Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Oil rally primed?

Recommended Posts

That Oil rally that I have been tracking gave us a teasing signal last week but no clear breakout and now, with USDCAD rallying post NFP it looks like a retrace down is on the cards but only to set up a stronger rally.  If I am right about USD (see other posts) and USDCAD rally runs out of steam soon then that could all signal Oil will retrace briefly to set up that rally.

 

2 alternatives:

  1. Rally to daily down trend line then turn back down
  2. Doesn't retrace but just rallies up thru resistance



Share this post


Link to post

As they say "Missing fish is always a big one" :)

 

From July:

 

"I think its started for Crude at 49 when its broken down the trend line from the bottom. Also, when we consider current economic outlook, brexit etc. I think it will retrace till 44-40-36 before moving up again..."

Share this post


Link to post

As you say  the BIG fish got away.  Alas I was away when it all happened but there you are.  For me it is all about managing scenarios, their likelihoods of being right and risk management around placing a trade against any of the scenarios.  So I actively track multiple scenarios on any given market until I get to a decision point.  One such occurred on Oil over the past 3 days and my scenario 1 from my past post was the one that proved correct.  I was set up to enter either and got Short before and after the EIA crude stocks data release yesterday.  The turn happened at the Fib 38% off the 9 June high.  So far so good but where do we go from here?

 

Again I have 2 scenarios as follows:

  1. Lead is a return towards the lower daily tramline and Fib 50% ($40), which is then another pivotal point (drop thru or rally back up?)
  2. Because the move up to 19 Aug turn can be counted as either an A-B-C or a 1-5 a Wave B could have been established on 2 Aug meaning the current move is a 1-2 and will turn up again forming a higher low vs 2 Aug.  We are at the Fib 50% down as I write, which is also prior support zone.  Fib 62% also a strong possibility.



 

Share this post


Link to post

So the Fib 50% was the turning point on the hourly and now with a fresh higher high scenario 2 must surely be the lead set up right?  Of course there is now another scenario, which is that this move up is an A-B-C retrace, which would indicate a wave C ending point in or around 4700-50 area at a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post

So I looked again at that alternative scenario I mentioned yesterday and now I think it is the lead scenario just now.

 

There is just too much resistance above, which would take a lot of bullish sentiment to break through.  The move up looks like an A-B-C to me with yesterdays rally constituting the bulk of the wave C.  I expect a final push up into the 4750 resistance zone, where there is also a junction of 2 tramline lines offering resistance and the Fib 50% off the previous rally high (Pink A/4).  With Neg Mom Div building on all time frames I am reversing my stance to bearish once more and seeking shorts off a rebound from the Fib 50% area with a target on 4000 initially.

 

Any thoughts please?

 



Share this post


Link to post

Not too shore, if we could be completing the W4 down to the 61 fib level on oil, however has just rejected the 50% retracement, therefore wait for confirmation of termination of WC. However as you quite rightly pointed out, the tramline on daily has not been kissed yet, therefore probably hold fire for now, although we are getting some neg momentum. Best wait for more confirmation.

Oil - Brent Crude (DFB).png

 

Oil - Brent Crude (DFB).png

 

Share this post


Link to post

So looks like my first instinct that the bear move had come to an end in a Wave B was right.  The down trend cannot be in 1-5 now due to the overlap of wave 1 end.  Therefore an A-B-C ending up between $55-60 seems more likely.

 

Buy the dips I guess...

 



Share this post


Link to post

US CRUDE 1h.png

Hi Mercury, as you suggest, always best to review your analysis often, as I have found that we some times allow our eyes to see what we want, instead of what we should strictly see, hence why these strict rules in our strategy help us keep out of trouble. I don't know your opinion and I know I have created once again a double zigzag, but it does suggest that this is the case which would support then the analysis. Might also add that the RSI or in your case very similar the stochastic is only approaching oversold, which therefore suggests further that we can presume this a continuation of the previous daily bullish trend.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      7,638
    • Total Posts
      39,331
    • Total Members
      49,552
    Newest Member
    georgiadavis
    Joined 23/10/19 15:25
  • Posts

    • Hey @dmedin I've spoken to the marketing team about this. Although we have the footnote regarding the 6 hour time off, I do see where you're coming from so I will pass on the information. Luckily they sit very close to me!  Thanks for leaving your feedback
    • Bitcoin continues to follow my road map.  The 8800 level remains a vital resistance zone but right now a more important zone of support is coming up.  This is an area I highlighted previously as a make or break as I feel a break lower through this area (circa 7200, the Fib 62% level, or between 7000-7400) would suggest a full breakdown in the market and possibly signaling the end is nigh. The fundamentals could be construed as supporting this scenario if you believe the price action is more indicative of a highly speculative mania.  Certainly the % or IG traders Long suggests that everyone is eager for another massive rally, despite the technicals...  In order for crypto to supplant either Gold as a store of value or Fiat currency as a means of barter the speculation has to stop and cryptos like Bitcoin (well in fact for the ultimate vision to become reality there can be only one really) have to be essentially valueless (in the sense that it cannot be valued in USD).  Crypto has to resolve the split personality issue as well.  Is it a challenge to Gold or a challenge to Fiat?  Can it credibly be both?  If we get a major financial system crash in the near term I don't think any of the Cryptos will be sufficiently established to be either.  So that leaves speculation for now and such markets are not much different to other speculative financial markets so for now I am leaning towards a bounce off the bottom of the consolidation Triangle (maybe around the Fib 62%) and a final rally. If that occurs then the projection for a rally end is about 18000, which is lower than the previous ATH as around the Fib 88.6% level.  However that unclosed gap still lurks around 6000...  Interestingly the 8800 level is setting up to align with a break of the upper Triangle line.  If we do see a bounce then the next big make or break will be a test of that resistance zone and a breakout of that to the upside should herald a big rally phase.
    • First a miss from Cat and then a slight beat from Boeing though with a reduced production outlook sees Dow down then climbing back up from S2.
×
×