Can't add a new stocks and shares ISA

Sunomo

Question

Hello - I have a stocks and shares ISA with IG for tax year 2019/2020.  I wanted to open a new stocks and shares ISA with IG for the new tax year which has just started (2020/2021).  However, whenever I go to Add Account and click on ISA, it gives me the following error message:  "You've reached the maximum number of self-managed stocks and shares ISAs you can have with IG".

Is it that I can only ever have one stocks and shares ISA per provider?  I understand I can only open one stocks and shares ISA per tax year, but why can't I open a new one in a different tax year with IG if I already have one in a previous year with IG?  If I wanted to open a stocks and shares ISA every tax year to take advantage of the allowance, is it that I have to use a different provider each and every time?  That seems a bit ridiculous.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ian.

3 answers to this question

On 10/04/2020 at 08:43, Sunomo said:

Hello - I have a stocks and shares ISA with IG for tax year 2019/2020.  I wanted to open a new stocks and shares ISA with IG for the new tax year which has just started (2020/2021).  However, whenever I go to Add Account and click on ISA, it gives me the following error message:  "You've reached the maximum number of self-managed stocks and shares ISAs you can have with IG".

Is it that I can only ever have one stocks and shares ISA per provider?  I understand I can only open one stocks and shares ISA per tax year, but why can't I open a new one in a different tax year with IG if I already have one in a previous year with IG?  If I wanted to open a stocks and shares ISA every tax year to take advantage of the allowance, is it that I have to use a different provider each and every time?  That seems a bit ridiculous.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ian.

Thanks for your post. 

If you have not funded this tax year IG will not prevent you opening/ funding your IG ISA account. Apologies if there was a delay that was confusing. 

Traders can have different tax year with different providers you just can't split the allowance over two providers for the same year. 

All the best.

Yes Sunomo, I am in the same position of having opened an Stocks & Shares ISA with IG in the 2019/20 tax year and then have had the same blocking message when trying to open another with them in this new tax year of 2020/21.  Regret that I don`t really understand Charlotte`s kind response - do you?   My best quess is that only one such ISA can  ever be held with any one provider so am having to start from scratch researching outside of IG for a new account.

Appreciated that you asked this question.  Good luck.

Sorry the answer took over a year! The answer is to fund your account opened in a previous year and i will count for this years allowance.