unable to open platform, browser redirects?

Megamuch

Question

9 answers to this question

Having the same issue which is ultra-hard to debug:

Using FirefoxPortable to check if the browser itself has an issue: works on two different laptops but fails on the third.

All three operate with Windows 7 SP1, all have the same Hotfixes, Patches and Updates installed.

All have TLS1.2 enabled.

The only difference is the graphics card, so I tried to disable hardware accelleration in Firefox and also tried to disable WebGL. Without effect, the same error still persists.

It also will fail the same with Tor Browser on that laptop (which might also rule out the network part as Tor uses its own stack) while Tor Browser works with IG Platform on the other two laptops.

Before the redirection to IG UK Website happens, for a second an error message is shown below the IG logo:

?? general-error.header ??

??general-error.subtext ??

I've got no idea what could relate to this error and why Firefox is failing on that specific PC while it runs in exactly the same portable configuration on other two.

IG.png

4 hours ago, xenoide said:

Having the same issue which is ultra-hard to debug:

Using FirefoxPortable to check if the browser itself has an issue: works on two different laptops but fails on the third.

All three operate with Windows 7 SP1, all have the same Hotfixes, Patches and Updates installed.

All have TLS1.2 enabled.

The only difference is the graphics card, so I tried to disable hardware accelleration in Firefox and also tried to disable WebGL. Without effect, the same error still persists.

It also will fail the same with Tor Browser on that laptop (which might also rule out the network part as Tor uses its own stack) while Tor Browser works with IG Platform on the other two laptops.

Before the redirection to IG UK Website happens, for a second an error message is shown below the IG logo:

?? general-error.header ??

??general-error.subtext ??

I've got no idea what could relate to this error and why Firefox is failing on that specific PC while it runs in exactly the same portable configuration on other two.

IG.png

Hi @xenoide,
Have you tried to clear the cache and cookies? Have you tried with another browser? It could also be due to a firewall.
If you are still having an issue,please reach out to helpdesk.uk@ig.com for the IT team to have a look into it.

Thank you - Arvin

5 hours ago, ArvinIG said:

Hi @xenoide,
Have you tried to clear the cache and cookies? Have you tried with another browser? It could also be due to a firewall.
If you are still having an issue,please reach out to helpdesk.uk@ig.com for the IT team to have a look into it.

Thank you - Arvin

Hi @ArvinIG,

thank you for your reply, yes in fact I have already tried a lot to debug it and it does not seem to be Firefox itself causing the problem. A portable installation of Firefox is something that you can put on a USB stick and move it from PC to PC. So the exactly same installation on the USB stick works on two PCs and fails on the thir with the error above. Also a non-portable fresh installation of Firefox shows the same behavior as does the Tor Browser (Firefox based).

Chrome however works, but Chrome uses a completely different rendering engine.

I really would like to understand the root cause of this issue as it may indicate other (hidden) issues on the computer which fails to load the platform. Please also note the posts above, it seems to affect others as well.

However I have found a way to reproduce the problem even on machines where it would usually work with Firefox:

1. Open Firefox and clear all history with all site data, cookies and cache (select timeframe "Everything" and click all checkboxes)

2. Load the MyIG Dashboard

3. Press F12 to open the Debugger

4. In the Debugger, switch to the Network Tab

5. On the right side of the debugger set Throttling to "Regular 2G"

6. Click the "Open Platform" button and wait until the error shows

Now repeat the same steps but this time choose "Good 2G" instead. This time the platform will load successfully.

The explanation for this behavior seems to be related to the JavaScript engine and the related timings there. Very fast computers might have issues with Firefox JavaScript timings resulting in the error behaviour. So this could indicate that CPU speed and hyperthreading might show this behaviour on some computers while others won't suffer from it.

I'm not sure if 1st level support at the UK helpdesk is able to understand this problem as it is very technical and related to platform programming. Maybe you or somone else could advise to whom it could be addressed for solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Been with IG a few years and was always able to log in to MYIG with  Firefox V88, V90, V101,  but since yesterday I havent been able to  because the login prompt produces a green "Go To PLatform" button,a nd when I press it, i get thrown back ot the login prompt.

Its a carbon copy of this  problem mentioned in this thread a few years ago. Just wondering if anybody had a fix, because I know IG wont....  lol   Im on Firefox V101. I tried V102, or V104.0.8b wont fix it either.

This is some kind of Firefox rendering engine thing which also is hardware dependent (the exact same copy of Firefox Portable works on slower computers for me but fails on faster ones)

Meanwhile I use IG with Chromium Portable dedicated to it (which is an Un-Googled version of Chrome), I can recomend to you to try it out, never had any issues with Chromium no matter what hardware I used.

Yeah the funny thing is that it happened in Ff V101 which has been fine so far. Then I put the motherboard into an unusable state deliberately shorting the CMOS jumper, couldnt get it to boot at all, until I reseated the RAM, then when I came back online this happened. Could just be a massive co incidence, but Im thinking something changed from that episode.

Yeah, Chrome, Brave all work ok, but consume too much memory to be running a 2nd browser. Running Java with PRT maxes out 16Gb of memory! I'll try Chromium portable if it has a low memory footprint.

And....after a few days, the problem fixed itself.   I didnt make any changes on my end so I doubt Firefox was the culprit. Could have been a hardware glitch along the many hops my data routes through the net perhaps, but who knows?

On 07/09/2021 at 17:19, xenoide said: