, and I had a strong feeling that you get an advantage from a timing perspective and you also avoid holding on to positions that get you shafted when the market gaps up/down the next day.  Tight stops mean you get closed out very quickly, but it limits your losses IF you resist the temptation to keep re-entering the trade.

So many perspectives, indicators.  I actually feel overwhelmed and overstimulated to the point of burn out and depression.

Just buy and hold, and take up knitting?

Edited by dmedin

@dmedin,

Buy and Hold is more an investing strategy. Investing and trading are both different. Some will only invest. Some will only trade and others will both invest and trade. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you deciding to just invest and adopting a buy and hold strategy if that suits your personality, knowledge, experience, skills and abilities. Just remember that what ever you buy (invest) and then hold for a period of time, you still need an exit plan as otherwise if you just hold and never sell then it is not an investment but a purchase. Also if you do not take profits then it is not an investment. You still must have an exit plan for any investments. You still must have an investment plan with aims and objectives. 

I saw a lot of people buy (invest) in bank shares prior to the financial crisis over ten years ago. The prices were going up and up but they refused to sell and had no exit plan. Then when the financial crisis came the shares got hammered and were at all time lows. Some to this day still hold them and they have lost their capital. You must avoid this at all costs. 

All the best. 

• Like 1

Yes ... buying and holding is only for when you spread out your investments ('diversify').

I guess there is no way around it, will have to use a combination of longer- and shorter-term charts.

@dmedin,

I do not use really use short term charts for investing if I am being honest. I never have and it has not caused me any real issues. I have been investing for many years now. I use 'Cost Pound Averaging' strategy and only invest lump sums during recessionary periods or periods of major corrections and drops. Otherwise continuous monthly investing into several different investments every single month for many years now. I have switched when I have identified that some other investment themes could help my portfolio perform better if I switched into them and out of the lesser performing themes. 

• Like 1

I firmly believe that if you cannot succeed in long term investing and make profits then the chances are against you in being successful in trading over a long period. Yes, you may get lucky but that is akin to gambling. 

An excellent recent theme has been Automation, Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. Another one has been Japanese Smaller Companies. US Small Caps has been another. There have been many exceptional themes over the past many years including India, China, UK Micro Caps, etc. 

Feel free to have a look at my 'Investment' threads which may give you some ideas of the types of investments to consider.