IG Web API

Good morning,

I am trying to connect to the IG web gateway as outlined in IG Labs.

https://labs.ig.com/

But the connection is rejected. And the error - HttpResponse StatusCode = Unauthorized is returned.

I have double checked my key, password and firewall.

Has anyone actually ever got the API to work? Does it still work...

Thanks, this is really frustrating

Fig

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• @FrancoisT, even if there are no trades happening, evolving market conditions make market participants modify the price they're willing to sell or buy a certain symbol at, i.e. they re-quote bid/ask. Ultimately, when you're trading a centralized exchange-traded instrument (e.g. AAPL non-CFD stock) you can have access to both trades and bid-ask quotes, though not all platforms provide this. When you're trading a non-centralized instrument (e.g. FOREX), by design trades are not reported so you can only see bid-ask quotes and not trades. When you're trading a CFD (like at IG), even if it's of a centralized exchange-traded instrument, showing trades makes little sense. Showing trades from the exchange would be factually wrong - the CFD correlates but does not equal to the trades on the exchange. Showing trades from the broker (e.g. IG) platform only would capture very small volume and would not be representative of the whole market.
    • @Franswa38, if I'm not mistaken, on your photo you're pointing at April 17 22:45 BST 15 minute ask candle. If I'm not mistaken, at that point in time, EUR/USD bid-ask spread was around 0.00050. If you are basing your 42 pips in profit on the demonstrated ask graph, you're ignoring the spread you will have to pay to close long position - you will sell using bid, not ask price. If you subtract ~0.00050 spread from 42 pips you think you're in profit, $9.28 makes much more sense. In short, to monitor the profit on a long position you need to look at the bid, not ask graph. For that, click on the "Ask" text near "15 Mins" and choose "Bid". You should use ask graph only when you're opening long position, not when you're monitoring it.   P. S. From the photo alone, I would imply the bid price was where the horizontal blue line is, much lower than the ask price you're pointing at.
    • Yes I agree Guru, giving current examples is a good way of doing it! I have been trading for over 20 years and in the last 11 years I found myself mainly trading DAX (Germany) 40, because it is the easiest and most profitable. Which market do you find easiest to trade, Guru? Does anybody else find DAX easier to trade than other markets?  I am interested in hearing other traders' experiences.
us